car camping in the high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dottie

Reaction score
glad this NY section has been added, i have some ADK questions. . .this august my husband & i plan to hike & canoe in the ADK's--all new to us. i'd like to hike mt. marcy and some other 4k's (finished NH 48's), plus we'll have our canoe. we're looking for a place to set up the popup camper and make a home-base.

any suggestions of campgrounds in this area so we can avoid too much driving? i've ordered ADK hiking guide, another hiking book by barbara mcmartin, and two other canoe guide books, one by paul jamison, the other is the "quiet waters of NY" by the AMC.

thanks,
dottie

Are you going for me paddling or more hiking? I think Fish Creek and Rollins Ponds NY State Camp Grounds accomodate pop ups and you will access to alot of great paddling in that area. Ampersand Mountain, not a 4000 footer, is also in that general area has has some great views from the summit. If you are looking for something closer to the high peaks, I have stayed at the North Pole Campground (private owned) in Wilmington several times and have found the facilities (IE bathrooms and showers) to be clean and acceptable. This campground would put you close to the high peaks and lots of great hiking.

There's a great little DEC campsite just off exit 30 of the N'way. Sharp Bridge...Head SOUTH on route 9. Large trees, pine duff underneath, and very quiet.
Really nice hiking nearby with the Jay Range, Giant Wilderness, Dixes close by.

There are a ton along Rte 73 from I87 all the way to Saint Huberts. As you are heading in they are all on the left. Look for small little dirt roads, they all lead in just a little ways to small camping spots.

In August I will be having the 5th annual ADK BBQ at my house. Not sure what weekend yet, but it's usually around the 20th. Everyone here is welcome as usual. Most people crash their tents in my backyard, it's a great weekend. Keep an eye out for further details.

Close to the high peaks area (ADK Loj side) is Whispering Pines. They've been great through the years and have even hosted VFTT Gathering 5.0. Base here for climbing more than paddling.

On the Southern side, a state campground named Harris Lake is just outside of Newcomb. Close access to the Santanoni's, and into Upper Works and Allen Mtn trailheads.

Much ADK paddling is a bit further west in the Saranac Lake region.

If you want to do a lot of canoeing, Fish Creek Pond and Rollins are both great choices. You have access to miles of waterways with minimal portages. Almost all of Fish Creek's sites and about half of Rollins sites are on the water. Both campsites can easily accomodate pop-ups. Rollins is a bit more of a wilderness setting but Fish Creek is closer to RT 30 if you are going elsewhere. From Fish Creek, you can get to many of the high peak trailheads in an hour. Fish Creek is also great for bikes (5 mile flat loop around the ponds with a bike path on RT 30). State Campsites closer to the high peaks are Sharp Bridge as someone mentioned, Meadowbrook, and Wilmington Notch. However none of these are on water suitable for your canoe.

There is also Paradox Lake just north of Shroon Lake... I've camped there once though it was dark enough that I never really saw the lake. I believe their is a boat launch in there if you just want to go for a short warmup spin in your canoe..

Jay

Sharp Bridge Campsite in North Hudson.

15 minutes to Saint Huberts
20 minutes to the Garden
40 minutes to the Loj
20 minutes to Elk Lake
40 minutes to Upper Works
10 minutes to Round Pond Trailhead/Dix
15 minutes to New Russia approach to RPR and Giant

Very central location for a ton of choices