Proposal to have NY section of VFTT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago it wasn't the problem it is now. And honestly, I could see it coming a couple of years ago, but I see it as critical at that point.

Last edited:
I am going with several others to enjoy hiking in the Adirondacks this weekend. I expect that when I return on Monday, I will be able to post away in an open (non-subscription) NY dedicated forum.

Let's get on with it...
:) :( :) :( :)

Peakbagr said:
A couple of years ago it wasn't the problem it is now. And honestly, I could see it coming a couple of years ago, but I see it as critical at that point.

Somebody send me a "Dunce Cap" I still don't know what all the fuss is about...?

I should probably always keep one in my back pocket anyways...

Sorry someone criticized you for your expressing your opinion. If you want to PM me with their name, I'd be happy to speak with them. While we might not see the thread issue quite the same way, I appreciate your contributing to the thread. All opinions are welcome.

bubba said:
I am going with several others to enjoy hiking in the Adirondacks this weekend. I expect that when I return on Monday, I will be able to post away in an open (non-subscription) NY dedicated forum.

Let's get on with it...
:) :( :) :( :)

Save me a seat at the table and don't drink all the beer.

....... Like last time :cool:

Ny Ny!

I used to frequent this forum quick a bit in the past, but as of recent years it seems that most of the postings are related to the Whites. As much as I would love to spend more time in the Whites, it aint in the cards for me at this time. So I drifted off to the other "more" adk based forums. It seems that although they are more specific to the adks, the spectrum and base of info is quite small compared to the wealth of knowledge/experience on this forum. It would be greatly appreciated if I could quickly sift through the posts here to see what is immediately pertinent to my usual dose of NY hiking and then when I had more time take in some of the other treats here.

I miss the quality of postings that I associated w/ VFTT for the specificity that I gained elsewhere. But I believe that the two worlds can be combined if it were easier to discern the Adks posts on this site.

Go for it , Alan!

In support of moving forward,
Inge :)

Nothing new to add here. I understand that NE residents have a different perspective, but for me, it's simple, regardless of one's geographical location. The proposal is for a trial run. That means it's not necessarily permanent. As I understand it, it's a "restructuring," of existing NY posts. VFTT has a new photography section. Has this diminished the sense of "community?" If owners/moderators see fit, I say give it a whirl, and let people see first-hand what the pros and cons of the move would be. Everyone will still have the best of both worlds (NYS info when they want it, NE info when they want it, or both), with far fewer mouse clicks than have been expended on this thread. My guess is that many will wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place.

Either way, VFTT can't be beat for its knowledge base, and I will continue to be a member and visit often, even if I don't know where the "real" Whiteface or Owls Head is :D

Dick (ADKforum owner, NYS resident)

Peakbagr said:
Sorry someone criticized you for your expressing your opinion. If you want to PM me with their name, I'd be happy to speak with them. While we might not see the thread issue quite the same way, I appreciate your contributing to the thread. All opinions are welcome.

Boy am I confused now. Nobody sent me anything negative actually nobody ever has...I just don't understand what the issue is.
To me the subject came up a couple of years ago & someone started up an ADK forum which seems popular and every body was livng happly ever after as far as I could tell.

There is already a Trip Report forum open to all the members....

my pal, Dick, perfectly expressed why I think this should be tried.

My friend, Inge, gives voice to what I hear from all the formerly very active NY VFTT members. She has so many accomplishments and so much to offer, I've grieved that she'd given up posting here. There are many like her.

And for our New England friends - I know where all the Owls Heads and Whitefaces are in both NY and New England.

Spider,

Sorry. In my haste I thought you said someone SENT you a dunce cap.
Go too fast = mistake.
Still meant what I said about your opinions.

PB

I don't post here much but you may see me doing so, if there was a NY Section.

Go for it Alan, you got my vote, for what it is worth.

Views From the Top - a Northeast Hiking and climbing community

Ok, on the main home page it states:
Views From the Top - a Northeast Hiking and climbing community.

I don't see anywhere where it says that everyone will have their own sandbox. I looked up the definition of "community" and found the 3rd one on the mark:
3. a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually prec. by the): the business community; the community of scholars.
Seems pretty much cut and dry to me. We're a community of NORTHEAST hikers. Sorry if you have to weed through a few posts to find exactly what you are looking for (ever hear of "search" function?) I don't see anywhere where it says:
Views From the Top - a GROUP of Northeast Hiking and climbing communities.

