Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stabilicer Quality Concerns

Stabilicer Quality Concerns

Spoke with a guy this weekend who had newer Stabilicers and his friend had older well used ones. Same hike together in the Whites and they were of similar height/ weight.
    He lost numerous screws off the bottom, his buddy none. They noticed the fact that that the older ones had the Vibram label on the sole, new ones had a "Stabilicer" label. Upon closer inspection the newer also had "Made in China" cast in the rubber.
    I had noticed this change in the label on the underside of the soles and wondered- so I guess this is the deal. This is not the first concern I have heard about newly purchased Stabilicers, but this has caused me to look closer as to what any differences might be. I have also noticed that the fit is slightly different between the "Vibram" and "Stabilicer" labeled models, with the fit being a bit larger and more sloppy on the newer type.

If you are seeking a new pair- take note on this difference as a few of the older ones are on shelves, especially on the extreme ends of the sizing. It might be better to look at retailers who have had them in stock for a few years and don't move a lot of stock. Like smaller sportsman shops or NorthCountry hardware/ everything stores.

I hate to drub on the Chinese manufacturers, but they are under so much pressure to reduce their wholesale prices that quality always suffers and lax government controls allow it to happen. 32 Degree North was also obviously looking to cut the overall cost that their consumer (us) demand.
    Last edited by Andrew; 04-10-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Maybe you do this anyway, but after every hike with Stableicers, you need to take a screwdriver and gently tighten all the screws. Be careful not to strip the hole. You'll be surprised how many are loose and it will save a lot of lost screws. When the screws no longer tighten well, you will start losing them regularly. At that point I would suggest putting in new screws which you set in place with gorilla glue. That will hold them forever, but be warned, it will be the last set of screws you put in. They are no longer replaceable.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Mine say Stablicer (bought them in Feb. I think) and so far I haven't noticed any problems (but after reading about the screws, I'm gonna check mine to make sure they aren't loose). I've only used mine in a few shorter hikes, but nonetheless so far so god.

The mfgr recommends users tighten the screws before use.

I used mine brand new without tightening and lost seven screws the first time out.

Now I tighten them and have lost only a couple.

I've read some people use silicone type glue on them and then screw a new screw in.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

dvbl
    Andrew, same thing happened to me this winter. I bought a pair of "Stabilicers" from Campmor. The text and picture on their website indicated that they had Vibram soles. When I received them, they didn't have vibram soles and they said "Made in China" on the sole. When I called Campmor their reply was, "Oops, we must have got a bad batch." So, I returned them for a refund (minus the S&H of course ), and I went to EMS and bought them there instead.

Inspect EVERYTHING when you buy it...labels, seems, rivets, zippers...

I have the older Vibram ones and I lose screws all the time - I know many who do, and many who do not...I seem to be a bit rougher on gear, particularly footwear than many.
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

I have the older stabilizer label, bought at Campmor this fall, and apart from the screws loosening up, with a couple falling out, I also had a problem with the velcro on the straps coming unstitched after a couple of uses. Rather than take them back, I stitched the ends of the velcro that were coming loose back. They had gotten iced up and began to tear loose when I pulled on the ends to get them off.

Quote Originally Posted by sapblatt
    I have the older Vibram ones and I lose screws all the time - I know many who do, and many who do not...I seem to be a bit rougher on gear, particularly footwear than many.
    I can attest to what Sapblatt says. We hiked Garfield together in January, wearing Stabilicers for the entire hike. He lost three screws. I lost none. I know he tightens his after every use, just like me. Guess he got a pair of lemons
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Una_dogger's experience was mine as well. Didn't know about the Mfgr's recommendations. Since I've started checking and tightening the screws after each use they've been OK, but I haven't used them all that much, either.

I've got the Vibram versions. Are the Chinese ones from "Stabilicer" or are they counterfeit rip-offs?
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie

I have Stablicer Sport editions if that means anything...no loose screws yet. I don't have velcro on mine - mine are rubber that stretch over my shoes.

I've been observing hundreds of uses/ and users of Stabilicers and all aspects of retightening, overtightening, etc for many years now.
    This really seems to be worse in the newer version.
    I'm going to contact 32 degree north and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Townie
    I've got the Vibram versions. Are the Chinese ones from "Stabilicer" or are they counterfeit rip-offs?
    I have looked at them at REI--I think the manufacturer (32North) is just trying to reduce production costs.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul
    I have looked at them at REI
    An outfit of that size is quite unlikely to be fooled by counterfeits--they know whom they're buying from. So just chalk my suspiciousness up to an occupational hazard.
    Mad Townie

Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary. - H. D. Thoreau

Easy trails, nice days and comfort are good, too. - M. Townie

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    I can attest to what Sapblatt says. We hiked Garfield together in January, wearing Stabilicers for the entire hike. He lost three screws. I lost none. I know he tightens his after every use, just like me. Guess he got a pair of lemons
    Or he is unbelievably lazy and drags his feet through the entire 15 mile hike...
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

I lost a screw the first time I used mine on a 12 mile trek. Afterwards I tightened the rest up and haven't had any problems since. I have a little over 125 miles on them, so the more pressing concern it the incredible wear on the screws. Don't know how old mine are. I got them on eBay off season for like 12$

I have hiked with others who were "breaking theirs in" for the first time and they had screws on the verge of popping out after only an hour or so. Dont know if it was a quality issue or a tightening issue.

My advice: Tighten them up out of the box