Hiking Shoelaces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get high quality replacement shoelaces for my hiking boots? I strongly dislike the generic laces sold everywhere with the rubber shink tips that I need to cut to complete the shoelace.

It's hard to see what they look like. Have you actually used them and could you provide a mini review? Tx

I have the Yankz on my trail running shoes. I've only had them for a few months (I got a free pair at The Running Event in Austin back in October) but I can give you my impressions so far.
My TR's are TNF Ultra 103 GTX's, the eyelets are plastic and a little sharp at the corners. The shock cord tended to catch on the eyelets a little so it took a little while to adjust the laces so they didn't pinch at one spot while being too loose in another.
I like the ability of my foot to flex normally while being hugged very securely by the shoe and I love the way they just slip on and off once you've got the laces adjusted and secured.

I'll be definitely getting another pair once these ones wear out.

Good stuff.

Boa Lacing Sytems

Does anyone know if there is a product much like the Boa Lacing Sytems that can be used on any boots. If your not sure what I'm talking about here is a link to some "The North Face" boots with the system BOOTS

I have also been looking for replacement bungy laces for my trail runners.

My wife keeps telling me about the benefit of COTTON laces used in figure skating boots. What should I look for in a good pair of laces?

My wife keeps telling me about the benefit of COTTON laces used in figure skating boots. What should I look for in a good pair of laces?
Cotton kills!
:D I remember how difficult it was as a kid to untie my Chuck Taylors after the cotton laces became wet.

I started to doubt my ability to tie my own shoes when round laces became the norm. Kept on opening, felt loose after a few miles, etc. After buying a new pair of Asolos which came with flat laces, I found my lace tying skills came back. The only criticism I have for them is the outer weave of the lace is a bit loose (for stretchiness?) but that makes it catch on the lace hooks easily if I'm not careful -- I don't know if a tighter outer would make it untie easier.

Jim

Last edited:
If you mean 'cotton kills' as in cotton clothing outdoors (which we can all agree on) then I hope you're kidding with the shoelaces. :)

Brambor said:
If you mean 'cotton kills' as in cotton clothing outdoors (which we can all agree on) then I hope you're kidding with the shoelaces. :)
* cotton is not as strong as synthetics
* probably doesn't wear as well as the synthetics
* knots are more prone to freezing.

So if your life depends on your shoelace not breaking or your being able to untie your laces quickly, then I suppose cotton laces could kill you. :)

Had to stretch a bit for this one...

Doug

PS, there is actually a serious analog to the above. Some crampons used to come with cotton straps. The straps would rapidly freeze up and become next to useless.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
* cotton is not as strong as synthetics
* probably doesn't wear as well as the synthetics
* knots are more prone to freezing.

So if your life depends on your shoelace not breaking or your being able to untie your laces quickly, then I suppose cotton laces could kill you. :)

Had to stretch a bit for this one...

Doug

And if things are truly dire, and you happen to be on the mountain you want to die on you would have better luck hanging yourself with a synthetic shoelace - it would really stink if the cotton one could not hold your weight. :eek:

:D :D :D

funny stuff. All I really want is to have the same shoelaces as the ones I bought with my boots. Why don't (at least I haven't found) the bootmakers offer their shoelaces as a separate purchase.

Seriously, I have found some good ones at EMS - I think they are synthetic, brown in color...they have some sort of wax coat on them that makes them easier to tighten - they do not appear to freeze and I have yet to break one.

I hate the ones that you have to attach the aglet(that is my 50 cent word for the day - perhaps the year) too...they never seem to work for me - I stopped buying them.

Flat Laces stay tighter longer

I have found that flat laces seem to stay tied longer and are less prone to slippage compared to round laces. Not quite as stylish, but in my opinion, more functional.

That's a lot of laces [link]. I'm in need of several, so this thread is excellent.

Agree that all my hiking boot replacement stuff is crap -- even from mtnr stores. And, I have a real problem with those round laces -- I'm always dbl knotting. Strangely enough though, the round laces on my snowboard boots are excellent. Nice diameter and stay tight. That may be an option to those looking.

On the above link - I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between a boot lace and a hiking boot lace. I see that there are some nylon laces for a boot, but all the hiking is poly. Why would that be??