Baldwin leanto on Mt Tremper (Catskills)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I'm thinking of adopting this leanto, as opposed to Warren's old leanto on Terrace Mtn, do you know how busy this leanto gets used? I've only passed by it once and it has a nice view towards Woodland Valley cross Rt 28 and towards Phoenicia. I'm thinking I could easily do my maintenance on the CO trail and this leanto in the same day, however, it's too far a hike from the CO trail unlike the leanto on Terrace Mtn where I could hike over Slide, Cornell, and Witt. to get to.... However, I'm commiting myself to the entire weekend for that, whereas I could easily do my maintaining of the CO trail in the morning and then drive over to Tremper and do that... That leaves me committed (no...not that commited!!!) to one full day.

Jay

Tremper Leantos

I only stayed once in the leanto on Mt Tremper and it was the lower one (not the one on the summit). And it seemed to me that they both are used quite alot, but they did not looked trashed at all. The mountain does get a fair amount of use as it affords great views from the popular firetower and due to accessibility. The higher l/t does not have a water source and the lower one had a water source handy- just so you know.

Thanks WS, the lower one with the water source is the Baldwin leanto.

The leanto was in good shape when I went by, even had a broomstick in it.

Jay

I'm thinking it doesn't get as much use as other lean-tos in the Catskills. You might check out the lean-to journal to get a better idea. I think most people record their stay in these notebooks.
I frequently hike this mountain and frequently see the lean-to empty.
ecc