Mid Winter Black Bear active in NJ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about what you mean by "food storage", Chip. Bears don't store food. They pack on the pounds to the extent possible before winter settles in, then during winter they wake and seek food from time to time. They're deep sleepers, and have some amazing adaptations for sleeping for long periods, but their body temperatures only drop a few degrees making it possible for them to wake in response to warm weather, danger, etc. True hibernation is not a phenomenon seen in most animals.

:) no, OUR food; stowing backpacking food properly.

I guess this one may have just woken up and gone for a stroll. My only point was regarding slacking off in the winter with our own food. I know I don't carry my bear canister, and hardly bother hanging food in the winter, perhaps I should.

Last edited:
Saw that on the local NJ newschannel... It's not like Maplewood is rural, it's in Essex County:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...0.793279,-74.301567&spn=0.09825,0.294228&om=1

Assuming it came from points north, it has crossed I-80, I-280, both of which are divided highways with overpass/underpasses but still....

South Mountain Reservation which is a small hiking park is nearby as you can see on the Google Maps.

[edit] A local article mentions the authorities think it did wander out of South Mountain Reservation...

Jay

Last edited:
Chip,
Pardon me; I'm a little slow!!! :D Sometimes the geeky naturalist in me just can't be controlled. :p

Chip said:
I guess this one may have just woken up and gone for a stroll. My only point was regarding slacking off in the winter with our own food. I know I don't carry my bear canister, and hardly bother hanging food in the winter, perhaps I should.
According to Herraro, it is not uncommon for bears to wake up and take a short stroll in winter. Supposedly, they are not out hunting for food, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't "test" any that they found.

Doug

Wow - Amazing footage. especially watching it fall 50-70 feet from the tree after the tranquilized it. (Good thing they had a net to catch him).

I tried to give you a big greenie Chip, but I have to spread some more "rep" around before the system will allow me. :D

DougPaul said:
According to Herraro, it is not uncommon for bears to wake up and take a short stroll in winter. Supposedly, they are not out hunting for food, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't "test" any that they found.

Doug

...and bears in NJ typically don't hibernate that much. It is generally a warm climate-bear wise and they still are very much able to forrage because the usual lack of snow cover, the development of the land into residential areas, and just the relative mild winters we have down here versus say Canada and the northern NY area.

And where that bear was. that's even further south and further closer to NYC than where most of the bear activity is in the Kittatinnys and the DWG.

Jay