Skiing at Cannon (After Closing)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkierSteve

Reaction score
I was planning on skinning/skiing Cannon this Satruday. With all the recent snow I'm thinking the trails should be in decent shape for a while. Does anyone know if this is likely to raise any issues with the park personel or is any personel even likely to be around after closing? Thanks to all, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've skinned up and skied down in Oct, when no one was there. In April, there still may be staff around, and they may very well tell you to stop as they have in the past.

-dave-

Or they might not... on Saturday dozens of people were skiing on closed trails, and there was also a large group of hikers descending one of the ski trails. By and large, the staff ignored it all. I observed exactly one case of a skier on a closed trail getting a verbal reprimand (that patroller was giving a lesson to a couple of young children, which perhaps made him more likely to point out the existence of rules).

Trails were in very good shape by New England standards. Watch for ice on the connecting segment between the top of the base quad and the bottom of the summit quad.

After closing at night? Or after Cannon has closed for the winter?

If you're thinking about the later, I just heard on NHPR that Cannon and Sunapee are planning to remain an additional week due to the cold temps and snow cover.

I can't find a link to verify, but you might call if you do expect them to be closed.

jrichard said:
After closing at night? Or after Cannon has closed for the winter?

If you're thinking about the later, I just heard on NHPR that Cannon and Sunapee are planning to remain an additional week due to the cold temps and snow cover.

I can't find a link to verify, but you might call if you do expect them to be closed.

Sunapee extended to 4/15... it's on their web site. My wife and daughter went Saturday and my wife reports some of the best skiing ever... Cannon lists as closed on their web site.

Tim

I skied WV on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. It was by far the best three days of the entire season. I saw several people hiking up on Sunday, so if you want to ski for free, go to WV and hike up.

I thought if you hiked up it was legal to ski down any ski area that is on public land (most ski area land is leased from state / fed). Paying customers are buying a "lift ticket" not a ski ticket. Is Canon different because it is state owned?

- darren

In a different thread, I tried the "Lift Ticket" angle, and apparently they are now termed "Use Tickets".....

I would think if it were public land, it would be more likely to be allowed than Private Property.

darren said:
I thought if you hiked up it was legal to ski down any ski area that is on public land (most ski area land is leased from state / fed). Paying customers are buying a "lift ticket" not a ski ticket. Is Canon different because it is state owned?
This is not and has never been true. Every ski area on public land has its own lease and its own use policies. Most allow users to hike/skin up, some don't.

-dave-

OK, I decided to go directly to the source, I called Cannon and spoke with a staff member. Her response was that although the mountain is officially closed, they acknowledge that hikers and skiers use the area after it has closed for the season and that the staff will look the other way. They just won't encourage anyone to use the slopes.

Hey, that's cheating!

We're supposed to spend several weeks going back and forth, coming to a consensus, and then it being too late to ski. C'mon! :D

Boy, with a good snow dump coming Thursday, and the POTENTIAL for some sort of big snow next Monday, the ski areas might be going well into May, open or not!

Disclaimer....the possible Monday storm has another warmer, and much wetter possibility, but I figure I'd mention it anyways....

Even though I do kind of want spring now. :)

grouseking