Mt Ellen and Mt Abraham via Long Trail 3/3/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docross

In Memoriam to a Deceased Member
Reaction score
4 of us started from the base of the Mt Ellen ski area at 8:30 and headed up slope. At the base it was 45 and sunny, so we were quickly layered-down for the climb. We met one ski patroller who thought we should have hiking passes, but when he radioed his base, they said we could continue up without the passes. (Moral: it is a good idea to check in with Ski Patrol).

Two hours and 2500 vertical feet later we summited Ellen, now in fog, and headed off onto the LT, to see if it had been broken out since Mad Townie's report last week. We were delighted to see that skiers and boarders had been up there, so we headed south.

No problem until the col after Cutt's Peak, when the ski tracks disappeared, and we lost the trail. We estimated anywhere from 5 to 8 feet of snow were on the ridge. Fred fell into a spruce trap 2 feet over his head, similar to what befell Mad Townie. By the time he got out, we had found the trail again.

We lost the trail a few more times, and fell into a few more traps, but by Nancy Hanks the skiers and boarders had reappeared, and we had a relatively easy time of it to Lincoln Peak, the top of Sugarbush, south area. We arrived there about 2 pm. An officious ski patroller said that he would prefer that we descend his slopes after 4 pm when the lift stopped; we assured him that we wouldn't be back from Abraham until well after the lifts stopped.

It turned out that the trail to Abraham hadn't been broken out recently, but at some point it had been, since we only sank 6-8 inches before finding a consolidated base. We reached the Abraham summit at 3:15, traded hi-fives, and headed back down out of the wind. After some light refreshment, we booked it back to Lincoln, arriving there just at 4 pm.

Nobody but friendly ski patrollers there, and we walked and butt-slid down the slope. We hadn't spotted a car, since we were sure that the LT hadn't been broken out, but fortunately Marty has a slick butt, or something, and reached the parking lot just as the last shuttle to Ellen was leaving. We had thought to give him the keys to one of the vehicles, and by the time we got down, we only had a 10 minute wait before Marty showed up.

Of course, due to all the snow, and the recent storm, we were hiking along the LT in the tree-tops; consequently we were soaked through, despite Gore-tex. Luckily temps were on the warm side, even on the ridge (probably in the low 20s).

We over-nighted at the Brandon Motor Lodge and ate a fine meal at Sully's in Brandon, with plenty beer. This am we breakfasted down the road at a nice diner, and headed to Pico, which we knocked off in 3 hours RT, up and down the slopes (this time we checked in with Ski Patrol).

All in all, a satisfying weekend, and #70 through 72 for my Winter NE HH.

Thanks to Fred McH, Marty J, and Bob B for breaking trail and companionship! Thanks to Mad Townie for his original reports on 2/24 and 2/25, and his emails to my questions.

Last edited:
Docross, glad to hear you all had as much fun as we did (well, I guess Fred did, anyway :D ). Too bad about that one patroller, though.

So tell me, where does the trail leave Lincoln Peak heading toward Abrhaham? Is it at the spot where there's a sign post but no sign?

Mad Townie said:
So tell me, where does the trail leave Lincoln Peak heading toward Abrhaham? Is it at the spot where there's a sign post but no sign?
Right uphill from the top of the lift, there is a knob; once we got to the summit of the peak we found the trail without too much trouble. We had left the LT and taken a ski trail to the warming hut as the path of least resistance.

I can't remember if there was a sign there or not, but the trail immediately started descending in the correct direction.

docross said:
Fred fell into a spruce trap 2 feet over his head, similar to what befell Mad Townie..
Scary stuff. What's the full body extraction technique ?

docross said:
We reached the Abraham summit at 3:15, traded hi-fives, and headed back down out of the wind.
We just missed you. Puck and I came up from Battell and summited Abraham around 2. Our intent was to do an out and back to Ellen, but we decided Abraham would be it due to trail conditions and lack of time.

Chip said:
Scary stuff. What's the full body extraction technique ?

He said he "built a ramp" and wiggled his way out. I wasn't close enough to see, but when I fell in up to my chest, I may have done the same thing by leaning back and freeing up my snowshoes enough to pile up snow underneath them, and then twisting and inching my way up. It helps if you can grab onto a nearby tree.

In this situation it is very difficult for another person to help, first because they could easily fall into the trap, second because people don't have handles, and grabbing the pack or an arm or hand never seems to work; the problem usually is lack of traction with the feet.

It reminds me of a Lowell-Anderson bushwhack we did a couple of years ago. Each of us fell into spruce traps, which at first caused uproarious laughter from the guys on the surface. However, after this has happened a few times, it ceases to be funny, since it really saps your energy. The worse places always seem to be the cols.

Chip said:
We just missed you. Puck and I came up from Battell and summited Abraham around 2. Our intent was to do an out and back to Ellen, but we decided Abraham would be it due to trail conditions and lack of time.

Too bad! If we had known of each other's presence, you could have headed toward Ellen, and benefitted from our trail-breaking, and we from yours. You would have had more of a problem with the lack of a car-spot, however. ;)

docross said:
Right uphill from the top of the lift, there is a knob; once we got to the summit of the peak we found the trail without too much trouble.
Was it right next to the observation platform (i.e., within 20 feet)?, or was it down lower? I suspect that if you had taken the one next to the platform you would have seen our tracks and where they ended, not too far beyond there.

It was so windy up there that I just kept my head down, so I was particularly unobservant. To say nothing of the fact that we had been on the go for 5.5 hours and still had to bag Abraham, which was not a certainty at that point.

I have a GPS track of the day; I haven't looked at it myself, but I can send it to you if it would be of interest.