how do i put replacement screws in stablilicers???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
I need help. I tried with a screwdriver, with a socket as suggested, and it's not working. They are flat ended like bolts, and I can't even seem to start the things.

I haven't lost any of the screws yet. I know that the company sells really expensive replacements. Is there any reason why simple, $0.03 cent sheet metal screws wouldn't work as replacements?

Also, it was my plan to put a dab of Shoe Goo in the Stablicer missing screw hole and then insert the replacement. It might keep the screws from falling out so easily and not be permanent.

Peakbagr said:
I haven't lost any of the screws yet. I know that the company sells really expensive replacements. Is there any reason why simple, $0.03 cent sheet metal screws wouldn't work as replacements?
The mfgr claims the screws are case hardened. They also have a concave head which will give a better grip than the head of a sheet metal screw.

Also, it was my plan to put a dab of Shoe Goo in the Stablicer missing screw hole and then insert the replacement. It might keep the screws from falling out so easily and not be permanent.
I tried it. No problems for a short <2mi bit. I still don't know if I will be able to get the screws out when the heads become worn.

Doug

the problem is starting it. the rubber comes together and there is just about no hole to screw it into. i just got one in with the screwdriver but im afraid im just stripping it totally. ill just keep trying. no way can i get them in with the socket

hmm...i just took one of the old ones out. they are screws. these 'replacement' ones are bolts..flat bottom..and nowhere near as long. what a RIP OFF!!!

Just got some from the company. Including shipping they come out to 14 cents eadh. They're screws, not bolts (at least in my case), have a concave top with good cutting edges for grip, and I started them with my fingers before using a screwdriver. My concern is screwing them in too much and simply digging the rubber out of the hole, so I put them in tight-ish but not too tight.

They're being used Sunday, so we'll see how they work.

Didn't know that. I was told that the replacement screws were very expensive. I can live with 0.14 cents each.
What did they charge to ship the replacement screws to you?

Thanks

Peakbagr said:
Didn't know that. I was told that the replacement screws were very expensive. I can live with 0.14 cents each.

Thanks

I had gotten a 50 pack from 32north directly as well.
0.14 each includes the shipping:
STABILicers Replacement stabcleat1 1 5.50

Subtotal 5.50
Shipping 1.50
Total 7.00

These are the ones for the regular Stabilicer, not the Sport or Overshoe. They appear pretty much identical to the ones that came on the Stabilicer. One minor problem is that if you lose the screw while hiking, the hole can fill up with sand etc, so I have tried to clean that out a bit before putting in a replacement.

fyi, a helpful hint: if you are using them in an area with road salt or ice melt or something, make sure you clean them off when you have a chance, mine have rusted a little bit when I was shoveling my steep icy driveway & I had put down some ice-melt.

I lost 2 screws earlier this year on mine. Had no luck getting replacements at EMS or REI (I could order them and wait), but ended up getting a bag of 50 from Campmor for $3.99.
Of course I had to order some other things too just to justify the shipping (6 bucks I think) but you can always find something you need there.

As of two weeks ago, Ragged Mountain in Conway/Bartlett had sets of replacement sscrews. That may be worth checking out if you are in the area.

Peakbagr said:

Thanks
5 bucks for 50 screws, 2 bucks for shipping (or maybe it was 4 and 3, I forget), so the total was $7.00 for 50. BTW, 32 North is in Biddeford, ME, about 15 or 20 miles from me, so I got them the day after they shipped them out. :)

If anyone knows of motorcycle or racing merchant in north country where motorcycle ice racing foes on, you might be able puchase the screws from them. Stabilicer probably adapted the motorcycle tire ice screws to create their product. It's interesting to note hikers can use these screws on their own boots to fashion screw boots. Screws can be removed later with only minor damage to the boot tread. Here's cut and paste from a webite that caters to ice racers:

KOLD KUTTER ICE RACING SCREWS V-Cut precision edge are sharper, harder, and self cleaning. When you need that competitive edge or when you want to cover your buddies with ice chips, Kold Kutters are the only way to go! Great for motorcycles, ATVs, and Snowmobiles. Legal for AMA & New England ice racing. (Note* Tire liners are required for 1" and longer screws)