48 Winter Record Attempt 3/10 - 3/18 (Updated title)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Hi,

Let me know if you are interested in joining any of the legs or all :) (dogs are welcome - hint for Tom and Atticus). Here is my revised itinerary (subject to change as always.....I'll update on this site after each leg):

3/10 Pressie Traverse from Appalachia start at 4am
Actual start time was 4:18am. I had company by Mark Synnott on this leg.
Appalachia: 4:18am
Summit Madison 7:33am
Summit Adams 8:43am
Summit Jefferson 10:20am
Summit Washington 12:09pm
Summit Monroe 1:37pm
Summit Eisenhover 2:43pm
Summit Pierce 3:36pm
Summit Jackson 5:09pm
Crawford Notch TH 6:16pm Total 13hrs58min
3/11 Wildcat D - Moriah Traverse
Late start: 8:49am
Wildcat D 10:27am
Wildcat A 12:09pm
Carter Dome 2:13pm
South Carter 3:30pm
Middle Carter 4:15pm
Moriah 7:08pm
Stony Brook TH 9:30pm Total time 12hrs41min
3/12 Passaconnaway/Whiteface, Pyramids and Isolation (3 separate trips)
Wonalancet TH 9:13am
Mt. Whiteface 11:59am
Passaconnaway 2:09pm
Wonalancet TH 3:47pm
Isolation and Pyramids put on hold....rest day....
Revised schedule below:
3/13 Isolation, Cabot, Waumbeck
Got an early start here after packing up the motel room to move basecamp to Lincoln.
Isolation took 5hrs54min roundtrip despite putting too much c-vitamins/electrolytes in the water......no further comments of what the side effects were.....or maybe that's why it went quick :D
Cabot took 4hrs7min with the help of a well-meaning moose who tried to pack most of the trail up to Kilkenny Ridge Trail for me. He took occasional breaks in the middle of the trail also leaving enough fur to stuff a pillow from.
Started up Waumbeck at 6:16pm and it was raining pretty good by now. At 3,200 feet i had to put the headlamp on (7:23pm). Rain came and went but the trail held up pretty good. Felt like on an ariplane with the lights down in the valley. Too bad the Pressies couldn't be seen. Came back down at 9:34pm to the car. Feet were getting a little tired again. Took some time to unpack and get organized in Lincoln....it was after 1am before I hit the hay.
3/14 Hale, Willey's, Carrigain
Started with the long one (Carrigain) and it went well although I felt sluggish from yesterday in combination with trail breaking through here and there....unseasonaly warm.....would have loved to hike in shorts today. Before the headwall started at 2,200 feet I took a longer break and reapplied vaseline on my feet before continued. Left bakcpack on false summit and went over to do my pushups on the real summit. On the way down I met Dr. Dasypodidae (Thom) around 4,150 feet and we had a good chat before he continued up and I continued down. Last creek crossing had loosened up a bit since morning and I broke through without getting wet fortunately. On with the skis and skated down the last two miles in 14 minutes in the rain for a total of 6hrs 21 min. Then I went to Crawford Notch where it rained even more and the trail wasn't very co-operative at all.....decided with a lot of hesitation to go home and sleep and get up at midnight to in hope of freezing temps overnight. Changed my schedule to plan for Cannon, Kinsmanns, Willey's and Hale tomorrow
3/15 Cannon, Kinsmanns, Willey's and Hale
After a rainy Cannon and sinking through down to the hut (Kinsmann Ridge too loose) I went into Lonesome Lake Hut to re-apply vaseline. Met the hutkeeper and Bob, Gordon and Tim there. Bob and Gordon runs this website winterhiking.org. Talked a little and I went up Fishin Jimmy in the rain.....ran into flooded areas after half a mile or so managed to cross a handful of them before the following one was too scary by myself. Reluctantly turned back after trying sveral alternate routes with sinking through many times real deep. Bob and Gordon showed up a few minutes after I turned back and decioded to join forces with them to try again. We managed to bypass the section I bailed out from. Then 300 feet later a 20 feet wide wall of water was coming down this steep section. Bob and had had enough although Gordon made some attempts. So we turned back. The water level had risen a bit so it made it a bit more interesting to get back ;)
So after 9hours of work, I had only made Cannon......went back to Lincoln to regroup. Talked with Tom Ryan and other hikers and the flooding seemed to have affected many areas so with the only near-term mountain to climb would have been Tecumseh and then we were expedting this storm the next day.....it wasn't in the cards for this year. Showered and had a beer before taking a nap.......felt good to be dry :D

