New sign - No dogs allowed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander_SG

Reaction score
My regular hiking partner was over at Lincoln Woods, Wilderness Trail yesterday and saw a sign at the entrance to the Service Road that showed a dog with a line through it.

The 11.2 mile loop hike is one of my favorite hikes with my dog. She especially loves the swimming part. I just can't believe she is no longer allowed!

Does anyone know anything about this new sign and the reasoning behind it?

Summit and I are :(

The no dog rule only applies in the winter. In the other three seasons Fido is welcome.

While chatting with a Ranger one day he mentioned that dogs were restricted in the winter from hiking on the East Branch side. They were allowed on the Wilderness side all four seasons however. He really didn’t give me a reason for the restriction, but if I were to hazard a guess it might have something to do with XC skiing.

MadRiver said:
They were allowed on the Wilderness side all four seasons however. He really didn’t give me a reason for the restriction, but if I were to hazard a guess it might have something to do with XC skiing.
Dogs are prohibited from most groomed XC trails in the WMNF, postholing and collision issues. Personally I'm surprised they aren't prohibited on the Wilderness Trail side, although this is officially a hiking trail on the inventory it has been given 2/3 to the skiers.

If you want to be legalistic, dogs are prohibited in Franconia Notch State Park although this is not enforced
http://www.franconianotchstatepark.com/

It's a skiing thing, and rightfully so (from a dog-lover mind you). Isn't the Lincoln Woods Trail section requiring leashes even in the summer, too? I believe there is a sign at the trailhead, but not if you are coming from Zealand (as I once did, and plead ignorance).

RoySwkr said:
Dogs are prohibited from most groomed XC trails in the WMNF, postholing and collision issues.

Is that a rule that the WMNF has set up or is it a town rule where the XC trails are? I'm curious because in Waterville Valley many dog owners are upset that they cannot bring their dogs on the trails except for one trail. Can dog owners apply to the National Forest for a permit to use some of those trails for dog walking?

dug said:
It's a skiing thing, and rightfully so (from a dog-lover mind you).
But it sure makes it difficult for folks to find a place to Skijor. It tough enough to find dog friendly locations, adding skis makes it even harder. I don't skijor (yet) but am always scouting possible locations. Found one more to cross off my "possibles" list.

Smitty

As an avid xc skier, I find it odd that any of the trails in the WMNF would be off limits to pooches. If you're looking for pristine groomed trails, go to a touring center. That's where I want nice skate lanes and solid classic tracks. If you're not worried about those things, go "backcountry" skiing. Which to me implies less than pristine with tracks of all sorts - skiers, hiker, snowshoers, dogs, lions, tigers and bears.

smitty77 said:
But it sure makes it difficult for folks to find a place to Skijor. It tough enough to find dog friendly locations, adding skis makes it even harder. I don't skijor (yet) but am always scouting possible locations. Found one more to cross off my "possibles" list.

Smitty

Waterville Valley has one trail reserved for such use -- the Campground -- Village Trail

Tim

smitty77 said:
but am always scouting possible locations

Check out Harvard Research Forest - not behind the Fisher Museum on 32, but instead over on 122. Take South Athol Road to 122 south for a few miles. You'll see a pond on the east - your left. On either side of the pond, there are gates with parking areas (and two more gates further south). The northernmost gate usually has ample plowed off-road winter parking. The entire area between 122 and Tom Swamp road is frequented by snowmobilers, so there are sorta groomed tracks, which might help for a beginner dog. I've never had trouble with the snowmobilers there.

Wendell State Forest might be a possibility too. They have both snowmobile and x-c ski tracks. I always see dogs there, though I don't know if they're officially allowed. I've not seen skjoring there.

For ungroomed and unsnowmobiled, Bears Den is my choice. From the Newton Reservoir entrance there's a wide forest road that goes two miles back to the Millers River. From the other entrance (the sign is across the road from the hospital), there's a two other other easily-skied roads from either entrance. If there's enough snow, some of the trails are skiable too.

