Quick Tecumseh Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I've heard that when you are on the final approach to the summit via the ski area side, the trail kind of splits into two. Is one approach easier than the other? Also, I haven't looked closely at the map yet, but what exactly does the Sosman trail do? Does it loop or is it an out and back? I hope to hike Tecumseh this weekend during the upslope, after the storm (well it might not happen now, but I'm doing my snow dance as we speak).

grouseking

I did this last year in 2' of untracked snow and took the left loop which was a fairly short steep sidehill over rocks and roots. I couldn't easily find the other part of the loop from the top so I just followed my tracks down. The Sosman conects to the top of the ski area, with 2 nice views along the way. It is not a loop. BTW, I carried my skis and skied down the slopes.

pics

Last edited:
grouseking said:
I've heard that when you are on the final approach to the summit via the ski area side, the trail kind of splits into two. Is one approach easier than the other?
grouseking

Either way is about the same - we took the right hand trail when we did it in the Summer, and the left hand trail last Winter.

grouseking said:
Also, I haven't looked closely at the map yet, but what exactly does the Sosman trail do? grouseking

Ths Sosman trail leads to the top of the ski slopes.

Chip said:
Sosman is a cross country ski trail, so they ask that you not bare boot it if post-holing is a possibility.

Back country? It's not part of the Waterville Valley Nordic Center association of groomed trails, or at least it is not on their map or list of trails. I've skied every one of those (not recently though... some need lots of snow) Maybe it is like the Greeley Ponds trail?

You access it how, with your cross country skis? Lift? Hike?

(I'm curious because I have redlined the WV Nordic trail system, or so I thought :) )

Tim

in the winter i've found the left portion of the loop tends to be packed out more (may just be happen stance). sosman trail is nice with cool views back to tecumsehs summit and some down into the valley and out to the tripyramids. it would be an out and back unless you wanted to descend the ski slopes (this was fun last april after ski season, maybe not so much right now....).

bryan

I took the right side this fall after a couple of trips on the left side & I like the left better. Right loses a little elevation stays flat for a while & then gains it all at the end. The left loop has some steep stuff but IMO not as steep, plus in clear weather you get a couple of views from the left option. This fall I did not go back the way I went up.

Having done both, I doubt I'll ever do the other again.

Going right on the loop is woodsier with a short cliff rising above you on your left as you circle around the summit CCW. You join the Tecumseh Trail coming up from Tripoli Rd a few yards below the summit. Going left will give you some slightly restricted views but decent as far as Tecumseh views go. The Sosman Trail is a short trail which goes over to the ski area. Be aware in times of heavier snow, the Tecumseh Trail below the Sosman Trail is used by snowboarders so keep your head up and ears open as you ascend.

JohnL

bikehikeskifish said:
Back country? It's not part of the Waterville Valley Nordic Center association of groomed trails, or at least it is not on their map or list of trails...
You access it how, with your cross country skis? Lift? Hike?
It is a WVAIA trail they built for ski touring, you can take the lift up or walk

One section of this trail connects from the ski area to the MtT trail which it follows briefly, then it leaves again to go to the summit (the left branch referred to above). I agree with everybody that it's easier than the hiking trail.

bryan said:
in the winter i've found the left portion of the loop tends to be packed out more (may just be happen stance).

This was the exact situation we ran into last year when we did it. The left was packed pretty well. We descended around to make the loop and regretted it. Deep snow drifts and tough going. I don't think there was a recent pack at that time.

Brian