#67 A Spectacular finish on Old Speck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
In November of 2003 Little Sister and I set out together to hike our first 4000 footer together on Waumbek. The following November we successfully completed the New Hampshire 4000-Footers on Moosilauke with our goal being met to have them all hiked within one year. The following week after finishing we decided to hike Waumbek again so that we would hike them all in one year….and so the madness begins.

Back in September of 2004 Little Sister came with Paul and myself on her first trip to Baxter State Park and so we begin peakbagging together again as we start working on another list. In 2005 we did a few backpacking trips with MichaelJ and Poison Ivy and got most of the Maine peaks. Little Sister is not much into bushwhacking so she passed on the trip that I had taken on the Crockers and Reddington. We also made another trip to Baxter that same year and hiked the Brothers and Coe.

Fast forward to January 2007. The Winter Gathering provided a perfect opportunity to tackle the Vermont peaks and so we did. Two weeks later we set out to hike the Crockers and Reddington….and then there was one.

So, yesterday morning we head out to Old Speck. It seemed fit to finish this list on a Maine peak seeing that we are both native Mainers. We met up with Action Cath just after 9 and made our way up the AT. Everyone says the AT has a magical feeling and today it did, well, at least for me it did. Maybe it was the shot blocks. The trail never went straight for more then a few steps…..twisting and turning as it makes it way up with a feeling of anticipation of what’s to come around each corner. There is nothing dull or boring about this section of trail….up and down and around and around. The spur trail to the summit was like a snow tunnel…the snow-laden limbs hung low creating archways along the way.

And then we were there. #67! Yippee! Hoping for a brief break in the weather we passed the time on the summit by feeding two hungry gray jays. What a day and what an adventure it has been. Thanks Sis for all the wonderful hikes we have taken together. Thanks also to everyone who we have met along the way and who have dared to hike with us two crazy Mainers.

Pictures to come……

-MEB

Last edited:
Congratulations to you both! Well done.

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Earl

Way to go, MEB & Little Sister! You two are such a blast to hike with. I can't wait to see what you decide to take on next!

Awesome! Congratulations! Now enjoy the weight-off-the-shoulders feeling of hiking wherever you'd like. Unless, of course, the 100 is calling... :D

OH DEAR! :eek:

I just checked, and I only need 15 more.....
hummmmm :rolleyes:

Great job MEB and Little Sister!! We know that you two are just getting started. :D

nice

sorry i couldn't make it ..wtg--it is always a pleasure hiking with the girls...even tho they are sometimes MEAN???

Wow! Congrats to MEB and Little Sister! I'm so happy for the both of you -- what a wonderful accomplishment--sharing it as sisters makes it all the more special! :)

I love Old Speck and the magical AT, what a wonderful place to finish. Can't wait to see your pictures.

MEB and Little Sister: Big Congrats! I was lucky enough to finish my 67 with other finishers on North Brother - having someone who really understands what you accomplished is nice, feeling the sentiments together is even nicer!
(BTW, Ole Speck was my 1st 4k. It's a sweet peak!)

Now if Townie could ever get motivated and work on his 67 a bit ;)

Congratulation Mary Ellen and Rachel.

There is something special in sharing these mountains with those we love whether they be family or friends (human or otherwise). This is an achievement you two will be able to look back on with fondness when you are both in your 90s in some Maine nursing home raising holy hell.