Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter gear list critique

Talking Wow

That's manly sweating!
    Dennis

Right down at the bottom of my pack is my best Christmas present ever, a Marmot 8000M parka. This thing is unreal, combination jacket, half bag, bivy. It is a nice feeling knowing it's there.

I carry many of the same things as is listed here. I would add one additional thing (which I consider one of the most valuable pieces of emergency equipment I carry). I cary a thin ensolite pad. It can be cut for splitting purposes or for an insulation layer. It can also cut heat loss from sitting/lying on the ground.

I also carry 8X10 tarp for shelter or for rigging into a sled/litter if needed.

A couple of things I would add..

I see some potentially dangerous omissions namely a bivy sac, a piece of insulating foam pad a metal mug (to heat water in directly) and a light weight stove.

If you should get hurt and need to wait for rescue the snow is very cold to sit in! I use a 3/4 length ridge rest, the length of at least my head and torso, and carry a very light Bibler bivy sack. You might also want to use lithium batteries in the head lamps as they are less affected by cold than alkalines.

A stove and titanium mug can be a life saver to heat your body when you get hypothermic. A titanum mug can be put directly on the stove omitting the weight of a pot or cook kit. There is no substitute for warm liquid! We are talking about less than 3lbs of additional gear that truly could save your life.

I'd loose the GPS and beef up your plotting skills with the compass this will save unnecessary weight too. Four pairs of mittens? One pair wool, one fleece and one W/B over mit should be more than enough. Take your pick of either the down or prima loft jackets but you really don't need both. If it were me it would be the down jacket! Both a face mask and a balclava seem like over kill to me as well. Cut this weight and you'll save enough to add the stuff that will actually save your life if needed.

Just carrying a bivy sack and not insulating your body from the snow with a foam insulating pad makes the bivy minimally effective at best and sitting on your pack is not an effective way of insulating yourself from the snow..

One other item that comes in handy can be a whistle...

Man I need to get out more haven't been mountain climbing once yet this season other than a few coastal hikes. I must be getting old!
    Last edited by kaibar; 02-05-2007 at 01:45 PM.

You can also use your pack to sit on, I do it all the time in the winter.

Ditto to the bivy and insulated pad. You need to be prepared to spend an emergency night out. Blocking the cold from the ground will really help. Lying on the ground with all the warm clothes you have, you would probably make it, but add a pad and a bivy and you will be a lot more comfortable. At least carry a lightweight tarp. Even if you did not get it set up, you could wrap yourself up in it to help keep out of the the weather and warmer. I, too, always have extra line in my pack. There are just so many uses for it! eg....lower your pack down over a steep ledge, so it won't be hindering you as you climb down: a center line for a tarp, lashing something to your pack, repairs, etc...etc. You also carry matches and fire-starter. A very efficient and easy way to get a fire going and continuing with a minimum amount of fuel is to use a wood burning stove. I have not had much luck making my own with tin cans, but there are some on the market that pack small and work great. eg....Littlbug (note: there is intentionally is no "e" in "littl") This would be a good way to get gear dry in an emergency, (just do not do it under a snow-laden tree like the guy in the Jack London story!)
    LittlBug Jr.