$125 for a trinkle at Lincoln Woods.......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to play devil's advocate....

Yes, I agree a $125 fine for urinating at a trailhead is absurd, but look at it this way:

What would the fine be if you did this in the parking lot at the mall, or at the supermarket, or at Storyland? It is still a public parking lot, a place where people congregate. There are still easily accessible bathrooms nearby. Is it more or less appropriate to pee in a parking lot for a hiking area versus a playground or an amusement park or your local post office?

I say if nobody is watching, fine, but you were "lucky" and a junior ranger was peeping you. Idealistically, people would always go off-trail, away from water sources, etc... Personally I think it is harmless as long as it doesn't visually offend anyone.

On the other hand, if you want to see what it looks like when MANY people disregard these rules in the same time, check out the starting area for the Boston Marathon. As soon as all the runners have left, one doesn't have to wonder why there are hundreds (if not thousands) of little yellow streams trickling down the pavement in the corrals. Yeesh! (But I can't complain because one of them was mine! I guess when in Rome...)

I guess the ranger hasn't watched many bike races or even road races that much... :eek:

Jay

cbcbd said:
Men in tights :D

I hope they kick some dirt over it after they're done...

At least $650 for trail maintenance there.......more if they wiggle them too much......a group of five might be considered doing it in public as well.........so be careful with a group tinkle....... :D

cbcbd said:
Men in tights :D

I hope they kick some dirt over it after they're done...

Watch the Tour de France coverage, the LIVE coverage in the morning, not the edited-for-the-fat-ass-American audience. Every now and then you'll catch them taking a leak while riding (always in the back, of course.) They get another rider to push them along so they can drop one leg. It's almost always a guarantee at the end of the 'parade' portion of the last day, before they enter Paris and the Champs Elysees, and the real race begins (After the victory lap by the team with the maillot jaune.) Often the leader of the race will drop back and take a "nature break", and occasionally riders will go "up the road" for one, but you'd better come back or you will be blacklisted and never allowed in a break again. It's also an unwritten rule that you cannot attack the leader while he's on his nature break (or has a flat or mechanical or anything like that.) Recall one year when Lance & Jan Ullrich were racing up Alpe d'Huez and Lance hit a fan, leaning out for a photo. Ullrich sat up and waited for Lance and the two went "mano-a-mano" to the top.

Sometimes the race leader will have EVERYBODY pull over and take a break...

Me, personally, I don't get the American aversion to nudity. It's OK to show people getting shot on network TV, but heaven forbid you take a leak where someone might see you, or see any T & A. Puritan influence, I guess. 'Tis a shame. We need more clothing-optional beaches in this world!

Tim

He urinated in plain view of the window of the ranger station, within steps of a heated outhouse. Civilized societies have laws against public urination because civilized people don't feel comfortable with it. Mats seems to be the only one who agrees.

forestgnome said:
He urinated in plain view of the window of the ranger station, within steps of a heated outhouse. Civilized societies have laws against public urination because civilized people don't feel comfortable with it. Mats seems to be the only one who agrees.
It's not just the nudity issue, there is also one of sanitation.

The reason they say to go off trail, and away from streams and ponds, is mostly for sanitation. The farther you are from a trail or water, the less likely it is what you leave behind will end up contaminating drinking water. The outhouses/bathrooms are an attempt to control the waste and remove it where it can be properly treated.

[mr anal no humor serious hat on]
we know he should have went in the outhouse, we are saying the fine was a bit much for the offense
[mr anal no humor serious hat off]

no harm in having a laugh about the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
giggy said:
[mr anal no humor serious hat on]
we know he should have went in the outhouse, we are saying the fine was a bit much for the offense
[mr anal no humor serious hat off]

Hey, hey . . . there is something you and I agree on giggy :D
If you saw the yellow snow/winter etiquette thread, you'd know that I am NOT a fan of having to see all the yellow snow trailside. I think it is common courtesy and good behavior to step away from the trail but I do agree with giggy (yeah!) that the fine was a bit much for the offense.

sli74

Can't those rangers find a more constructive way to spend their time? Like maybe dismantling cairns and obstructing herd paths on Owls Head...

marchowes said:
Whatever happened to Live free or Die?

Did the Ranger mistakenly think he was in Massachusetts? :) :rolleyes:
The way we Live Free in NH is by fining people from Mass, VT, NY, CT etc.

My property taxes are high and i'd rather they didn't go much higher. I truly appreciate the fines paid. Thanks. Every little bit helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.