ADK campgrounds?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dottie

Reaction score
glad to have this NY/ADK forum. . .i have some questions:

this august, my husband and i will travel to the ADKs, all new to us. i'd like to hike mt. marcy & some other 4ks (i recently finished all NH4ks). we'll also bring our canoe and would like to explore some remote canoe waters.

question at this time: recommendations for campgrounds in the high peaks area? we'll bring our popup camper to set up a "base camp" for the 2+ weeks we will be there. we tend to use state campgrounds, but would love to hear of anyone's recommendations.

i've ordered 4 books for our hiking & canoeing adventures, so i'll most likely have more questions once i've read thru these books.

thanks so much.
dottie

I would say that Fish Creek/Rollins Pond would be a good central location. Lots of campsites on the water with access to the St. Regis Canoe Wilderness area, and close enough to the High Peaks, Saranac Lake, and the Fulton chain for easy daytripping.

Lake Harris Campground in Newcomb is nice and quiet. It's close to the southern approach to the High Peaks (Upper Works), and Mt. Marcy and other 4000-footers are accessible from there. There are also a lot of nearby lakes and ponds for canoeing.

Try Paradox Lake or Putnam Pond , east of the high peak area for excellent canoing, close to Keene Valley (about 1/2 hr from former, 45 min from latter). John

feedback very helpful,

thanks for the suggestions, it's making planning easier & fun! i'm still waiting to receive the 4 guidebooks i bought online.

since we'll be camping for 2 weeks, wonder how it would be to stay a week at two places? more explored that way?

dottie

dottie said:
since we'll be camping for 2 weeks, wonder how it would be to stay a week at two places? more explored that way?

Absolutely. When I'm in the Adirondacks for more than a day or two, I like moving base camp around. All of the suggestions people have given are nice places. If you stay at Putnam Pond, you can get a half day paddle or so out of the main pond and North Pond, right at the campground, and there are also trailheads into the Pharoah Lake Wilderness. I also agree w/ Mike on Lake Harris-great place, convenient to the Upper Works trailhead, and also pretty close to Long Lake. Staying at any of these lakeside places can mean a lot of bugs, but hopefully by August they at least won't be at their worst. I'd still bring bug dope though!

Matt