Pros and cons of convertible hiking pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they are a great idea conceptually. I merely stated that the few pairs I tried on had this problem... Probably any really good design that fits me well will cost me both legs, so I would not be able to wear the bottoms anyway ;-)

I do know that I prefer cycling shorts + leg (or knee) warmers, rather than a full tight. Keeps the options open. I will probably try on additional pants down the road.

So, if I may 'borrow' this thread for a minute--suppose you don't have an REI nearby (say in NH), and suppose you don't wish to drive to North Reading and pay sales tax, where else might one shop, in and around Manchester, besides EMS?

Thanks,
Tim

I have a pair of EMS convertibles that I have never worn on a hike. I wear them as regular pants, I just like the pockets. I always hike in shorts, both winter and summer. When it gets too cold for shorts (it must be really, really cold) I put on a pair of EMS wind pants that I also use as my ski pants. I only had to put on pants once this winter and that was on the Franconia Ridge. The Kinsman, Moosilauke, and the Wildcats I hiked in shorts.

bikehikeskifish said:
where else might one shop, in and around Manchester, besides EMS?
LL Bean in Nashua? Concord? We got your zippy pants.
...though I can never be sure what those Factory Stores are holding for inventory, I know we sell lots of those.
being a long time Beaner I am compelled to plug the biz wherever possible. :D

bikehikeskifish said:
Blech. I couldn't stand the zipper and covering rubbing on my knees.
Bought a pair. Put them on at home and sat down--the zipper seam rode over my knees. Took them back and got a pair with the zippers above the knee. Haven't 3-season hiked in anything else since...

So make sure the zippers are above your knees before buying.

Doug

bikehikeskifish said:
So, if I may 'borrow' this thread for a minute--suppose you don't have an REI nearby (say in NH), and suppose you don't wish to drive to North Reading and pay sales tax, where else might one shop, in and around Manchester, besides EMS?

Thanks,
Tim

I actually have found 6 or 7 pairs at Goodwill, at varying times.

I love them and don't even use regular hiking pants anymore, only the zips.

I even Nikwaxed a pair last year and they worked well for repelling water. They weren't waterproof, but did help a lot.

Keep in mind they can vary a lot in weight, some I have are 12 ounces, whereas others are 20 ounces, a huge difference.

Some also have only one rear pocket, or no tapered pockets, so definitely look for the ones with better features.

My most favorite pair is from LL Beans though, they have all the features and are actually the lightest.

Bean sells several styles in their own brand, and sometimes you can find Mountain Hardwear and other names as well. Occassionally you'll find them in the regualr pant racks for the regular price of $12.95 (or lower if there's a sale going on!!). I have several pair with the zips, most from LLBean, one North Face bought for a buck at a church sale in Wonalancet. Only in the dead of winter do I hike in anything else. I often unzip the legs for venting, too, and just leave them attached that way. Most of the ones I own are very easy to get on and off, lightweight and somewhat water repellent. Good luck finding something that works for ya'. :)

What Size Do You Wear?

I just remembered I have 2-3 pair of zips set aside I was going to list on Ebay. I don't know if they've ever been worn. can't recall the brands - Maybe Sierra Designs but they are good quality, water repellant etc. if you don't want to spend a lot .... they are probably smalls - let me know if you are interested.

Love them. I use them for hiking, backpacking, kayaking, biking, traveling, etc.

Stan said:
unless you can figure out a way to wear just the bottoms and not the tops :eek:

Ya' can use rubber bands to hold the tops up and the cuffs down an' use 'em as gaitors! :D

As to where you can get 'em in Manchester besides EMS, there's an LL Bean's right on So Willow and All Outdoors on Elm Street might have them too.

Carole,
I am pretty warm blooded and once the temp is above 45 I prefer shorts and gaiters to anything else. then, the only thing that is exposed are my knees.
However, I wanted to point out that I don't think it is the wearing of pants section of the convertibles that cause the shades, but the washing.

I had the same problem faded shorts and "like new" pant-legs, and decided that with every load of lights that my wife did, I would put the pant-legs in for over a month - I left them by the washer and they went through the whole cycle. After about 18 washings, they were close to the same shade as the shorts.- No more problem.

Carole: I have two pairs of convertibles and love them for their versatility. I would recommend getting the pair on which the zippers clearly mark which one is for the left leg versus right leg. I might be a zipper dyslexic but it just makes it easier to figure out quickly which leg goes to which side!

Obviously my most versatile pair of lower body clothing, April, May, Sept, Oct, & November + almost any summer day in the Presidentials carrying just the legs is a great way of carrying pants.

If I had to go out & buy gear all over again I'd have a pair of shorts, a pair of pants & three or four pair of convertibles. My Mom had issues with the Zipper but the EMS pants zip off above my knees so I'm okay with them.

Convertible hiking pants...

I just hate them- will never wear them, don't see the usefullness, for myself, in owning/wearing them. Well- that's my 2 cents. :p

I wear long pants all summer long. I am protected from sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy and brambles. :D The zippers that encircle ones tighs in those awfull pants are iritating. :mad:

Hiking skirt

Hi Carole,
I'm chiming in kinda late here; just found the post. I'm with Trail Biscuits. For summer backpacking trips I go with a hiking skirt made by Mountain Hardware and bring lightweight long underwear bottoms in case it's a cold morning. The bottoms I have are strechy enough to fit on over my shoes, which are trail runners. I do also carry a pair of rain pants for when it rains all day. That's what works for me. I love the skirt! It with the light silk bottoms are lighter than zip off pants. I also found I didn't like the length or feel of the zip offs, especially when stepping up. The skirt is very comfortable. It has a range of other advantages as well.
Early Bird

Last edited:
Mountain Hardware also makes hiking kilts, specifically for the guys out there who may not be so in touch with their feminine sides!! :p I have a rip-stop skirt that I love hiking in, but then again, I'm not a guy. :rolleyes:
MH also makes skorts, and i snapped one up for about 8 bucks when I worked at Bean in Manchester, but it was not flattering at all on me. Functionality is tops on my list, but i am pretty little and it made me look, umm, not so little!! :eek: