Bring those snowshoes -- new storm is brewin'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
NWS Albany got off the dime about fifteen minutes ago and issued a winter storm watch for Thurs -- Fri. Boston (Taunton) office is hedging for now with just a special weather statement, no watches or warnings yet. Ditto for Burlington, but they're looking for some serious snow in northern VT and NY. Gray/Portland is sitting on the fence -- they pulled their earlier special weather statement, no watches yet, but "looks like a signficant snow event" in the forecast discussion.

I am extremely confident that the Whites will get a nice dump from this one -- best to plan on snowshoe conditions this weekend in northern NH and western Maine, methinks. Other places to the south will want to be ready for a very mixed event.

Last edited:
Here it comes (typos at no extra cost):

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
352 PM EST WED FEB 28 2007

...MAJOR SNOW STORM POSSIBLE ACROSS REGGION THURSDAY NIGHT AND
FRIDAY...

.SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION THURSDAY NIGHT AS
MOISTURE STREAMS NORTHWARD AHEAD OF AN OCCLUDED FRONT THAT IS
ASSOCIATED WITH LOW PRESSURE OVER THE GREAT LAKES. A SECONDARY LOW
WILL DEVELOP OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST FRIDAY THEN MOVE
NORTHEAST THROUGH THE GULF OF MAINE FRIDAY NIGHT. THE COMBINATION
OF STORM SYSTEMS WILL BRING THE THREAT OF HEAVY SNOW TO THE ENTIRE
REGION.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE LATE
THURSDAY EVENING...THEN SPREAD NORTHEASTWARD OVERNIGHT. ACCUMULATIONS
OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL NEW
HAMPSHIRE BY MORNING WITH SEVERAL INCHES POSSIBLE IN WESTERN
MAINE BY MORNING. SNOW WILL CONTINUE FRIDAY...POSSIBLY MIXING WITH
SLEET...FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND
COASTAL MAINE LATE FRIDAY MORNING AND DURING THE AFTERNOON. WHILE
IT IS TOO EARLY TO FORECAST EXACT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...THERE IS A
GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL ACROSS
THE REGION.

Looks like a good chance for another snow day in my neck of the woods. I'll be busting out the XC skis in the woods behind my house that morning if so (before the new stuff covers the tracks I already have down). Yahoooooo!!!

Another big snow day in the VT mountains??? Looks like i am headed out to try to kill myself again on the ski slopes. Woo-hoo! Had some really awesome double detach front flips across the slopes last time. Soft landings though...

we aren't all happy

trip to baxter cancelled, ravines likely loaded with high avy all weekend, problematic to drive up there friday eve.

it ain't great to all of us.................. :mad: :mad: esp when the weekends you pick to head north all turn out like this.......

With 5-6 feet of snow already in the Whites, this will make it finally a deep snow year. It has been many years since there was this much snow. NOAA is calling for 1-2 feet plus of snow for the mountains. It will be a safe bet that 1-3 feet will fall! Bring your snowshoes! -Mattl

giggy

giggy said:
trip to baxter cancelled, ravines likely loaded with high avy all weekend, problematic to drive up there friday eve.

That's gotta hurt, cancelling because you can't get there. And all the planning. You know it could always be worse, driving all the way to Baxter and then it rains all weekend.

If we stay all snow, then this storm will be good. But some indications are for lots of warm air at mid levels, so sleet, freezing rain is a very big possibility, even in the mtns. This is something you need to pay attention to, because it means the difference between 4-8 inches, and 1-2 feet! Pray for snow!!!!

grouseking

out the window

Looking out the window makes me want to get out there in this. That guy who climbed Mount Monadnock for six years had something--get out in all conditions--breath in those snowflakes, let it accumulate on your hat. There is no need to get above the trees on a day like this, but I would dig a hike up Monadnock today.

I have about 3” on my porch railing in Thornton, with temps around 29f . The wind has increased causing white-out conditions at times. WMUR is still call for 10” to 20” in my area. I tend to think the 20” is a tad too optimistic. Schools closed, so I get to go play in the snow.