FWIW, I might never have ventured into the ADK's had I not read here about some of the great spots. I likely would have gone there eventually, but I kept reading of these wonderful spots and it finally got me to hop in the car and go. I didn't go out looking to find this information: it was in the midst of other posts that I was reading through.

BTW, what makes anyone think that splitting off to have a separate NY forum will ADD anything to this BBS? Why is it assumed that having a separate forum will get all these non-posting members to come out of the woodwork and start posting here?

I'm against a separate Forum. I believe that we are fine as we are, and when I can hike I hike in the Northeast, which last time I checked included NY.

Maybe we can start a Kanadian forum to bring HarryK back :D :D :D :D :D

So, where do we post announcements for a NY Gathering? :confused:

Last edited:
Sorry we disagree. Adding a separate forum will bring back the many who no longer visit or post. Sadly, I've greatly curtailed my participation on the Q&A portion of the board over the last few years. I'm sure some would applaud that . ;) Most of my participation other than moderating duties is in General Backcountry. Like others have stated here, there is a strong feeling that there's little interest in whats going on in NY in Q&A with the large % of New England threads.

How are your interests harmed if the NY posts are in one place? Most of the folks who don't pay attention to NY doings are oblivious to the decrease in interest by the NY hikers.

Honestly, thats how this 'community' is being harmed.

I'd rather keep the Q&A & General Backcountry together but I'd be okay with a Seperate Trip Report. Sometimes I just think of these as a better, more descriptive trail condition report & those are seperate.

Sometimes I miss the climbing boards we used to have her too, who remembers those.

Take the solution in your own hands

TO ALL NEW YORKERS ...

Regardless of how this debate ends up, you can still get what you want ... without any intervention from Darren.

All you need to do is add **NY** to your posts that you feel are of interest to other New Yorkers. Use the EXACT text (**NY**). Then all you have to do is search for **NY** and you'll see all of the posts that you want to see! (No fragmentation. All the posts will still be together.) Also, if you use the Advanced Search, you can narrow the search to specific forums.

The solution is simple and it's under your control.

**NY** Spread the word. Get what you want. Be happy. :)

-BriFly

P.S. If VFTT members actually choose to employ this simple technique, then the other categorization requests would be simple to address as well.

Go for it, so much to gain, what could you lose? We are diminished by the loss of our New York friends. Having been here for 10 years or so, I recall the early days when there was hardly a single New Yorker here. :(

We don't want to go back to those dark ages! ;)

But what makes this place special is the lack of clutter, that family feeling of togetherness. You get it all in one click, so why complicate it any more? I know I'd still have to visit the other states just to see what everyone is doing.

Leave it alone... Just tag your post with the state as someone else mentioned.

I sense that part of the problem is in how people use the forum, that is, the screen they choose to bring up. Scrolling through every new post can be unnecessarily time consuming. My screen leads me into whatever forum I choose, where each thread is identified and those with new postings are indicated. When I enter a thread of interest I go directly to the first unread (since my last visit) post from which I can scroll through and read what I choose.

It's all very manageable for me and I pride myself on my techno-ignorance. Though I can see some benefit in more organization for the trip reports and specifc Q&As regarding trails, and trails only, I think it is possible that a lot of this fuss might be resolved if people tinker with their settings.

I agree with SherpaK on that "community" issue ... any move to a NY and Other forum hijacks that community in my opinion.

I have read the responses with great interest and am a little surprised how many strong opinions there are one way or the other.

I guess I don't really have a strong opinion either way. It isn't going to change much for me to add a NY focused section except I will say that I miss my NY friends on this board because I don't spend much time browsing various different boards (not enough time or energy) so for selfish reasons I would like to see what we can do to bring them back into the VFTT fold.

However, having said that . . . I don't know if there is much we can do to get that contingent back here to VFTT now that they have other established sites that focus on NY.

In any case, if a NY section is not added . . . I know where to find them and NY information . . . it just takes a bit more effort on my part.

I guess it couldn't do any harm to give the addition a try if Darren is open to that and if it doesn't "catch on" . . . we can always go back to the current way?

Dunno ????

BTW . . . hey Mavs . . . I have missed your posts . . . :)

sli74

Status
Not open for further replies.