Redfield - it only took 4 minutes!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, I'll keep this short. Started at 6:20 from Loj, arrived Up-hill Lean-to at 9:50. Trails all broken out! Amazing! (Some water on the lakes). We were thinking we might have a shot at Redfield. Laurie, myself, Kerry and 2 new friends start breaking trail a little after 10:00.

The going was really tough! There was a spruce trap that Laurie said I fell into over my head! We floundered around for over an hour, and decided that at the rate we were going, it was hopeless. So we turned around and walked back to the lean-to in - yes you guessed it! 4 minutes! Sort of reminds me of Cliff! No wonder they are right next to each other! DO NOT FOLLOW OUR TRAIL! :eek: :D

Met 'Snickers' near the lean-to. Hi! Hope you made it to Skylight!

So, on the way out we decided to visit the Colden Interior Outpost. Nice place! And it figures, Matt was there! We chatted for a few minutes, and then checked out the trail going up to Iroquois. It looked like someone had tried to bare boot it! Astonishing! Good luck buddy! :eek:

Urrrgghhh spruce traps.... That is what I could tell was going to happen to me on my pitiful attempt on Nye after bagging Street yesterday. Fell through chest deep and my buddy was already exhausted so I did a four minute walk back to the junction.

The rate at which the trails were packed was AMAZING however. The talk at the Mountaineer Saturday just after opening was expect a slow going nightmare that day... not the case if you got a late start for many trails :D

una_dogger said:
Thanks for the extremely informative trail beta !
If you go to Andrew Lavigne's web site, you will find even more information, that I wish I had brought with me for this hike! :( :eek: :eek: :D

Anyway, if you head generally towards the stream by around 3400', you should hit the stream and the herd path at about the same time.

Yup, having about a dozen folks ahead of us on Cascade made things a lot easier. :D

Still, though, we earned Porter, as we were at most the 4th & 5th people to head over there, and what Una_dogger flew over, I sank well into... :eek: