What's your favorite on-line weather site?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Specifically, I'm wondering what you consider the most reliable site for forecasting weather in the White Mountains.

Happy Trails :)

Like Frodo, I believe that the NWS (aka NOAA) has the best forecasts. Most others use their data, and spin it to pretend they are adding value.

When planning an above treeline hike I also look at the Mt. Washington Observatory for their forecasts.

I also look at other sites for a more descriptive explanation of what is going on; both the Obs and WMUR.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Like Frodo, I believe that the NWS (aka NOAA) has the best forecasts. Most others use their data, and spin it to pretend they are adding value.

When planning an above treeline hike I also look at the Mt. Washington Observatory for their forecasts.

DITTO -
I find weather.com to be very innaccurate, and the Boston news (?) stations seem to have a not so hidden agenda - even with their weather reports...

Here's a previous thread on this subject

link

I really like this site. It's not specific to the mountains but it has lots of useful information. Unfortunately, the Mt Washington location data dosen't look very accurate.

Northeast Graphic Forecast

I'm gonna stray off the subject a tiny bit....this site is not specifically for the White Mtns, but pertains to many people because lots live in this area. It is the Todd Gross webpage.

He might not forecast for the Whites, but he does an incredible job, and is in my opinion, one of the best southern New England forecasters around. The site is informative and he gets to forecast his way, and not be pressured by the news stations to overly hype up storms.

Back on topic, my favorite sites for the north/mtns are the NOAA website, Mount Washington and sometimes I go to the Fairbanks Museum site for a different forecast.

Of the news stations, for snow storms, I'd say that NECN takes the cake as Matt Noyes and Tim Kelley (esp Tim Kelley) know what they are talking about.

Others
Pittsburg NH amateur website

Coles Pond, VT Weathercam This one is good because its elevation is 2230 ft and it shows you what lots of places in the mtns are prob like.

There are more, but thats all I can think of right now.

grouseking

cantdog said:
I used to use Weather Underground until they started having too many pop ups that penetrate the Panicware. :mad: :mad:

Hey cantdog, I've used Weather Underground for a few years now and am a subscriber (no ads). It's only $5 a year, but if you (or anyone else on this forum) wants a free year, just send me an email and I'll send you a gift subscription.

Kevin

grouseking said:
I'm gonna stray off the subject a tiny bit....this site is not specifically for the White Mtns, but pertains to many people because lots live in this area. It is the Todd Gross webpage. He might not forecast for the Whites, but he does an incredible job, and is in my opinion, one of the best southern New England forecasters around. The site is informative and he gets to forecast his way, and not be pressured by the news stations to overly hype up storms.
grouseking

Of course, the probable reason that Todd Gross, Bruce Schwoegler, and other Boston TV weather forecasters with actual meteorology degrees lost their jobs over the past few years is because they refused to buckle to station managers who insisted that they hype up their forecasts. The past 24 hours of weather coverage on all the Boston TV networks has been absolutely disgusting.