Canine hiking partners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pemi

Our hiking and skiing companion for 15 years has been Marlytuk's Pemi Spirit - Pemi for short. He's a purebred Siberian Husky (it's amazing how many people thinks he's a wolf.) Pemi has accompanied us on virtually every outdoor adventure. We observe so much more thanks to his acute hearing and sense of smell. Ladders, hot weather, and thin ice are the only things that put him off. Husky's like to run, so he's always on a lead, summer and winter. On one of the very few occasions we let him off-lead, (skiing behind Whitewall Mountain) he ran straight into a heard of moose! Lesson learned.

On Mt. Garfield:
3877b.jpg

At Flat Mountain Pond shelter, during an April fools ski trip to the summit of Mt. Whiteface. (Note the carved face in the shelter post.)
3777a.jpg

On a recent walk near Lake Ossipee:
P4020064a2.jpg

Last edited:
Pemi looks like the Ever Happy Camper! The first picture of him just gushes optimism, glee and good nature.

G.

I'll let una_dogger describe her wonderful Australian Shepherds, but I have the tech to post a pic of her with Orca (l) and Terra (r) :)

orca-terra-sabrina.jpg

Hmm...well I describe Terra as a Ferrari and Orca as an Edsel.

Terra is high energy, responsive, and fun to drive, who gets great fuel economy and will go for many miles without maintenance or repair.

Orca is less of a hiker and more of an exhibit from the Museum of Canine Orthopedic Abnormalities, and such, is worried that other hiker dogs may jump on him and hurt him and doesn't like hiking. This makes him a lovely lawn ornament.

una_dogger said:
Hmm...well I describe Terra as a Ferrari and Orca as an Edsel.

Terra is high energy, responsive, and fun to drive, who gets great fuel economy and will go for many miles without maintenance or repair.

That doesn't sound like a ferrari to me! They're not exactly great on the fuel economy or the maintenance or repair side... :) Maybe more of an MR2 or a Miata-like... :)

I'd hike with my tarantulas but their endurance isn't that great. ;)

Jay

evolvinghiker.jpg

Poor Bernie!!! :(
He evolved into a "walking museum of congenital orthopedic abnormalities" just like Orca! In fact, when he had his physical recently (age 2), he was introduced by my vet to one of his vet friends,using those exact words.
His max hiking ability if flat land, a few mini hills, and now up to 90", but that is really pushing it! On a positive note, he is always in a state of complete bliss. :D
Kodi, (on right) is very strong, likes to hike, but hates hiking in the summer. We can only go where there is lots of water. I took her on a backpack to Pharoah Lake Wilderness and I have a pic of her looking like she is going to the gallows with her doggie pack. Unfortunately it's not on my computer for all to enjoy. She doesn't like anything that might be interpreted as work! :eek:
Very nice pics of your hiking buddies. They are all most beautiful.

Last edited:
I am currently between hiker-dogs. It was with much sadness that I decided this winter to retire Dugan-3.8-legs from hiking at the tender age of 4 1/2.

He tore the cranial cruciate ligament in his right stifle over a year ago. We attempted treatment, then resorted to a surgical repair (TTA). Due to risks, complications, lengthy rehab, and other factors, I've decided against a second surgery. Little did I know that PoisonIvy's outing to Vose Spur last December would be his very last mountain hike. If I'd known, I'd've taken pictures. Even though he had some trouble with blowdowns, he loved the snow, and seeing all his friends.

But he still loves wallowing in stinky mud puddles!

Last edited:
This is my friend and hiking companion, Brutus, a 6yo Newfie, aka Brutie and the Brutasaur. This picture was taken a couple of years ago with Cath on the porch of Zealand Hut, the day of a rather 'exciting' trip over the Bonds.

Since our move to the Sierra, we still hike but mostly now on trails only.

1286929557044986489S425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited:
This is Howie (a male beagle) on Mount Colden (adirondack high peaks).

what great dogs you all have! i have 3 belgian sheepdogs. Cleo is 12, Izzy is 8 and shady Grove is 6. all are wonderful hikers. they love the people we hike with and there is always some doggy amusement to be had. we have a dog hiking group down here in lower hudson valley NY. sometimes we get 8-9 dogs ona hike. we have loads of fun. most of the hiking groups here do not allow dogs so i started my yahoo group, and we now have 800+ members. luckily they do not all hike at once. a bunch of us are coming to the whites in aug 2007, so hope to see u all on the trails.

Last edited:
banjolady said:
what great dogs you all have! i have 3 belgian sheepdogs. Cleo is 12, Izzy is 8 and shady Grove is 6. all are wonderful hikers. they love the people we hike with and there is always some doggy amusement to be had. we have a dog hiking group down here in lower hudson valley NY. sometimes we get 8-9 dogs ona hike. we have loads of fun. most of the hiking groups here do not allow dogs so i started my yahoo group, and we now have 800+ members. luckily they do not all hike at once. a bunch of us are coming to the whites in aug 2007, so hope to see u all on the trails.
Great picture, Susan. Happy, energized faces!

My Hiking Companion....

My hiking partner is Colden, he is a 2 year old Lab. Yes, he is named after the ADK peak.

Here is a link to a pic of us at the top of Mount Marshall. Hiking Partners

Enapai

Duffy is 10 years old. He's done the all season 100 highest (except Baxter) and has 30 of the winter 48. He was four years old when I got him from New England Airedale Rescue and had never been out the back yard. He lives to hike and is still going strong. If you want to see something that will break your heart you should see him when we go outside. He runs and sits at the back door of the car ready to go. He looks so disappointed if I call him off to go somewhere else. :)

Last edited:
Here's an exciting PS to my last post, at least for me. Just as I was closing down the computer after posting, I received an E-mail telling me that Duffy will probably be inducted into the national Airedale Rescue hall of fame. It will never happen to me so I live vicariously through my very special buddy. :D

My (hopefully) soon-to-be hiking dog is our almost two year old golden lab (also called Colden, for the peak). He hasn't gone on any high peaks hikes so far but that is my goal for tthis year. Since I'm new to the whole hiker-dog thing what words of advice do people have?

At the advice of our vets and friends here on the board who have been hiking with dogs for years, we waited until our Lab was about 18 months old before she started tackling steeper trails.
Starting out, begin with modest days and gradually work your dog's range.
Remember, they'll want to please and you may not seen signs of strain. Bring water and food for your dog. You might want to avoid really rocky terrain and trails until Colden's pads have toughened up. After being out often for the last year, Boo's pads are like a combination of leather and sandpaper.
Watch the warmer days. Dogs don't sweat, they stay cool through their tongue, and on hot Spring or Summer days, they can overheat.
Enjoy your canine companion.

Not everyone loves dogs. Be sure you teach Colden good trail manners. I carry a short leash across my shoulders like a bandolier. When we're on trail, I'll usually leash Boo and make her sit at heel just off to the side of the trail and let hikers pass. I also try to leash her if there are other dogs in the woods unless I'm sure they will make friends.
Labs are food hounds. My dog is a shameless beggar so I try and leash her to me or to a tree during lunch so she doesn't pester other hikers.
(I suffered a lapse this winter. Was hiking with Dick and he had his lunch in his hand and lowered his hand while standing there. Bookah was patiently waiting and when the hand went down, my dog naturally thought Dick was being kind and offering her his sausage...Natural though, eh, Dick? :p )

Alan