Trail maps/guides for White mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
As I read your posts daily, I wonder how everyone is so knowledgeable about different trails. Are there any good Books or specific maps that show all the trails in the whites? Also what topo maps/software/gps is everyone using? Is there topo software that stands out in your opinion?

The AMC White Mountain Guide and associated maps are the bible for hiking in the Whites. There are other good guides and maps, but none so complete.

-dave-

Mr. Metsky modestly declines to refer you to his own website, which is loaded with useful information. Mohamed's site is equally good.

These are the books I have used the most:

AMC White Mountain Guide
White Mountains Map Book by Steve Bushey and Angela Faeth
The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains by Steven D. Smith and Mike Dickerman
Snowshoe Hikes in the White Mountains by Steven D. Smith
50 Hikes in the White Mountains by Daniel Doan and Ruth Doan Macdougall
Hiking New Hampshire by Larry Pletcher

The first two books include excellent maps. I suggest buying your books at Steve Smith's bookstore, The Mountain Wanderer.

Steve

Last edited:
I suggest buying your books at Steve Smith's bookstore, The Mountain Wanderer.

I agree with Steve (sp1936). I've only had VERY positive experiences with this book store. He's great to do business with. has first hand knowledge of area, knows when guidebooks are up for re-printing, and he won't sell you books or maps that you don't need. His shipping charges are not infinity...you know the old joke, "What is greater than infinity?"...answer, shipping and handling. That is NOT the case with his store. He's also VERY prompt with sending books/maps out to customers....you really won't go wrong with this place.

New Hampshire Hiking Maps

I have put a draft of a section about New Hampshire Hiking Maps on my web site. So far I have only written about the maps that cover the whole (or most of) the WMNF, I plan to also describe the rather large number of regional maps. (When? Your guess is as good as mine.)

If you are in the Lincoln area I suggest visiting Steve at The Mountain Wanderer rather than calling. He has pretty close to every single hiking book or map of the Northeast in stock, and will show them off to you.

Last edited:
kjbjette said:
As I read your posts daily, I wonder how everyone is so knowledgeable about different trails.
A large part of the answer is years of hiking, reading and talking about our mountains.

I remember how intimidated I originally was by my hiking companions who seemed to have been everywhere and to know everything! Then as I hiked, read and talked to them, I gradually learned more and more.

sli74 said:
I have a waterproof map for the Presidential Range and was wondering if the entire set of 6 maps comes on waterproof paper? I find that I tend to accidentally wash them sometimes . . .ooops

sli74
Yes you can buy the whole set waterproof. It's an item on the AMC store's price list. I got one - nice. I use it when I'm hiking and leave the ones that came with the book back home in the book for planning the next hike. They come in a nice little zip-lock.

Pb

Last edited:
As of the previous edition of the WMG, you could get the full set on waterproof Tyvek. They're just a little bit different - the Presidentials map has a detailed Northern's map on the back, for example.

sli74 said:
I have a waterproof map for the Presidential Range and was wondering if the entire set of 6 maps comes on waterproof paper? I find that I tend to accidentally wash them sometimes . . .ooops

sli74
I few months ago my set of tyvec maps was so grubby that I intentionally washed them :)

When you hike every week you absolutely need tyvec maps, not because they are washable but because they are indestructible. With serious use paper maps soon start disintegrating at the folds.

That is why I describe the material of each map on my maps page.

Another good map that is also waterproof is the Map Adventures White Mountain Trail map. I like that there is only one map and it covers nearly all of the Whites at about the same scale as the AMC maps. I also like the fact that the distances are printed on the map adjacent to the trails.

I know some folks (e.g., Mohamed) don't like the metric contours (though summit elevations are listed in feet). I also wish it covered the Mahoosucs and Moosilauke. But for planning purposes for hikes in most of the Whites (and for figuring out which peak is which when you're on a summit) it's a great map.

And now for something completely different, but related. I found that my appreciation for the White Mountains multiplied after reading:

The White Mountain Reader, edited by Mike Dickerman and published by Bondcliff Books. From geology to hiking history to place name origins, this book has it. After reading this book, you'll feel a much closer connection to the land and to the people that have passed before.

Forest and Crag, authored by Guy and Laura Waterman and recently reissued by the AMC. This is the definitive history of "Hiking, Trail Blazing, and Adventure in the Northeast Mountains." If you want to know how we got here, both in terms of why the trails are where they are, and who pioneered the routes, this is the source.

Not Without Peril, authored by Nicholas Howe and published by the AMC. Twenty+ case studies of fatal and near-fatal incidents in the Presidential Range of the White Mountains. (If you need a reminder of why hypothermia should be on your mind every time you go out, this will do the job.) Read it and get the benefits of experience before you have to discover the lessons for yourself.

Horizon Maps

Here's a related question. Last summer I was with a friend who had a series of horizon maps. In other words there was a map for say Lafayette. This map showed the horizon from lafayette and showed each peak in perspective as viewed from Lafayette N, S, E and W. So looking South you would see Lincoln, Liberty and Flume in a line, then OH off to the left and in the distance the Tripyramids, Hancocks etc.

He said it was an old set that was out of print. I found it was absolutely terrific in figuring out what you were looking at. The one from Washington even showed the Greens (Mansfield) and the ADKs (Marcy) way off in the distance.

Anyone know what this was and where you can find it?

Pb

PB,

Never seen the set of maps you are talking about, but have used Brett Scudder's White Mountain Viewing Guide for many years. Here is the writeup from my site:
One book that I pack with me when going to summits with good views is Brent Scudder's Scudder's White Mountain Viewing Guide. It gives detailed 360 degree panoramas for 43 peaks, together with some notes on how to get there, and a partial text description of the views.
It was out of print for a while, but (to the best of my imperfect memory) Bondcliff Books (Mike Dickerman) has reprinted it.

Mohamed

Yes, I think that must be it. My memory was not that good and I think my description was a little off.

I'll check it out. If that's the one I think it is, it's certainly a great resource which many are unaware of.

Thanks
Pb

From The Mountain Wanderer's hiking page:
Scudder's White Mountain Viewing Guide, by Brent E. Scudder, 2000 reprint. The indispensable guide for hikers who love their views. The book features panoramic sketches of the vistas from 43 summits across New Hampshire, including 25 in the White Mountains. Each sketch identifies dozens of peaks and other features visible from each summit, and even tells you how far away they are. Brief written descriptions accompany the panoramas. Originally published in 1995, but out of print for several years until now. 268 pp, 6" x 9".
Item #NHH16: $16.95
The Chocurua Mountain Club's map of the Mount Chocurua region has a panorama of sorts drawn around the sides. Thanks to Stopher I was able to get a copy, not sure whether Steve now has it in stock or not. I thought that you were referring to a set of similar maps.