MSR Snowshoe Failure Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmanwinter

Reaction score
Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
While snowshoeing into Isolation on Saturday I had a very inconvenient equipment failure near the junction of the Rocky Branch and Isolation Trails. On my Denali Evo's, the little pin (with ring and washer) that holds the binding and crampon to the Snowshoe base disappeared (this is also the pivot point). I tried a few field repairs with tie wraps, shoelaces and even the key ring thing from my thermometer. Nothing I tried was stong enough to last more than a few steps. So, disappointed, my partners and I turned around and slogged back to the trail head (really wasn't that bad but was much better with snowshoes). My questions are; have others had this failure? Is this common? Should I be carrying extra pins, rings and washers?

Oldmanwinter said:
While snowshoeing into Isolation on Saturday I had a very inconvenient equipment failure near the junction of the Rocky Branch and Isolation Trails. On my Denali Evo's, the little pin (with ring and washer) that holds the binding and crampon to the Snowshoe base disappeared (this is also the pivot point). I tried a few field repairs with tie wraps, shoelaces and even the key ring thing from my thermometer. Nothing I tried was stong enough to last more than a few steps. So, disappointed, my partners and I turned around and slogged back to the trail head (really wasn't that bad but was much better with snowshoes). My questions are; have others had this failure? Is this common? Should I be carrying extra pins, rings and washers?
The simple answer to your question is - yes - everyone should carry what a friend of mine calls a 'McGiver kit' so that you can make emergency repairs to critical gear. This particular friend had the main shoulder strap on his pack give way on winter on our way to the Bonds. Fortunately, it gave out on the summit of Bondcliff on a beautiful winter day, and we had lunch while he made emergency repairs and we later successfully climbed all 3 (or 5, depending upon your point of view). In his case the sweat over time had rotted the nylon on his McGregor.

So, give your gear a critical eye, and figure out what it would take to repair essential pieces. The kit doesn't have to be large, but someday it will help either you or a friend.

Thanks for your posting...

I'm sorry to hear that your repair didn't succeed and that you had to turn back. But I'm glad you posted your message; it's of value to many of us. Equipment failures happen, often at the worst possibe moment. So it's worthwhile to think ahead.

I've been carrying cable ties, parachute chord, duct tape and a couple other things. You point out a valuable lesson. I don't think any of my repair kit would keep my snow shoes, or worse, my crampons together for more than 1/4 -1/2 mile in good conditions.

Maybe cotter pins, braided wire, a multi-tool, and even the spare parts you mentioned are worth while carrying. I'm thinking of packing an 2 extra tie bars for my crampons.

Anyone else willing to post contents of their "McGiver kit', as Kevin calls it?

Thanks again. Thanks also to Kevin for his reply.

---LTH

If you email MSR they will send you a few pins. When I first got my denali snowshoes I emailed them and ask for extras just incase. They said no problem. MSR has great customer service.

McGiver Kit

Thanks to all for the replies.

onestep said:
Duct tape, zip ties, and a wire coat hanger for catastrophic failures.

Onestep
I had everything but the coat hanger. I'm sure that would have done the trick. I contacted MSR today and have four new clevis pin/split ring assemblies on the way. FWIW, I really like my MSRs (especially the heal lifts, which I've never had a problem with) and have no intention of replacing them.
OMW

Another thought

I carry a few 8-10" lengths of 12 gauge copper electical wire. It's better than a twist tie and much more flexible than a coat hanger, but not as strong.

Same thing happened to my MSR Denali's on top of Hale two winters ago, meaning that I could not continue across via LHT and the Twinway to Zealand on a beatiful warm sunny day, so I was really bummed. Problem with the MSR clevis pin is that there is really nothing in a McGiver kit that will substitute, as the pin is really small; I tried all kinds of wire from my McGiver kit, but there was no way to avoid the wire getting severed by the teeth of the runners right next to the hinge. I also could not find anything to substitute in a few hardware stores, and none of the shops that sell MSRs had any spare pins either. But, as noted above, MSR is quick to respond via phone or email, and sent me three pins and rings gratis, which I now carry in my McGiver kit. These clevis pins are definitely the Achilles heel of the MSR shoes, in my opinion. Otherwise, I have been able to repair breaks in the plastic platforms of the shoes with duct tape.

Happened to me too

I too got a new pin through MSR's customer service and I also carry a screw and lock washer for another possible repair. When it happened to me I saw the weakness in the pin and anticipated the problem so I had the screw on hand. I remember it failed on the steep ascent up North Hancock.

Search online for their 800 number, give them a call, they'll take care of you. I've been in touch twice for parts and they send them gratis, best example was losing a binding strap in deep shoeing conditions, they sent me a replacement and a couple spares for use later if necessary. Their customer service in my eyes has been great and I beat the crap out of their product.
Damon