Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stylin' on Moosilauke 3.18.07

Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top of Arrow Slide
    Thanks for a great hike Peter! I've been on some awesome hikes this winter (including with you on a very icy Owl's Head) but this was one of the best, and an epic battle to end the season with .

Thanks for all the good words, everyone. It certainly was a gas! Double Bow estimated the wind speed at 50-55, but I coulda sworn it was blowing about 90.

Sherp, at the very least you can be the Designated Driver for Redington--unless we want MEB to do it and get us about 5 miles farther in than the rest of us dare drive. I was so happy to hear about your skiing day on Sunday. It's a fine line between careful and crazy, and I wish you luck in walking (and skiing) it.
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie

Whew! what an adventure on Sunday. Townie, I'm glad to have been part of it.

Pix are here: http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community[/URL]

Does anyone else have photos? I'll be putting together the slide show.

Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar: Hiking brings people closer
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    Oh, a few things to add:
    1. The Mt. Washington Observatory reported -4 degrees F, with 66 MPH winds at the time we were on the summit cone...
    2. I am still on a 2 day "hiker high" from our experience. Can't get it out of my head. I think it is because the intensity of the hike and because we all fed off everyone else's positive emotions.
    3. In Mad Townie's picture #8, he identifies two "mystery figures". I was the one in blue. Can't quite make out who the other one was. Red was a popular color.
    Wow! I can't believe my 50-55mph wind estimate was "low-balling" it. Then again, I could believe it when I got blown off the trail and forced into a split hugging a cairn either! THAT was some wind!!

I too am still on a high from having such a great hike with such a great group. Even if my original plan for Jefferson had gone off without a hitch, it couldn't have been as enjoyable as this was. Thanks Townie for letting share your special day with you. Thank you eveyone else for sharing in this adventure and making it so much fun. I hope to see you all on the trail again real soon.

BTW, the other "mystery figure" in picture #8 was Brewster.
    "I like to collect experiences the way other people like to collect coins and stamps." Michael McGuire

"13.1 is my lucky number." -- Me

65/67 Winter NE4Ks [Been there, ROCKED IT!!]

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bow
    BTW, the other "mystery figure" in picture #8 was Brewster.

Thanks Ross for the hiker ID! I couldn't figure out for the life of me if that was one of us or a skier.

glencliff

nice hike..way to go mad townie..how about the glencliff trail..the best in the whites by far---thanks steven martin for all your work..

Congrats again MT. A memorable ending to your quest for the NH 48s. Enjoyed reading the trip report and great pictures as well. Had a grand time hiking with the group and can now put a face to many of the names seen on the VFTT posts. One hopes we will hike together again. All the best!

Split around the Cairn!

Double Bow - I saw when you did the split/hug of the cairn and I thought it was funny until I got blown off the trail not paying attention!

Ridgewalker - your Magic pic is now my laptop background...but it is having this sort of aweful calming effect...which isn't helping me in my crazy job!! Ahhh..so nice!

Funny, I ended up using one of Ridgewalker's pics on my work background too. All of those pics came out nice.. unlike mine which at 97% crap I go for quantity not quality apparently

PS

This is the first hike i haven't brought my camera on.. In a long time. My poor camera lives in my car and I carpooled up with Early Bird (10,000,000 thanks again!) and forgot it! D'oh! This would have made for a good thumbs up too hehe.

Congrats Townie!! So this certainly sounds to be the hike-o-hikes for the St Pat's weekend!! I thought the TR for the Owls Head was great and that RnR's compared it to this is insane -- the pictures just don't tell the whole story.

Epic hikes with celebration just don't happen every day. Seems there was magic all over the white this past w/end. Glad you all had such a grand time.

Ridgewalker - I especially like the Garden of Conifers. Nice job on the pics. Abster and the rest of you -- good job hauling the old guy up!!
    You only live once... but, if you do it right, once is enough!
    animus non integritatem sed facinus cupit
    "The heart wills not purity but adventure" (R J Waller, A Thousand Country Miles)

Peter,

We hope to be with you on Redington, having missed this one. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by marchowes
    All of those pics came out nice.. unlike mine which at 97% crap
    Marc, that's part of the secret. People used to say that a pro photog would be happy to get one decent shot out of a whole roll. It's one of the nice things about digital--you can take a zillion shots and not have to pay for all that celluloid! Just delete the bad ones. And we ALL take bad ones. In fact, I seem to be really good at that part!

Ridgewalker, the more I look at your pix, the more "the lone climber" affects me. It's a really beautiful shot!

Seems that we just missed BCBorder--saw a few skiers, but no boards before we headed back down.

BTW, folks, Redington's gonna have to wait. I only allow one "death march" per mountain, and it's already had its allotment! So I'll sit and watch the snow melt for a bit before I return (with what's starting to sound like quite a crew!). I think people just like to hike with me because of my high "epic" percentage!

Cabot in the rain in January, anyone?
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie

Ya, I remember once telling a far more more competent photographer than I "I figure about 1:200 pictures I take turn out to be good"

His response was "really? thats pretty good!"

Back last September when the weather was being very cooperative I was taking lots of good shots. Not so much this winter tho (sadly) Now I am down to about 1:800
    Last edited by marchowes; 03-21-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Congrats MT. Quite an accomplishment. This trail was serene and mystical, and in great shape. Lots of good energy from the crew (except for Marty who committed an unprovoked assault on one of the nice team members ) Got to spend much of the trip up with a fellow scout and assist with a snowshoe repair on the summit while awaiting the guest of honor. Great pics all!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpa
    Lots of good energy from the crew (except for Marty who committed an unprovoked assault on one of the nice team members )
    Thanks for opening up that wound, Mtnpa. And I was just telling Sapblatt what a great guy you were...

Yeah, I got my snowshoes crossed and fell backwards into Ridgewalker. We then both took the Nestea plunge into the snow. Marc saw we were having fun and did his own mock wipeout!

Sorry again about that, Ridgewalker!

By the way, my hiker high is now three days old. Hope it never ends!

Regards,
    Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985