A few more winter peaks – real winter this time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
24th Feb. – Isolation + Waumbek

Slept in my car at the Rocky Brook trailhead. Very windy overnight. Winds were so strong that they by moments rocked my minivan. Had the impression of sleeping on water bed but hélas alone, though at one point… but t’was only a dream.

Left off at 06h45, 15 min. after a group of 4 that I soon overtook. Followed a broken trail to about halfway up col between Davis & Isolation were snowshoe tracks ceased. Was a good 1½ m. from Isolation pk. Decided to go straight uphill leaning towards peak on my left which I thought at the time was Davis but as pointed out in NH_Mtn_Hiker’s recent report was a ledge about ¾ m. SE of Isolation. Going was slow & somewhat strenuous but eventually made it to summit of ledge where 50-60 mph winds greeted me, so didn’t linger. Was I glad that I had changed my plans for that day & had not attempted a Lafayette-Flume traverse.

Then decided to bushwhack NW along col towards Isolation. Big mistake. Very rough going, with 2-3 ft of snow to plow in a mine field of spruce traps often sinking in to my waist. Would take me hrs to reach my objective if I persisted along that route; so after a few hundred yards I turned around to go back to ?Davis(ledge) & from there find Davis trail due west. Back on ledge had the welcomed surprise of meeting again the group of 4, but which had now grown to a party of 7 warriors to help break trail. We briefly introduced ourselves. Was nice to finally meet Mountain Dew man, alias NH_Mtn_Hiker, as well as Mike & Sam. The group of 4 turned back & the rest of us after failing to find spur trail decided to head due west and after about 20 min. of bushwhacking came upon the Davis path and thereafter it was easy sailing to summit of Isolation.

Were on top of Isolation by 12h00. For the return followed the unbroken Isolation trail but going was easy & downhill. Was back to my car by 15h10 & shortly thereafter off for quick meal in Gorham and then to Waumbek trailhead. Started off at 16h30 & was back at 20h30. Nice uneventful solitary moonshine hike. Very mind appeasing, especially when your body is tired. Trail well broken right to summit but not beyond towards Weeks.

25th Feb. Rest day

26th Feb. Lafayette/Lincoln/Liberty/Flume/Liberty

What a marvellous day it was. The best this winter so far for me. Sunshine all day with warm temps & perfectly clear sky. Superb views. Started off at 07h00, was on top of Lafayette at 08h50, on Flume by 13h00 & back to parking at 16h50. Met no one all day and thus had the rare privilege of having the ridge all to myself. Trails very well packed all the way. A bit of postholing between Liberty & Flume. Surface snow was melting by midday. On Flume summit after eating lunch laid back on snow to rest 20 min. with warm sun shining on my face. A most delightful experience.

27th Feb. Horn/Bulge/Cabot

Another beautiful warm day. Off at 08h10 on Unknown Pond trail following snowshoe tracks & sled. No vehicle in parking lot. 15 min. later came upon group camping out in woods along trail. Military sled & equipment. Must be on winter maneuvers. BTW gate on York Pond road is always kept open. Then followed ski tracks up to unknown Pond where ski group had turned around.

Thereafter it was hard work, the Kilkenny trail not having been broken since the 2-3 ft snow dump of 2 weeks ago. The section between Pond & Horn spur was a real Moose Lane with terrible deep postholes all over. Decided to bushwhack up Horn at height of land instead of continuing on to spur trail since I might decide to turn back after bagging Horn. Took 90 min. from trail to reach large flat rock on summit. Very difficult climb by moment, very exhausting.

Took 15 min. rest on pk gazing at landscape, wondering how many hikers made it here this winter. Then had to make a difficult decision, go back or attempt Bulge & Cabot. Day was still very young,12h15, and I felt strong; so I’ll take it one step at the time and see how I fare out. Going up Bulge was slow but steady. On summit took no break & pushed on downhill to col towards Cabot. On way uphill to Cabot lost trail which was very difficult to follow in that open hardwood section, but then if you just go uphill you just can’t miss summit. No false pks here. However this 2nd bushwhack of the day proved to be a nightmare, just about exhausting me to death. The last 150 ft climb was awfully tough going with snow to waist & innumerable spruce traps, once to shoulder level. Arrived to Cabot summit shortly before 16h00 very very tired. Fell to my knees and cried of joy when I saw snowshoe tracks! Took a long long rest at cabin & took it real slow on the way down. My legs felt weak & I didn’t want to fall and hurt myself. But eventually made it out safely and drove off at 19h30. In retrospect should have turned back after Horn.

Conclusion: 1. Trail between Cabot & Unknown Pond now open for business.

2. Now have completed 37/48 Winter Whites 4K and 43/100 Winter NH100

Pierre

One part of me wants to hug you and congratulate you.

Another part of me wants to hit you up side of the head for doing so many difficult Winter hikes solo.

I am guilty of my share of solo Winter hikes. And I am aware that you are very good at risk assessment. So, just pull it back a notch, will ya? I'm getting scared. Or, I'm getting old. Maybe a bit of both.