Marc let me write a TR! Waumbek, 2/25/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
Although he does a mighty fine job chronicling his trips, I had to have a go at one myself.

After our Vose Spur trip, we retired to North Conway to lick our wounds. The licking our wounds part was done in the hot tub of the eastern slope inn (told you we'd poach it, but alas for marc, no single ladies). That was wonderful, letting the pain melt away from our bodies while we received migraines from the 20+ screaming massachusetts 10 year olds on vacation. Once the bodily pain was tempered, we headed over to the Moat Mt Pub so say hi to Dawn and good luck. It was a busy place, and we ended up standing but did have the chance to meet McRat, spongebob, toecozy, Dawn herself, and a couple names I'm forgetting. We headed home soon thereafter and crashed hard.

Sunday morning we "slept in." After getting up at 5:30 the day before, 7:00 seemed downright heavenly. We headed out for a second breakfast at Bea's in two days and then further onto the town of Jefferson. The Starr King lot was fairly full, so we anticipated a lot of company. We hit the trail at 10:00 is quite possibly the most beautiful winter hiking weather I have ever experienced. The temp was hovering around freezing, no wind at all, and the sky was so incredibly clear and blue that I stopped multiple times on the way up simply to marvel.

The trail itself was wonderfully well packed. This was good, considering the case of the stolen snowshoes. Marc makes a great snowcat and every time I did sink through he tromped on through godzilla-style and fixed the postholes. Once we reached the summit of SK my jaw dropped at the beauty. The last time I had been there was 4 years ago on a hazy summer day where i soloed in 2 1/2 hours with blinders on. The view yesterday was astounding and reached for the horizon. The Presis sat blanketed in brilliant white, as well as Franconia. I swear I could see my house in VT as well. We dropped pack after some eats and beelined for Waumbek. Then we started meeting the owners of the cars.

The other hikers we encountered stared at my feet as if they were leperous. I felt like stopping every single person, holding them by both shoulders, and telling the woeful story of the stolen MSR's, and to please not judge me. We did run into an AMC group were jazzbo recognized Marc and stopped to chat (I swear. Couple more years of this and he'll be as recognizable as the Beatles). Buckette (this can't be right. I can't find this name so we simply must have misheard) was among them as well. At the summit we took the requisite pictures and headed back. The trip from SK back to the parking lot was quick one. I got to glissade a lot and Marc flew along behind me in his snowshoes like a man possessed.

We hit the lot at a couple minutes past 3:00 and soaked up the sun a little bit more before sinking into the wonderfully soporific drive home on rt 2 and i91.

All in all, a wondeful day of winter hiking. One of the best. Also a good way to dull the memories of Vose Spur, which was by all means a less fun trip.

Here are the pictures! Enjoy the glory of blue blue sky and white white snow!
http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Waumbek070225/

Last edited:
Woohoo! Yes what a kick ass day for a hike. Nice meeting Jazzbo and Buckette.

Too bad about the hot tub, I had to deal with the tourist traffic on 93 south at the Hooksett tolls. It was backed up to 89.. UGH. 85% Mass plates too. Good Ol' vacation week