3/16 Tripyramids, Osceola's, Hancooks, Moosilauke
3/17 Owl's Head, Franconia Ridge and Tecumseh
3/18 Garfield - Bonds Traverse
3/19 Reserved for missed peaks and tired legs

Assuming I start at 4:00am on Saturday 3/10, I have until 0:23am Tuesday 3/20 to be back at the trailhead to beat Tim Seaver's record of 9 days 20 hrs and 24 min set in March 2006. The Women's Record is held by Cath Goodwin with a time of 9 days 23 hrs and 13 min also set in March 2006. The previous record before that was held by Frodo and Stinkyfeet when they in the darkest time of the year (Dec/Jan) of 2003/2004 finished in 10 days 22 hrs and 37 min. The first trio to finish the 48 in one winter was Cath Goodwin, Steve Martin and Cindy DiSanto, in 1994/95. Rumors are that Cath Goodwin was also the first to bag them all twice in one winter (04/05).

The first dog to finish the 48 in one winter was Brutus Rooney (a Newfoundland) who did it in 2004/2005. His owner Kevin Rooney deserves some credit here as well :) Atticus Finch (a mini schnauzer) very recently finished them all in one winter as runner-up in the canine category with his owner Tom Ryan.

I have car support on the first weekend. Will stay in Gorham the first 4 nights and Lincoln the last 6 nights.

Areas of concerns are:
* Wildcat-Moriah traverse connectors
* Mt. Cabot
* Isolation

In the end it's the mountain who decides if you can reach the summit......

Last edited:
Winter Record Attempt!!!

NICE!!!! Best of luck.... I'm planning on doing the pressies on march 3rd as well (provided the weather looks cooperative). However, I'm planning on doing them starting from the south. Any chance you would change your plan and do them starting from Rt. 302 and going north? Also, I'm planning on a 2 am start and probably looking to complete them in 15-ish hours or so.

Youngblood

Record Attempt

Hi fellow hiker,

The main reason I'm doing them from the north is to avoid wind in the face. It's less vertical feet from the South though so it's a pros and cons thing. Do you plan to tag each peak including Jackson (except Isolation)?

Last edited:
48 x

For those that give this a go
whether it be Winter or non Winter
What a wild, crazy & fun journey to experience !

When moments of our adventure creep back
into my mind's eye, I find myself shaking my
head & grinning :cool: Of course, the memories
are supported by Tim's fantastic photograph's
which keeps it VERY alive for me still :)

Enjoy Mats !

Winter Record ATtempt!!!!

Mats Roing said:
Hi fellow hiker,

The main reason I'm doing them from the north is to avoid wind in the face. MAKES SENSE. I'VE SUCCESSFULLY DID THE TRAVERSE LAST MARCH FROM THE NORTH, HOWEVER I'VE TRIED 2 OTHER TIMES (BOTH FROM THE SOUTH) AND HAD TO ABORT THE MISSION DUE TO NASTY WEATHER.It's less vertical feet from the South though so it's a pros and cons thing. Do you plan to tag each peak including Jackson (except Isolation) ABSOLUTELY, IN FACT I WAS ALSO PLANNING ON DOING WEBSTER. IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH US, I WOULDN'T HIKE WEBSTER SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO DO ANY ADDITIONAL MILES.
WE COULD MEET AT THE PARKING LOT FOR VALLEY WAY, SPOT YOUR CAR AND ONE OF OUR CARS THERE, CRUIZE BACK TO ROUTE 302 AND WHEN WE FINISH YOU COULD TAKE OFF TO GET READY FOR CARTER/MORIAHS. I'LL BE AWAY ALL WEEKEND HIKING SO I'LL LOOK FOR A REPLY ON MONDAY.

YOUNGBLOOD

youngblood said:
NICE!!!! Best of luck.... I'm planning on doing the pressies on march 3rd as well (provided the weather looks cooperative). However, I'm planning on doing them starting from the south. Any chance you would change your plan and do them starting from Rt. 302 and going north? Also, I'm planning on a 2 am start and probably looking to complete them in 15-ish hours or so.

Youngblood

Hi I will also do the Presi traverse on March 3rd from the North
to the South. We will be a big group of 12 including Tim Seaver.
We plan to start at 5:00 am at Valley way.

Good chance for the record.

Best wishes for a successful trip, Mats! Here's hoping for broken out trails and no big snowstorms during your attempt. :)

Are you planning to descend Lincoln Slide in order to do the Franconia Ridge peaks and Owls Head together? Frodo and I had hoped to do this during our 2003-04 record but ran out of time and, hence, had to do them separately.

