Snow in NNN BC bindings.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Now I know why everybody seems to recommend 75mm bindings...

I took today off from work to go X-C skiing next door in Norvin Green S.F. (about 2 miles from my house) and this is the first X-C ski where I switched between my skis and my snowshoes as I started off skiing the Otter Hole trail around the perimeter of the forest to Weis Ecology Center.. Then I took my skis off and put on my snowshoes to huff up to Wyanokie High point and over Carris Hill and then down, at which I put my skis back on. However, a couple of the rocky hills, I would bare boot because of the rocks and log crossings. I've noticed that all this removal and putting back on, gets a ton of snow in the latch at which it sometimes makes it nigh impossible to clamp them down again, without using twigs, car keys, ski poles, etc. to get the snow/ice out.

Do you carry like a little can opener or perhaps a can of ice melt? Its really a PITA to have to go through with this whenever I take them off... :mad:

Other than that, an AWESOME day today, nobody else on the trails and it was warm with a little bit of wind.

Jay

Welcome Jay-
You are not alone. Make sure you bang the snow off each boot very thoroughly (I carry a swiss army knife to help) before stepping into each binding. It is usually the snow from the sole of your boot that sets in and turns ice-like as soon as you press your foot down.

It is very frustrating and is certainly cause for keeping your skis on as much as possible.

Rick

Jay, I've used the NNN-BC for quite a few years and I've found this procedure to usually work. Lay the skis down and tap your boot toe against the base plate right behind the binding itself. This will dislodge all of the snow in the pocket where the bar is on your boot. Then push the boot into the binding. If there is still a problem then you will need to push on the release button while cleaning out the groove. If you use the manual type binding they will automatically clean themselves when you open the release. The manual bindings cost only slightly more.

What can be more interesting is when the bindings freeze up while wearing them and trap your boot. It can be a real pain to take off your boot, then try to hop around on one ski while clearing the ice from the other.

For this and a few other reasons, I'm sticking with 75mm.

-dave-

I have a question I use the SNS profile on my Cross terrain skis and never ran in to this problem. Here is my question what is the difference between an SNS profile binding verse an NNN binding. Physicaly looking at the two I can see the difference but performance wise what is the difference.

Yes, I have the manual binding... I usually do hit the boot against the back plate of the binding, but I guess snow did still accumulate. It wasn't really cold enough yesterday for the snow to freeze while my boot was still in it though.

I would open and release the binding but the snow was packed enough not to fall out and I managed to use a twig to pry the little sucka out until it fell (took some time though).

I think I'm going to wax everything and spray the binding itself with some spray on cooking oil that I also use for snowshoes.

Jay

Well, went on another epic ski journey today up in Harriman and I think I have found a good procedure, did not have as many problems as I had wednesday. Go by a tree and kick the tree a couple times to dislodge any snow in the bar and use the snow bucket on my ski poles to pick the boots before putting it into the binding. I forgot to spray my bindings today with cooking spray but it seemed alot better today.

Jay