Winter Hiking Etiquette

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it would be wise to start a basic Health and Hygenie thread.

To me good... Winter Etiquette... would be normal good basic hygeine on the trails.
I'm pretty surprised (understatement) that people don't even think it's necessary.

There is lot's of available info...but you could always start with Mountaineering...Freedom of the Hills.
It is a well respected book many of us are familar with.

Ever wonder why so much of our water is not fit for drinking...?

Mike P. said:
So people pee & poop is gross, what about your pet? I don't want to step in any poop, regardless of source...
I guess I'd like to believe that we've evolved to a somewhat higher level than dogs. My dog doesn't use the toilet at home, and pretty much dumps wherever he gets the urge outside. I, on the other hand, try like hell to use the toilet...
I don't get excited about dog poop on the trail. There aren't as many dogs as people, and they're DOGS. Personally I don't see any reason at all for a human being to leave a steaming pile on the trail, it just isn't that hard to get a bit off trail. And if you must pee, it isn't that hard to at least cover it with snow. C'mon people, you're walking miles on that hike. Add a few yards and save my boots and my sensibilities. :rolleyes:

banjolady said:
this inspired a limerick/poem

when down from a mountain descending
precarious balance defending
it is often superior
to use one's posterior
insuring a happier ending!

written by banjolady august 2006 while sliding down south percy peak

Royalty checks??? :)

spider solo said:
Perhaps it would be wise to start a basic Health and Hygenie thread.

To me good... Winter Etiquette... would be normal good basic hygeine on the trails.
I'm pretty surprised (understatement) that people don't even think it's necessary.

There is lot's of available info...but you could always start with Mountaineering...Freedom of the Hills.
It is a well respected book many of us are familar with.

Ever wonder why so much of our water is not fit for drinking...?

yea - I do agree with this - but I think for the amount of folks tramping through the NE hills, it is rather clean- very clean actually. Any statements I made here are based on what I have seen over the last 10 years on my treks, it has nothing to do with what may happen - yea, if everyone decided to posthole, and everyone went to the bathroom in the same spot, day after day on the trail. I don't think this happens. So we see the ocasional "thing" on the trail - I don't see the end of the world due to this.

(Edited out giardia comments - don't feel like dealing with the BS)

Winter Etiquette: be pleasant, have fun, say hi and offer help if someone needs it.

Last edited:
About the "etiquette" of urinating or defecating on a trail …

I don’t know about anybody else here, but I certainly do not go hiking to experience walking in an open sewer – in any season.

G.

Rangers story

A very famous ranger caught a group of hikers post-holing all the way up to Marcy and he made them return and fill in all their postholes all the way back to Marcy Dam. When meeting this very famous ranger for the first time he was carrying a very big ax. We asked him if he carried the ax to make snowshoes for the people without them? He stated, it was to cut off their legs so they could crawl back to the trail head. The rangers take this practice very seriously and so should we.

C P

Hey Grumpy I'm with you. Can we just cover over the yellow pee holes? Please? Just kick a little snow on it. It's not hard..... just a little snow.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie. I've pulled off the trail, put my skis into a \ /, and peed right in the middle. Figured it looked funny. :)

My apologies for any offense, and will take the extra step to cover it up in the future.

I take no responsibility any dooks in the trail. That's just downright nasty.

p.s. I still hate glissaders!!

Last edited:
dug said:
I'm not going to lie. I've pulled off the trail, put my skis into a \ /, and peed right in the middle. Figured it looked funny. :)

My apologies for any offense, and will take the extra step to cover it up in the future.

I take no responsibility any dooks in the trail. That's just downright nasty.

p.s. I still hate glissaders!!

Thanks Dug. Just a little snow.

Reekee said:
A very famous ranger caught a group of hikers post-holing all the way up to Marcy and he made them return and fill in all their postholes all the way back to Marcy Dam.
giggy said:
also taking a whizz or a dropping a stool are natural actions - no big deal.

just wondering how much it took to fill in all those postholes. Did you have high fiber powerbars or something?

Last weekend I listened to a Podcast on this subject from Wildebeat.net. It ran in two parts last fall and is titled "The Poop on Mt. Whitney." Of course, things are different here in New England. As far as carrying "it" out, I'd say at least go off trail and don't leave any paper behind. Dedicate a baggy in a pocket to that stuff -- it doesn't decompose quickly at all. In winter, push snow around the solid matter and toss or kick it (if you're talented that way) away from the trailside, if that's where you've gone. Wild animal scat in the woods is totally acceptable, but human waste isn't.

Reekee said:
A very famous ranger caught a group of hikers post-holing all the way up to Marcy and he made them return and fill in all their postholes all the way back to Marcy Dam. When meeting this very famous ranger for the first time he was carrying a very big ax. We asked him if he carried the ax to make snowshoes for the people without them? He stated, it was to cut off their legs so they could crawl back to the trail head. The rangers take this practice very seriously and so should we.

Wow. I love New Hampshire :) :) :)

SteveHiker said:
just wondering how much it took to fill in all those postholes. Did you have high fiber powerbars or something?
It wasn't me but the story was enough for me to take it more seriously. I'm a big fan of the original power bar........poptarts!

kmorgan said:
Do that many of you regularly poop on the trail? I always "go" before leaving my house in the morning. I only go on a hike if it's an emergency or more than a day hike. I also try to "pack it out".
For some reason people have been ignoring this one

I do not usually defecate on day hikes, it is embarassing and inconvenient when you are with a group and suddenly have to go. But sometimes I need to, depending on length of hike, start time, what I've eaten, medication I'm taking, etc. Occasionally the place I camped has poor toilet choices so I will plan to go later. As in other aspects of life, sometimes you can plan ahead which is more convenient and sometimes it will hit you suddenly and you have less choice of location.

A guy I know had diarrhea on a Baldfaces hike on a windy day near zero, I would have stayed home or picked someplace more sheltered

Some places in the W suggest that you burn toilet paper & I comply if I deem it safe