100 highest ADK vs New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

Reaction score
A fellow climber was insisting the New England Hundred Highest was more of a challenge than the Adirondack Hundred Highest, citing higher vertical gain, tough hiking in Maine's logged areas, etc. I disagreed, pointing out that the AMC's Gene Daniell provides extensive notes and maps to guide climbers on the several challenging bushwhacks...while Adirondack hundred highest bushwhackers are pretty much on their own. And there may be as many as twenty Adirondack bushwhacks, vs. a half dozen in New England. Am I correct? Or is there written information on the bushwhacks in the Adirondack hundred highest?

Part of the NE 100 is logistics. Long drives, etc. As mentioned, there is also a longer history of climbing the NE100 with a bunch of route descriptions.

Many of the ADK100 are bushwacks with lots of blowdown, nasty stuff and no herdpaths or established routes.
The ADK100 have only had a relative handful of ascents, route info is sketchy, often conflicting, with much word of mouth. There is no record of who has done what and lots of the chatter occurs in private email or on Pete's 46er listserv.

Beyond that, while there are some very helpful climbers who share route info, there is also a group of folks have stubbornly resisted the ADK100 being further organized as a means to keeping these small peaks "undiscovered".
Complicating the matter is that a good number of these mountains are on private land or land leased from timber companies by sportsman's clubs who discourage climbers from getting at the mountains. Obtaining permission or finding legal ways in is a challenge of research all in etself.

I posted a thread the other day on the Northeast 111 versus the New England Highest Hundred but then decided to pull it, thinking it might get too devisive. But I have no problem comparing those two list as well as the NEHH versus the ADK Highest Hundred. For starters, I am a Northeast 111er and am working once again on the NEHH after a two year layoff (87/100). I think these two lists are comparable ... the 111/115 are more of a physical challenge and the NEHH are more of a challenge in routefinding. That said, at this time, I have no interest in the ADK 100 ... nasty, just nasty is the only thing that comes to mind. Many are long hikes in followed by tough bushwhacks. Unfortunately, the ADK 100 will never enjoy the prestige of the NEHH largely because it is TOO DIFFICULT of a list and will never attract a lot of folks. A lot of folks seem to be talking about it right now though ... it is definitely the new kid on the block. In a way, it reminds me of the White Mtn. Trailwrights list, which seemed to be gaining in popularity just a few years ago and now hardly gets a mention on these boards.

Heading for the Maine coast in a few hours for the yearly family vacation so won't be around to see other responses. Might climb Bigelow the Horns while I'm up there. :)

Mark,

I had no interest in posing a reply that would be devisive. I agree with your assessment that the NEHH will always be more popular.
As to the ADK100 being so difficult and nasty, thats one of the attractions for me.

PB

the ADK100 is callin'

Difficult Peakbagr????

Are you kidding, I'm still trying to locate half of them on the map. This is my next list, I know it already. NH and the NE is too far for me.

I'll admit, It's pretty daunting looking from the outside in. But the bottom line, Harder/easier, does it really matter. It's about the journey and impact that these peaks have on you. The geographic location matters not one whit.

Be it Marcy, Washington, or some peak thats only identified by a friggin UTM number, they are all special places in their own way.

I think Post'r Boy needs to get whackin' in the 'Dacks...so we can get the real skinny....

The only thing I have to say is. Well... I hurt after I get done with some of the ADK 100 hghest. Being scratched up, poked, cut, slapped, scrapped, bruised, bitten, stung, sprained, strained, twisted... Do you get that on the NEHH. Over here you get to experience oit all. Sometimes, on just one mountain.

After a number of trips with peak_bgr and Bushwacker, its hard for me to affirm whether what Spence says is true. He's usually enough ahead of me up the hill that I can't bear witness !

We can say that Tim or anyone else interested in doing these little "gems" is welcome to join us.

PB

Having done both of them, it is my opinion that the ADK100 are substantially more difficult than the NE100. No question about it. When thinking about it, the question came to mind whether the ADK100 were harder than the NH100. Again, I think so, but this is a more close comparison as you start to get into the more trail-less peaks considering the NH100. The dacks however are by far more remote. Things get interesting if you throw in a 200 ft col requirement to standardize the list qualification protocol. Then for instance the 5 Sawtooths become 11! That'll raise the bar a notch or two.

Interesting observations from John, one of the most experienced and respected hikers and peakbaggers around here.

John, a few of us were wondering, do you have a rough estimate of how many ADK100 finishers there might be?
And do you know when the ADK100 started getting people climbing them? Was it when they appeared in the ADK guidebook?