Records will continue to be broken, but having pondered a NH winter 4000 footer record for a long time beforehand and being the first to carry out & accomplish the feat w/Frodo during the winter of 2003-04 was incomparably satisfying. We had a wonderful time, one that I'll forever cherish.

Again, best wishes for a fun-filled, successful adventure in the mountains! :) :) :)

Thanks Stinkyfeet ;-)

I read your story about the winter record and it motivated me to go for it! Thank You! Sounded like a great and long experience! Then I figured out Tim had gone a bit faster so I changed my schedule a bit.

I don't plan on doing Lincoln Slide to Owl's Head. Planning on using skies to Lincoln Brook Trail cut-off from Franconia Brook Trail. Then do Franconia Ridge by itself. AN alternate ending depending on how I feel after 6 days would be to just do the whole Pemi Loop in one sweep and tag Zealand, West Bond and North Twin in the process. I'll skip the last night's sleep that way. Water would be the main issue.....the ridge was in good condition last weekend at least. Might just continue from Owl's Head towards the Bonds. It will be dark around Zealand Mtn.....then I pace myself so it starts to lighten up before hitting Lafayette......and the home stretch.....

Mats

Last edited:
Water on Pemi Loop

Water is almost always flowing at the Guyot Campsite spring but, unfortunately, is a steep 3/10 mile descent from the Bondcliff Trail. :(

The water at Garfield Campsite--which is right on the trail (yay!)--is pretty reliable as well. :)

Will anxiously await your final trip report!

Best of luck, Mats. There will be a large group with some speedy hikers leaving from Appalachia at 5AM Saturday. Hope to see you there.

Just remember - you have a lot of 30 mile days in there. Not as easy as it sounds. Here's to hoping your body and mind are up to the task, especially solo. Have a safe trip!

Best of Luck Matts. Prayers that the mountain gods keep you safe.
We will be looking for you along your journey.

May your trails be broken before you and may the weather be cooperative! good luck! thats a hell of an itinerary :) I've done some of those traverses in the fall and they were tough enough then :)

More Snow

It seems like there will be a significant snowfall on Friday that might make your attempt much harder. Do you have any flexibility in dates?

Well, it is a good point.

I postponed for two weeks now....first after the last big storm and then my Dad broke his hip so I couldn't go last weekend. It all depends how much is coming; is it 6 inches.....no biggie.........is it two feet.....Houston we have a problem.....Spring Equinox is March 20 at 18:07 this year (in our time zone UTC-6).....gotta be down to the trailhead after the last peak by then.......at least the trails are well packed all over except for Cabot which could be good but haven't heard of any report of it. A base is there for all trail at least. Hoping that a lot of peak baggers will be out this weekend. I'm going up Friday and plan on starting.....still open-minded if it looks bad.....going with the group of 12 the Pressie to start with.....should help there at least. Hoping the Carter-Notch crowd does some good packing on both sides. I'm not allergic to packing trails myself either... :)

Last edited:
Mats, I also plan to climb Owl's Head on march 9. Maybe I'll see you! :)

Tim Seaver's record....

Hi Mats, :cool:

With a forecast of 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours in Mount Washingtow area...I think Tim Seaver can sleep confortable for a couple other days!!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck. :)

Pinpin Junior.

Attempt Delayed a week due to "Valentine II...."

Hi All,

See the revised schedule I posted. I like to be one with the mountain.......but more on a "spiritual" level than being one with a fresh deep new snow layer on the mountain when attempting to break a record. Maybe swimming backstroke gazing at the stars at night and the blue sky during day could work well in three feet of virgin snow :)

Cheers, Mats

Last edited:
PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Hi Mats, :cool:

With a forecast of 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours in Mount Washingtow area...I think Tim Seaver can sleep confortable for a couple other days!!!! :rolleyes:

Good Luck. :)

Pinpin Junior.
You mean Frodo and Stinkyfeet (See this) for the Winter Record, but the point is well taken. Deep snow is to fun play in, hard to race in.

Papa Bear said:
You mean Frodo and Stinkyfeet (See this) for the Winter Record, but the point is well taken. Deep snow is to fun play in, hard to race in.

Tim Seaver broke Frodo and Stinkyfeet's record by shaving off about a day of it in March of 2006. Frodo & Stinkyfeet did a sub-11-day sweep and Tim Seaver went below 10 days (see http://www.vermontphoto.com/wildwhites/W48x9/index.htm).
We'll see what I do.....depends on how much backstroke I need to do :) .......Cheers, Mats