Class 5 bushwhacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, let's list out a few of our class 5s. I'm not sure if this will be considered a warning or invitation. I guess it depends on your desires.

Hmmmm? Let's see.

there was:

Barren from Owl. (Baxter)
Anywhere on the east flank of Kilburn (dacks)
East Lily Bay (ME)
the col between Dartmouth from Millen Hill
West side of the captain
JHS

Colour me newb, I've never even heard of one of those. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Marshall from the South

Hough straight up from the Boquet valley

Hopkins to Knob Lock at night (all night; 8:00 PM - 3:10 AM)

All fun, though!

TCD

It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack. Something with an awesome view at dawn. BTW, What do you call that drink consisting of orange juice and champagne?

How about a night bushwhack finishing up on a high peak with freshly squeezed orange juice and champagne. Call it the Mamosa challenge or something.

Neil said:
It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack.............

Are you people INSANE :D .

I can't think of many bushwhacks that I'd have enjoyed at night. Then again, on a few of them, it was so thick, it might as well been nighttime. ;)

Hmmmmm..... Class 5 whacks. Sure, all the ones that I've done with Bushwhacker, who more than lives up to his name :cool:

John, Mullen from the summit of Fort definitely qualifies! You had the good sense to do it from the old Mullen Brook tote road.

Gruesome list!

The West side of the Captain is pretty nasty, but I also think that the Anderson/Lowell area should get an honorable mention ;)

Quite a list JS. Barren & Mullen are no picnic from anywhere, and S Abraham is worse than Middle.

Neil said:
It would be fun to organize a night group bushwhack. Something with an awesome view at dawn.
I've been on an organized night bushwhack, but it was no worse than Category 2, and because it was moonlit with scattered snow, I didn't use a light.

But we didn't stay out till dawn, just looked at the view till we froze and went back. DC may remember it.

Neil said:
How about a night bushwhack

After severely scratched cornea in BOTH eyes which left me without vision for quite a few days, and unable to drive for about 3 weeks, I'd never do a night bushwhack through thick stuff. Heck it was daytime when the branches got my eyes. First one I didn't see because of fogged glasses, and the second one was probably due to no depth perception as a result of only one good eye.

The true summit of Fulling Mill Mountain from the AT. .25 miles of hell.

mavs00 said:

Are you people INSANE :D .

I can't think of many bushwhacks that I'd have enjoyed at night.

Having just been there, I would do the Wright slide approach and the slide itself as a nocturnal effort. I'd wait for a full or at least 1/2 moon and a clear night.

2 gotta haves: bright head lamps and ski goggles.

Whose coming?

Middle Abraham from somewhere along Norton Brook, probably the longest ordeal we've had. The spruces were so tangled that we had to crawl along the rabbit runs.

West Huntington from the west, where the blowdowns reign.

Below the lower summit of Cow Ridge, if you try to beeline back to the logging road. The spruces are so close together and big enough that they're hard to bend out of the way.

I agree with the Millen Hill-Dartmouth col!

So close

spencer said:
East Turner from South Turner :D
Hey Spencer, I almost said that one too. But I am going to go with:

South Turner from East Turner!

The Flat Mountain summit ridge used to be a class 5 bushwhack when we first did it back in the mid 1980s. We approached from the Fletcher Cascades then. I remember finding a RoySwkr register bottle in all that thick green spruce. I returned in 2000 with Sue Eilers, this time from the Flat Mtn Ponds area. I couldn't believe the change! The summit ridge forest was fairly open matured snappers, much easier to pass through than earlier times. REF: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4866875&e=302381&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

audrey said:
[
I agree with the Millen Hill-Dartmouth col! [/B]

There's an altimeter watch in there somewhere.
Ripped from my arm without even knowing it.
I thought about looking for it but I couldn't see the ground several feet below my boots.