Spring x-country skiing conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
Driving up on Friday for a couple days of hopefully skiing in the high peaks area. I've been checking the ASTC website but they haven't updated the site since Monday. Any recommendations on where I'll find good coverage on Saturday and Sunday this weekend ?

I'll be dropping my kids at Whiteface on Saturday, so any recent reports on the Whiteface toll road or Connery Pond trail ?

And Sunday looks like I'll be near the Loj, so how about the Marcy Dam truck trail ?

Any sections of the Jackrabbit trail that are still good ?

Thanks for any reports...

Bob

Marcy Dam truck road was covered but mushy on Sunday 3/25. Inexcusably, the South Meadow road had not been plowed and was impassable, even though the last snow was 8 days earlier. 4 wheel drive would not get you through, it had at least a foot of unconsolidated snow. Maybe by now it has been maintained? We also skied the abandoned Mr. Van trail back to the Loj from the truck road. That was an interesting session. Large, unbridged water crossings and areas of no snow.

You might try Jack Rabbit behind Pitchoff, or something else that's in the shade. Or Gulf Brook trail to Lost Pond?

TCD

The ASTC has updated their site, conditions sound encouraging.

Still no report on the Whiteface road though -- any updates ???

Adirondack Ski Touring Council:

http://www.lakeplacid.com/shared/whattodo/conditions-xc.cfm

My wife and I tried a couple flatter trails on this past Saturday with pretty mixed conditions. The Jackrabbit trail off Alstead Rd had good coverage but was mixed ice and slush. Coverage on Connery Pond trail was a little thinner but similar conditions. Definitely skiiable, but there are sections you need to take care on depending on how much you value your skis.

We drove up to the gate on the Whiteface Highway on Saturday also, and there's bare road as far as you can see. We didn't walk up at all to check out conditions further up.

Bob

We skiied the carriage rd. to Camp Santanoni on Saturday 3/31 and there was complete coverage and conditions were great. The snow was knee deep in the woods.
ecc

Thanks rdl

It's now on my favorites.

I have only visited your mountains twice. Once at Garnet Hill and surroundings last month, and a drive through many years ago. I'm excited to explore more in the future, especially if the mountains continue to harvest snow so well.