Bear Mountain, CT, 02/07/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
Bear Mountain, CT

Date Hiked: 02/07/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Appalachian Trail

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Clear, snow, sections of ice

Special Required Equipment: Cramp-ons would have helped in sections

The day of extreme winter hiking, Connecticut style, didn't quite start off as planned - a few miles down the road, I realized I didn't have a jacket or fleece with me. No worries, especially after having an unsuccessful attempt at pumping gas in Dalton (frozen pumps). Nonetheless, I carried on.

It was around 6 or so degrees at the trailhead - tropical weather, for sure. After looking at the AMC Hut briefly, I started down the trail, the footprints showing that I was been the first person on it in the last few days. Until the Appalachian Trail is reached, it is a very gradual walk.

The Appalachian Trail does almost a straight shot up the ledgy north face of Bear Mountain - lots of slipping and sliding since I wasn't using crampons or Stablicers. Fortunately, due to the exposure, there was very little wind until reaching the summit.

The big pile of rocks at the summit provides strong views to the north, while some ledges south of it provide views to the west and south. There appeared to be a few snow squals southeast and north of the mountain while I was at the summit.

No Jacket, maybe that should be "Bare" mtn :D

Nice TR and a fine peak it is...

Jay

A short sleeve tee shirt, jeans, two sweatshirts, a winter hat/gloves, and a vest. Surprisingly, other than my chin, I wasn't cold. Ever since my days of doing snowmaking years ago, the outdoor cold doesn't usually bother me.

Certainly a nice hike, I may try it again in the spring and do the full loop.

rocket21 said:
Ever since my days of doing snowmaking years ago, the outdoor cold doesn't usually bother me.
I think it's time to bring your snowmaking machine out ;)

BTW, nice site - especially the pics of Spud Webb :D

Last edited:
Thanks, glad you like it. And no, I do not have an endorsement deal with Spud, so don't tell him that I am using a photo of him for my own personal gain :)

Huh?

BTW, nice site - especially the pics of Spud Webb :D[/QUOTE]

Huh? What site? Am I missing something or just out of it?...Stu :confused:

Nice TR and excellent web site, that I also somehow missed.
BTW...the steep north side of Bear Mtn. is usually a much easier climb in the winter with deep snow on it...but not this year I guess.

Dave

Glad you like it...I could spend a few days down in that area, lots of really neat hiking in the three state border region. I know each time I hike down there, I add more to my to do list.