Last edited:
speaking of skijorring!

Are dogs really allowed in the Harvard Forest?? At my old job we had research plots there, and they were pretty restrictive of lots of things there, as I recall?? (not trying to be a downer! I'd love to take my dogs there!)

smitty77 said:

Smitty

Smitty, this guy has an excellent reputation for starting off new teams the right way. I'd LOVE to spend a weekend training with him someday, and the cabins look great, too!

http://www.dogsledridesvermont.com/skijoring.htm

(Orca chewed clear through my tug line, and I need to get a new one...sigh..its pull! not chew!)

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Are dogs really allowed in the Harvard Forest?? At my old job we had research plots there, and they were pretty restrictive of lots of things there, as I recall?? (not trying to be a downer! I'd love to take my dogs there!)

If we're talking Harvard Forest in and around Petersham MA, I do not believe they are against the rules. I've not seen a single "no dogs" sign, or even a "dogs must be leashed" sign, nor have I been reprimanded the few times I've seen personnel out there. Mostly, I went off route 122 where there's much less visible research. Behind the Fisher Museum, there's obviously lots of stuff going on.

If anyone finds themselves in the area with a bit of spare time, the Fisher Museum (no entrance fee) has an interesting set of dioramas showing local history and forest evolution.

Except for snowmobilers in winter and hunters in deer season, I hardly ever see anyone out there.

IMO - I would endorse a no dog allowed all months of the year in the whites. Leave them at home. ADK's are good that way.

F-Face said:
IMO - I would endorse a no dog allowed all months of the year in the whites. Leave them at home. ADK's are good that way.
The ADKs do not forbid dogs. What are you referring to?

In the Daks, dogs must be leashed at all times in the HIgh Peaks Wilderness, and they are prohibited from entering the ADK Preserve, but the Daks are a huge place, these are only very minor areas with restrictions.

Dugan said:
Check out Harvard Research Forest - not behind the Fisher Museum on 32, but instead over on 122.
For ungroomed and unsnowmobiled, Bears Den is my choice.
Thanks for the beta. I have been to both places once, but have yet to visit either location with snow on the ground.

Una_Dogger said:
Smitty, this guy has an excellent reputation for starting off new teams the right way. I'd LOVE to spend a weekend training with him someday, and the cabins look great, too!

http://www.dogsledridesvermont.com/skijoring.htm

(Orca chewed clear through my tug line, and I need to get a new one...sigh..its pull! not chew!)
Thanks for the link. Someday.... when time and money allow. AFAIK, dogs are welcome at all Harvard Forest locations. I've been there a dozen times or more and never had anyone say anything nor have I seen signs regarding dogs.
As for the tugline, that's a bummer. I haven't yet had a problem with Mika chewing on the line which is a blessing considering she'll chew on anything. Oddly enough, she responds to "Hike" when it's time to shove off.

smitty77 said:

Smitty

About 4 years ago, I was xc skiing on the Wilderness trail and saw a guy on skis getting pulled by a dog on ropes. Skijor with one dog I guess. As soon as I saw it, I thought "man, that is dangerous, those dogs could go across the trail and the rope would take people out". Right after I thought of that, the dog cut across the trail and the rope took out three skiers in front of me (I was behind them, but not with that group). The lead guy looked like he seriously hurt his knee. If that had been me, I would have taken my ski off and beat the guy over the head with it. Just plain stupid to be doing something like that on a busy trail. IMO it borders on criminal negligence.

- darren

skijoring

As a general rule of thumb, dogs are prohibited in the WMNF only on groomed cross country ski trails, such as the Waterville Valley network and the Lincoln Woods Trail. But non-groomed ski trails, such as Greeley Ponds from the Kanc, and the Nanamocomuck, are open to all non-motorized use. I've had many great times skijoring on both trails with no conflicts. :)

PS: Altough the Nanamocomuck is occasionally dragged by the USGS to pack the snow, it is primarily a user-tracked trail.