Blizzard Survival Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
Has any one actually used a BLIZZARD SURVIVAL BAG or taken it out of its vacuum sealed bag??? www.botac.com/blsubag.html

I bought one about a year ago after reading posts on VFTT and researching the product on the web- I swapped it out for my old OR gortex bivy bag which always sits at the botton of my pack. After all the recent Lafayette rescue discussion I started to wonder what would actually happen when I opened it in an emergency-Would it remain all stuck together, would it actually provide the additional insulation it claims to produce- Of course I am itching to open it but since once opened it will not stuff down to its packaged size, I am resisting my curiosity and impulsiveness.

Anyone have any personal experience or second hand stories???

I saw that product a couple years ago adn wondered the same as you, what is a Tog? After doing some research on the internet and came up empty with only this...

8 togs is approximately equivalent to 1" of low quality down or 3/4" of high quality down (800 fill).

The thread I pulled this from eventually says this bag is the same as a 55°F down bag. Seems worthless in a real situation unless it's the dead of summer in the mountains when temps reach down to the 40s at night.

As for opening it... well I have an emergency poncho the size of a pack of cigs and am affraind of opening it too even when caught in the rain for fear I'd never re-pack it ever again, nor be able to find another like it ever again as a replacement. So why did I bother buying it if I'd never use it?