Lyon Mountain Firetower Presentation & Forum

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAYDK

Reaction score
Quote from the March-April 2007 Algonquin Chaper of ADK " Mountain Topics" newsletter.

"Lyon Mountain Firetower
The Algonquin Chapter ADK will be presenting on Friday March 2nd 2007 at 7:30pm (meeting starts at 7:00) a slide presentation and forum centering on Lyon Mountain: fire tower restoration, trail construction, educational interpretation and ensuing management
issues. Steve Guglielmi of the Department of Environmental Conversation will speak to management issues both of the fire tower and trail usage.
Jack Freeman of the Adirondack Mountain Club and author of ,
“Views from on High:Fire Tower Trails in the Adirondacks and
Catskills” will address the challenge and process of fire tower restoration.
David Thomas -Train will talk about the proposed work on the new Lyon Mountain trail. Both Jack & David are affiliated with a new not- for- profit organization: The Adirondack Fire Tower
Association (AFTA) . AFTA has been working with committees at
nine restored fire towers and is reaching out to individuals and groups interested in restoring several other towers including the one on Lyon Mountain and what part we can play.
Meeting place:
\ Old Clinton County Courthouse
Corner of Court & Margaret Streets
Second Floor Auditorium
Plattsburgh , NY " Public Welcome

Glad to see that the firetower on Lyon is potentially going to be restored. It holds a special place for me - it was the first Adirondack mountain I ever climbed, 40 years ago

They announced the closing on WIRY(local radio) last night.Lyon mountain is a great mountain , with good views.It needs a new trail as the old one is washed out and rutted. If they(Algonquin ADK) reschedules , I will post.
Happy Trails Tom