Air Travel w Hiking Poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Anyone recently traveled by air with hiking poles?

I imagine they need to be checked w bagage as all deadly weapons must be.

But, has anyone tried to carry them on?
cb

did last july - not a problem at all. I collapsed them and the fit in the case. I also had 2 ice axes, couple of ice screws, etc. - no problems.

did not try and carry on -

Last edited:
Ski poles are specifically prohibited from being carried on... I'm sure in the eyes of the airline personnel trekking poles are the same thing.

I've always checked mine without a problem... just make sure to have the tips covered especially if you have a soft sided bag. We had one set poke a whole through our duffle because we forgot to use the tip protectors.

- Ivy

Wouldn't try to carry the on--too weapon-like.

I've carried them in a suitcase--IIRC, 3 section poles will fit in a 1-suiter, certainly in a 2-suiter.

I've also carried them in a duffel bag (along with a collapsed internal-frame pack and the rest of my gear)--just pad them with clothing.

Doug

ChrisB said:
But, has anyone tried to carry them on?
cb

No, and personally, I wouldn't try as they'd probably be confiscated. As giggy says - put them in checked luggage, no worries. Have flown many times with poles, crampons, ice axes, etc - almost always that piece of luggage has a TSA tag showing they checked out my stuff, but never any problems.

I know people who have used trekking poles as canes - they can't take away your cane!

...fake a limp ;)

Why tempt fate?

The last time I flew with hiking gear was a couple of years ago. I packed the trekking poles with regular baggage, figuring there was no way I'd be allowed to carry them aboard. No problem at all doing that. And it was one less thing to contend with in my hand baggage.

G.

cbcbd said:
I know people who have used trekking poles as canes - they can't take away your cane!
Yes they could. Those guys have POWER. A guy was banned from a flight for reading "Hayduke Lives"

OTOH, canes ARE allowed if they are not sharp. Ski poles are NOT allowed. They are usually not liberal in their interpretation of the rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

But it can be expensive to test their limits. FOr the kinky, note that small containers of whipped cream ARE allowed.

i was lucky enough to score some leki super short poles a while back and they collapse down really small--went in the suitcase. i am 5ft 5 and i extended them almost all the way for hiking, so tall people would not use these poles. leki does not make them but every so often someone sells them on ebay. susan