Wide Bivy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Those who know me know that I'm not likely to be described as gaunt. I'm looking for a wide body bivy, but all I've tried have been too confining. I'm a warm sleeper, so can deal with the extra room, and toss and turn a bit when I sleep. Anyone know of a wider bivy (like 34 inch width) around the shoulders?

I'll try and do some looking after work, but for now look for winter bivies designed for larger bags. Integral designs, offers (I think) an expedition cut on some of it's bivies to accommodate larger winter bags

SherpaKroto
Integral Designs makes a Sola Bivy and it is 36" wide at the shoulder weighs in at 3 lbs. Looks roomy. I have the Integral Designs Salathe bivy and it is tight with my winter bag/ sleeping pads and I am 5'7" 150lbs. Also the North Face Trek Bivy is on the large size (as far as bivies go). I have no personal experience with it. I looked at bivies for awhile before buying one.

Link to
http://www.integraldesigns.com/bivy-frame.htm

Last edited:
I had a Bibler Tripod which offers very good room, just what you are asking for. The only thing I did not like about it was the zipper only went down just past the waist and I found it tight to get in.

The added headroom was great to give you a chance to read a book or sit up without having a feeling of being closed in.

Here is a link to some choices:
http://www.backcountrystore.com/store/product_group_results.html?pg_id=216&brand_id=127

I should have been a bit clearer (sorry). What I'm looking for is a basic bivy bag to keep me dry in my Betamid, or in a leanto in winter. I also want to use it in 3 season for light backpacking trips when I might not want to bother with a tent. I have looked at one from Cabela's that might do the job. I'm trying to keep it on the inexpensive side.

SK,

Look at Bibler bivys.

They have several models. The Winter bivy ($99, water-resistant and sized for winter bags) is 35 inches wide by 85 inches long.

I have the Big Wall Long (waterproof/breathable) which is 35 x 99 inches.

As you know, I'm no small whippersnapper and my winter bag and I fit in it fine. I would try to borrow or rent one first before you get too excited though. They are a bit difficult to get in and out of, but it's great when you need several extra degrees or total waterproofness.

the Big Wall ($219 - long) and the Hooped ($209 - long) are the same thing except the Big Wall has a tie-in point. they aren't cheap, but they are terrific to have with you. If you want one for under your Betamid, you might do fine with just the Winter bag.

I'll bring it to BSP and you can give it a whirl....

spencer

SK,
There were some nice military goretex bivys for sale on ebay. They were running about 70-80 dollars, which is a steal for goretex. I figure they are probably pretty wide, since they would have to accomadate those wide shoulder marines....

-percious

My pref for winter use in a 'mid or in a lean to is for a bivy with a waterproof floor and a non-waterproof top.

Here is one from OR:
http://tinyurl.com/2fkyz

I have an old, somewhat similar one from TNF (long since discontinued). Like the OR and Bibler mentioned, it uses a micofiber top. I get noticably less condensation and frost in mine than buddies who use GoreTex bivies.

My reservation about the Bibler is the lack of a waterproof floor. Body heat and a compressible down bag can melt stuff underneath of you.

sportmans guide

Sportmans guide sells some oversized ones. I have one of his rectagular ones and like it very well (inexpensive too!). Look under his sleeping bag selection and you'll find the bivys.

Last edited: