Tubbs crampon retrofit to Sherpa

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Howdy!

It seems that the icy hard pack and limited snow has taken it's toll on snowshoes yet again this winter!

My question is whether anyone has had success mounting the Tubbs crampon to a different binding or frame. I greatly enjoy my Sherpa frame/deck and the lacing system, but since the last failure have considered if there is a way to use a different crampon. The Tubbs snowshoe's crampon looks light-weight and aggressive so I was hoping to hear that other's may have retrofitted it to a different model snowshoe??!!

I would love to hear any similar type fixes and will post my results after I find a source for the Tubbs crampon sold separate from the snowshoe.

Inge :)

Why not?

It's not hard to adapt the crampons as long as the pivot is the same. If you have the dog bone metal bar, then Tubbs will fit with very little modifying, perhaps just drilling a couple holes for the screws.

I have Sheraps that now have the Tubbs Viper crampons as well as my Tubbs Sierras which I just converted this year. It was very easy to do and only needed the new screw holes to make em fit. I specail ordered the Vipers from EMS, sent em an e-mail, refered to to Luciel special orders dept. They cost $30 for the pair and includes all hardware. Now all I need is some snow to use them in.

If you're having trouble mounting em, bring em down to the city, I'll do it for you one afternoon.

Last edited:
Thanks paul ron!

I greatly appreciate the info and will contact EMS as soon as possible.
Looks like that snow we've been waiting for is on it's way!!
Enjoy!

Thanks again -
Inge

If my Sherpas weren't beat up already, I'd consider doing this... I might still consider doing this, but the rivets on my bindings on my Sherpas are falling out. I don't know why they put a rivet there, its in the prime spot to get bashed by rocks and the other snowshoe.

But I might still consider it considering how good they are in serious conditions.

Jay

Yeah the rivits are dumb although I did have to replace them a long time ago with stainless steel rivits untill I recently did this crampon change. I installed the SS screws and lock nuts that come with the kit so there is no need for rivits anymore. BTW To get the rivits out, you'll have to drill them using a 1/4" drill bit right in the top center of em and it will come right out.

Did you ever get the Sherpa rebuild kit to replace the lacing? I have it but never tried to install it. I may do that this year since they are getting dry rotted, these are 20 years old now.

Yeah, Sherpa sent me enough lacing to do both my snowshoes, twice i think. They give you the lacing and a bunch of crimps that you can use a big set of pliers to use to crimp the lacing tight. Thanks for the drill suggestion. I replaced one of the rivets which got sheared off with a small screw that fit the hole the rivet was through!

Jay

p.s. shouldn't this be in general backcountry? :confused:

Last edited: