'The Great Range' - print by Nathan Farb ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
Nathan Farb did a poster called 'The Great Range', a few years back. It originally appeared in this first coffee table book. Its an Autumn view of the Great Range from one of the Brothers.

Its been sold out, but I was hoping someone here may have seen one or know of one for sale.
I've tried 'With Pipe and Book' in Lake Placid and with Nathan himself.
Maybe someone can help?

Thanks,
Alan

I Got It!

I have an autographed hardcover copy of Farb’s “Adirondacks” that I’m willing to part with. It has that 2-page spread with the fall Great Range photo. I’ll PM you regarding that. –Bob VH

I have the book also...wouldn't part with it though! Haven't seen the poster for a while either. Caught a presentation of Mr.Farb's at the HPIC, and chatted a bit. A really nice man, and just love his work.

Last edited:
One winter we ran into him at treeline on Algonquin. He horsed his big box camera up there. The negatives are 12" metal plates and he carried a few of them, plus the huge camera and big wooded tripod. Nathan said he places the unexposed film plates in the snow to keep them cold. A lot of work to take 3 or 4 images.

Yeah, he definately knows what he's looking for. He'll lug everything all night, set up, and wait for hours for the perfect light. Take a couple of perfect shots, and move on. I asked him if he takes any bad shots, and he said "sometimes, they're not always perfect, and I don't like to waste film."

I believe I have that very poster. It was given to my wife and I as a wedding gift. I have seen it in one or a couple of the shops in Placid. That was at least a year ago that I saw them so maybe they are all gone. Then again maybe I'm wrong all together and the poster I'm thinking of is not the one you are looking for. If it is I even seem to remember seeing it in a store in Old Forge.

Thanks for thinking about this, though. I was speaking with the owner of the book and poster shop in the center of L.P. a couple of months ago. He hasn't had it or seen it around L.P> for a few years. I'm hoping the post here will jog a memory and someone will remember one around someplace.

Thanks again,

Alan

I have it

Peakbagr said:
Thanks for thinking about this, though. I was speaking with the owner of the book and poster shop in the center of L.P. a couple of months ago. He hasn't had it or seen it around L.P> for a few years. I'm hoping the post here will jog a memory and someone will remember one around someplace.

Thanks again,

Alan

I have it on my wall. Want to make a copy?

Happy Trails!
Barb

Barb,

If you ever see the poster/print in any of the shops up that way, pls let me know.
I should have picked it up when it was easily available.

Alan

Peakbagr said:
Nathan Farb did a poster called 'The Great Range', Maybe someone can help?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan, i thought i had seen one recently at "The Mountaineer", on the wall in the book room.

Just checked with them. They have some Heilmann's and another Farb, but not the one I'm looking for.
Really appreciate the tip, though.

Alan

Last edited:
Alan,
I am very happy that you started this thread. Allow me to explain - - -
I thought I had the print you are looking for, but when I finally found it today, the name at the bottom is Carl Heilman II, and the title is "The High Peaks Wilderness". It's a gorgeous autumn panorama. I had actually forgotten about it. So I am glad you started this thread or it would still be rolled up in a box.

When I bought the poster in the late 90's in Lake Placid (With Pipe and Book), I had planned on finding a frame for it, but was unsuccessful. A few years ago, a custom frame store opened down the road from where I work. So now, after all these years, I will hopefully find a frame and hang the print in my gear room.

Sorry I wasn't able to help. But you may find it interesting that someone from West Virginia is also looking for the same Nathan Farb print. When I tried a Google search, one of the hits took me to ebay and the "Want it Now section.

Good luck with your search. And Happy Easter!

Rob

Hi Barb,

I spoke to him when I first posted this. He didn't have any. Said he could get out the negative and then make one, but doing it as a one time copy would a LOT of money.
Its not that the print so valuable, but I'm going to just get lucky and hope someone sees a copy hanging someplace and they are willing to sell it.

Thanks for the followup.

Alan

Any luck with the gift shop at the Adirondack Museum they have a fairly large selection of prints and poster. Also you may want to try Old Forge Hardware they too have prints and posters.