Thanks

PB

... At least 10 years ago, I remember reading a sad article in an ATC trail maintainer's newsletter written by Lee Barry about how his hiking partner Jim Boomer had drowned while fording a creek down south with a full pack. In the author notes it mentioned that Jim and Lee had climbed all 179 Adk 3000 footers. I wrote-up a letter to Lee and actually was able to get it to him by sending it to Grace and having it forwarded to Lee's address on record. Shortly after I got a letter from Lee's wife explaining that Lee could not respond because he was thru hiking the AT. Lee was then in his 70s. Later that year I had a long conversation with Lee and he said that he and Jim had completed the Adk100 in the 1970s and went on to found the Rochchester Winter Mountaineering Society. He and Jim then turned their attention to the 3000 footers (using the same 300 foot col requirement) and completed them. I believe they were probably among the first completers of the ADK100, though I did not ask him. Lee later moved down to the south and his climbing accomlishments there bettered his Adk record.

When Dennis, Sue, Sonny and I were doing them, in the 1990s, there was very little (almost no) evidence of previous climbers. There was one trailless peak with an old (circa 1970s) , steel, canister with an engraved lid that was place by Bill Koozel and Bob? Conrandt. (from memory). I hope it is still there. We did not see other evidence of their travels on other peaks. I heard later that one of these guys had died while solo hiking in CO and his remains were found 6 months later. A scary story to someone that has solo bushwhacked.

There were several others at it during my time including DB Cooper, Bill Cranker, Cat Eich. I had heard that a few old time adkers were at it as well, anonomously. Also, it would surprize me to learn that they were not climbed by a Goodwin or someone else of equal presence in the Adk hiking world. So by 2000, there must be at least 10-20 but probably many more completers.

The adk100 have gained popularity lately, especially in winter. By now, I guess the number is in the 50s.

JHS

Peakbagr said:

We can say that Tim or anyone else interested in doing these little "gems" is welcome to join us.

PB

I'll certainly be taking you up on that. I'm hoping to be done with the first 46 by labor day. That'll put at just over 50. This will be a tough list for me, living 275 miles away and all.

You don't mind if I walk behind you guys though, that way whenever I hear your swear or scream, I can dodge left or right as the case may be :).

Have you guys done the Sawtooth Range? * If so, how bad? Also does anyone have a computer generated list of the ADK100 (I'd rather not type the who thing out from the ADK guide). I'd like to put it on my site (just as a ref.). PM me if you do.

* - Corrected, back to the way I had it. Raymond is quite correct. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Tim I have the list on my computer at home, complete with elevations and coordinates. I could email it to you if you'd like.

Please note that the coordinates were verified by map software only.

A very interesting thread.

Spence, Brian and I haven't done the Sawteeth yet, but they're looming out there.
We're hoping to do another ADK100 this Saturday, maybe Little Moose if anyone is intereted.
I do know this. The mapwork, research, and asking others who have done the peaks to glean tips on the best routes, is all part of the fun.
While I'm not old enough to know this, my guess is that the ADK100 is probably a lot like doing the early 46ers back in the founding days of the club. Little or no routes, few herdpaths, and lots of discussion on how to get the peaks done.

Peakbagr

I also find this thread interesting.
First, these are all lists I am interested in and I have been chipping away at the ADK100 recently by trying a few bushwacks. And second because it is interesting to hear some of the local peakbagging history. It's another example of the wealth of information members of this site possess.

John Swanson's ADK history, particularly regarding Jim Boomer, is fascinating. Boomer was a stern, yet compassionate Rochester judge, Supreme Court, I believe. I knew he was a 46r and had climbed internationally, but didn't know he had bagged everything the Adirondacks had to offer. Given his climbing credentials, I always thought it ironic that he died while crossing an inconsequential creek in the Ozarks. It can happen to any of us, any place, any time! Yikes!

When I asked for tips before doing Sawtooth 4, MarK Lowell's response was
"for practice, try straining yourself through
a snow fence". This turned out to be very practical advice.

peak_bgr said:
The only thing I have to say is. Well... I hurt after I get done with some of the ADK 100 hghest. Being scratched up, poked, cut, slapped, scrapped, bruised, bitten, stung, sprained, strained, twisted... Do you get that on the NEHH. Over here you get to experience oit all. Sometimes, on just one mountain.

Spence,
With my recent experiences, heck, I get that on the trail!:(

I like to bushwhack, but doubt I'll ever want to take it up as a full time side occupation. I do admire folks who get out there and beat their heads against a wall of trees for miles. Those are the true peakbaggers - heading off with the sole goal of seeing what is there, and basking in the satisfaction of knowing firsthand.