Adirondack Hundred Highest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
I have a question concerning the Adirondack 100 highest- do any of them have canisters or summit registers on them? Or benchmarks to find? Thanks to all the experts out there.

I believe that there was a concerted effort (around 2001 maybe?) to remove all the summit canisters in the Daks. It had something to do with compliance with wilderness area regs.

Officially, the ADK100 have no cannisters. There are the odd ones here and there with informal signs and cannisters.
Its been a tug of war between those who want to follow the ADK regs and remove them, and those who like reading the log books and want them there.

You may climb one and find no cannister, and then go back 6 months later and there's a sign or can that someone placed.

Adirondacks 100 highest

Thanks to all reponders. I thought that maybe some of the privately owned summits may have registers. I've heard of there being the odd glass jar on summits on some of the New England 100 highest and did know if I "had" to sign in in order for it "to count".
I remember the first time that I did the Dix Range I hadn't known about the registers, or taking down names and I blithely hiked right on past them as my attention was absorbed by the wonderful views.
anyway..I know that there will be some people who will say "so what" who cares about signing in to registers- you know that you've done it. Well, I guess that I do care.

I don't know about the ADK100, but the CAT100 seem to have tree stands on all the peaks! Avoid those in hunting season for sure...

Jay

Summmit Registers

JayH, the Catskills are off point- but to respond to your comment- there are not "tree Stands " on every peak- just on some of the "trailless" ones.

The same issues apply as to whether they should be there or not, as in the Adirondacks, has been a point argued back and forth for a number of years and so far, we've been able to keep them.

The 3500' club maintains a summit register only on Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday, Big Indian, Fir, Double Top, Sherill, No. Dome, SW Hunter, Vly and Bearpen, Halcott. I think that I got them all, but the point is that that these summit registers represent only a small fraction of the peaks on the 3500' club's list- never mind all the others peaks worth visiting both with and without trails.

Back in the early to mid 1990s, I put up canisters with humorous mountain cartoon cover booklets, jar front labels, and contact card on all the ADK 100 highest bushwhack peaks (extended list) except Sawtooth #1, which already had the ADK standard metal flip-top canister. I got a few replies from climbers saying that I made their day by finding a register on an otherwise tough and scrappy trip to a viewless summit.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same experience here. Some have/had a canister, most I go to now seem more likely to have a sign then anything. Some have nothing. Most have some indication that "you are there". be it a sign, cannister, or just a trampled down clearing (usually very small).

I'm kinda partial to not finding anything, but am pretty ambivalent to whatever is up there at this point. Outside a few of the gems that sport a surprisingly nice view, most of the ADK100 summits are really a secondary part of the journey, so you just take what you get.

I miss the cannisters on the 46er peaks. Get my fix on the Catskill trailless peaks and the ADK100ers with cannisters or the occasional "Crispo" jar.
Had the pleasure of recently reading some cannister comments going back to the 90's on one of the ADK100 peaks.

Peakbagr said:
Had the pleasure of recently reading some cannister comments going back to the 90's on one of the ADK100 peaks.

I don't often run into really old canisters these days (least in the daks), but for some odd reason, that quote reminds me of a something. I can't really go into great detail about it (to protect the guilty), but......

But has anyone ever climbed a mountain expecting to find a canister, only to find a canister with altogether different mountain name on it. :eek:

either because they were lost, or because it was put there on purpose :cool:

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
But has anyone ever climbed a mountain expecting to find a canister, only to find a canister with altogether different mountain name on it. :eek:

either because they were lost, or because it was put there on purpose :cool:

Yes our first try at Lost Pond Peak. We had taken the wrong fork in Indian Pass Brook! We came out on a bump with a sign bearing, "Klein's Peak."

Street and Nye, we had done it a couple of times. Thinking we were climbing Street and come out at the Nye Canister.

It was actually more funny than anything.

Skyclimber said:
Street and Nye, we had done it a couple of times. Thinking we were climbing Street and come out at the Nye Canister.

It was actually more funny than anything.

I did the same thing.

Klein's Peak?

Yes our first try at Lost Pond Peak. We had taken the wrong fork in Indian Pass Brook! We came out on a bump with a sign bearing, "Klein's Peak."

SkyClimber, do you know anything more about this "Klein's Peak" that you saw the sign for near Street?

[

The 3500' club maintains a summit register only on Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday, Big Indian, Fir, Double Top, Sherill, No. Dome, SW Hunter, Vly and Bearpen, Halcott. I think that I got them all, but the point is that that these summit registers represent only a small fraction of the peaks on the 3500' club's list- never mind all the others peaks worth visiting both with and without trails.[/QUOTE]

None for Bearpen, one on Rusk, 13 total.

I was just up on Avalanche and did not see a sign or a register. I had heard a few years ago there was but we were dumbfounded and could not find it. I am sure with all the hooplah it was removed! :mad:

Yeah, for Avalanche there was a definite patted down summit area. I actually enjoyed the few canisters I've found, especially when you look at the names in there and you know almost every single person that has ever signed in. And for the wondering about a canister from a different mountain being on a specific other mountain, I don't think that's funny. I think it is freakin' hilarious...What kind of jackalope would ever do such a thing?

It would be fun to make a cannister out of (conforming) birchbark and label it Mount Everest (using bio-degradable vegetable based ink) and put it up (using willow roots from dead and down willows) on Brown Pond Peak.

- Jack A. Lope

Hillman, Avalanche was one of the peaks SonnyM and I put up a register jar in Spring hard packed snow conditions circa 1993. When placing it (height), we had to take into account the depth of the snow we were standing on.

Interesting canister material description, Neil. It would just blend in and fade away with the environment. But why Brown Pond Peak? Is that one of your favorites?