Moosilauke on March 17th, anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Despite having not one drop of Irish blood in my veins, I hope to be finishing the all-season 48 NH 4Ks this coming Saturday, March 17, on Moosilauke. I say "hope to" because, as some of you may know, it will also be my 66.9 of the 67, after I came within a half to a quarter mile of the summit of Redington last Saturday and chose to bail. :eek: I did my first 4K in 1975 and my first NH 4K in 1978 (I think :confused: ). So I guess I should finish sometime.

My plan is to hike the Glencliff Trail, leaving the trailhead around 8:30 or 8:45. The forecast as of now is for snow showers or snow with a high around 30 or so. I'll hike in the snow.

Anyone who'd like to join us, by any trail on the mountain, is most welcome.

I've got a trip to Sunday River planned (and paid for) so I'll have to wave from afar and wish you the best of luck and good weather!

MT,
Pat and I will be there unless it's raining! Genie has opted to spend the weekend with Grandpa (we're staying over in Lincoln and plan to ski Loon on Sunday with the grandchildren).

OK, we're starting to get weather warnings. Here's the scoop:

My intention is to do it. The storm track is fairly unpredictable right now, according to the NWS. It could be a biggie, or it could be nothing. If it looks like Saturday is going to be huge snow with hurricane force winds, then we may have to move this to Sunday. I'm not suicidal. But my plan is to deal with some weather if I have to, in order to do it Saturday if possible. Chacun à son hike! :D

I'll post here if things change. If there's no post, there's no change. OK?

It's all good

Either day works for me. The way I like hanging out on mountain tops, I'd choose the better weather day for my last of the 48, too. I'll keep checkin' in.

I would love to join you but other obligations here dictate my presense elsewhere. Hope the weather cooperates and you get your last peak in.

Congratulations!!!!!

Disappointed you can't make it, of course!

Don't congratulate me yet, I haven't actually done it. Some folks were congratulating me for the 67, then I went and screwed up Redington! :rolleyes:

But I'll be happy to accept congratulations after I do it, whenever that may be. :D

I plan to be there Saturday. Like MT, "some" weather is fine... In fact 4-6 inches of new snow is beautiful. But like MT again, I am not suicidal either. Wind will probablty be the key factor, if it's below say 40 mph I would go.

I am also not averse to turning back if it gets rough. I've turned back on this mountian before. At the end of the day, if I had a good hike and get home safely, I am happy. Bagging the summit is just gravy (or icing? ;-)

-Rick

I would really like to join you, as Glen Cliff is the trail that I maintain with Steve Martin under the auspices of the Dartmouth Outing Club. However, I must attend the Hockey East tournament at the Boston Garden this Friday and Saturday.

What you (and all of us) really need for Saturday (and until the Equinox) is a drop in temperatures, as the snowpack has drammatically deteriorated, even underneath well-packed trails, the past 48 hours with the warmth and temperature inversions aloft (40 degrees at 4000 ft on the Mt. Washington Auto Road on Tuesday night), not to mention the rain the past 24 hours (worth checking the MWO webpage tomorrow night).

Bring your largest snowshoes to stay afloat. My guess is that Beaver Brook Trail on the north side might be a little harder packed than Glen Cliff Trail, but that is only a guess, as I have not been on either trail this winter.

Good luck on my favorite peak in the Whites!

Mad Townie - as stated on our PM exchange, I was hoping to be there, but now it is certain that I cannot go :( . If you postpone until Sunday, I think I can make it, depending on the success of a system upgrade Saturday night.

Best of luck to ya!!!

Marty

Townie,

I have been planning to go, but this weather is really coming down as I write this in southern CT. I don't think I will be able to make it now! I'm very sorry. I was really looking forward to it. Best of luck!!! The Moose is the best!

Townie,

If your planning to hike on Sunday, I might be interested. Otherwise, if your planning to climb tomorrow, good luck and congrats to your accomplishment.

Peter....It was my hope to join you this weekend. However, once again the weather just isn"t cooperating. The snow is really coming down here in Connecticut. I can"t drive to N.H. tonight. Wishing you all the best.
Congrats in advance....Stay safe.

Mad T:

Good luck this weekend if you are still heading out there.....sounds like there will be lots of snow coming down in the Whites tonight and tomorrow. :eek:

Change In Day

HIKE ON SUNDAY!!

I just spoke with Peter (Townie) and he is moving this hike until Sunday. Same time, same place.

Hope you can join us!! :)