Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stabilicer Quality Concerns

Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant Mt.
    Okay, I exchanged my screwless ones for a new pair, and did some pre-tightening, as suggested by Una Dogger. I walked a few miles in them descending the Pine Bend Brook Trail off of North Tripyramid on Sunday and they performed well. Not a single screw came loose this time. There was consistent snow for a while, until the section of trail that descends off the ridge, out of the boreal forest and down through a ravine. There was a combo of snow, rock and a little ice all through there. Once off the steep section I removed the Stablicers, just a little before I reached the Sandwich Wilderness sign. I'll reserve final judgement until I use them again a few more times, but I'm happier with them than a week ago at least. Maybe my first pair was kind of a fluke.

Matt
    "...a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Red, White and Blue
    FWIW: Last Saturday I attempted Vose Spur with my sister, McRat and Steve. We all wore our stabilicers for the same amount of time (except Steve who had his off for a bit longer.) I lost 2 screws. My Sister lost none. McRat lost 7 (or possibly more), and I don't know if Steve lost any. My sister and I were wearing the "Made In China" pair, McRat had the older "Vibram" ones. So from this I take....it does not matter if they are Vibram or "Made In China", they are going to lose screws without some minor attention.

Brian
    Adopter: Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt.16 to Wildcat "D". If you have any issues please contact me!

I have had mixed results with two pair of Stabilicers over the past few years, but just ordered some Katoola Microspikes, so will compare. Acquired my first pair of prototype Stabilicers about 15 year ago for working on lake ice in the Arctic, for which I think they are better suited.

There's a New Screw in Town

These aren't for Stabilicers per se, but may be of interest to screwboot fanatics.

On the left is a Kold Kutter motorcycle ice racing screw, the old standard for disciples of the 1st Church Of Screwbootery. In the middle is the required screw for ice racing in Canada, the "Super Trac" (made by Holiday), which is .283" tall, compared to the Kold Kutter at .191". On the right is the Super Trac screw with a piece of tungsten carbide silver soldered to it and ground to a point (a crude prototype). The shank of the Super Trac is .215" compared to the Kold Kutter at .165", which hopefully will translate into less screw loss. Oh the possibilities!

I just got the Super Trac screws yesterday, but I hope to make a full set of carbide-tipped screwboots soon and will give them a good thrashing to see if the tips hold up. Properly brazed silver soldered joints are stronger than the materials they join, so I am hoping this will work.

The Super Tracs are a little hard to find, I found them on Ebay through All Sport Performance

One more screwy idea and I'll shut up. OK, make that three

Stabilicers would seem to be an ideal platform to experiment with carbide tipped snowmobile racing studs like these, as you could install them from the top, through the sole of the Stabilicer, and thread a locknut on.

I am guessing that if the length of the threads and overall height were right, you would end up with a Hot-Rodded Stabilicer that gives awesome traction and durability with no possibility of stud loss.

Also, I just found a page on Trail Grabbers, which have small carbide chips and are shown on...Stabilicers! $1 each, though....ouch!

Another possible candidate is the Klymaxx Track Lug Stud. I couldn't resist...I ordered a set of the 3/4" ones and will report back next week
    Last edited by Tim Seaver; 11-21-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by mcorsar
    I think I may get the prize for most screws loose. I just tried a new pair today descending Panther Mt. in the Catskills. A couple of inches of snow, probably less than four miles of walking. One of the things lost every one of the 17 cleats, the other managed to hold onto 6 of 17. So 28 cleats lost over 4 miles; the average is 7 cleats lost per mile!
    Sorry you don't get the prize. I was with the guy Andrew was originally talking about. He lost 12 screws in less than a mile. His stabilizers were brand new the day before so it was a first time use. I have been using the Vibram Stabilizer for 4 years with hundreds of miles on them and a lot of that mileage is on very rocky terrain. I have never tightened them, until this week, and have never lost a screw. When I tightened them this week a quarter turn or less snugged them up.

We did notice that the good Vibram has an yellow oval Vibram label on the bottom whereas the cheap stabilizer has sort of a quarter moon yellow label that can be mistaken for the Vibram label if you are not paying attention. There is also a made in china stamp that is pressed into the base material, is black and very difficult to see. There is a noticeable weight difference too. The straps look the same on both pairs.

The guy who lost the 12 screws brought them back to EMS monday and got a refund, no questions asked.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kerry13
    Sorry you don't get the prize.
    I can even beat that. On my first hike with a new pair of stabilicers, I lost 29 of 34 screws. That was even after pre-tightening them! Most of them were lost on the ascent, so I was not very happy coming down the mountain.

Matt, Thanks for the heads up! I am hope the great customer service helped...

I hiked Cardigan a few weeks ago with new snow and ice on the trail. The stabilicers worked well on the trail going up. On the way down traction became worse. The next day I noticed that almost all of the screws came out. I recently contacted the manufacturer in Maine. This is their response:

"We at Stabilicers have run into a bit of a snag with the quality of our metal cleats that we use in our original Stabilicers. We have experienced a problem with the cleats coming out too easily under heavy use. If anyone has any problems with their cleats coming out on the first or second time of use please call 1-800-782-2423 and we will mail you out a fresh new pack of 50 cleats to replace the cleats in your product. The problem we found is the shank on the cleats is a bit too short and there are not enough threads on them as well.

We have identified the inventory that has the problem cleats in them and have corrected the problem on any shipments as of 11/26/2007.

We apologize for any problems this may have created. We intend to supply nothing but the best quality ice traction products available.
    Sincerely,
    Dan Theberge
    32north Corporation
    6 Arctic Circle
    Biddeford, Maine 04005
    1-800-782-2423

I received free replacement screws within 2 days of contacting them. Great customer service. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kevinmac; 11-29-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmac
    I hiked Cardigan a few weeks ago with new snow and ice on the trail. The stabilicers worked well on the trail going up. On the way down traction became worse. The next day I noticed that almost all of the screws came out. I recently contacted the manufacturer in Maine. This is their response:

"We at Stabilicers have run into a bit of a snag with the quality of our metal cleats that we use in our original Stabilicers. We have experienced a problem with the cleats coming out too easily under heavy use. If anyone has any problems with their cleats coming out on the first or second time of use please call 1-800-782-2423 and we will mail you out a fresh new pack of 50 cleats to replace the cleats in your product. The problem we found is the shank on the cleats is a bit too short and there are not enough threads on them as well.

We have identified the inventory that has the problem cleats in them and have corrected the problem on any shipments as of 11/26/2007.

We apologize for any problems this may have created. We intend to supply nothing but the best quality ice traction products available.
    Sincerely,
    Dan Theberge
    32north Corporation
    6 Arctic Circle
    Biddeford, Maine 04005
    1-800-782-2423

I received free replacement screws within 2 days of contacting them. Great customer service. Hope this helps.
    Thanks very much for posting. This really clarifies the problem and restores my confidence in the manufacturer.

Matt
    "...a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmac

Sincerely,
    Dan Theberge
    32north Corporation
    6 Arctic Circle
    Biddeford, Maine 04005
    1-800-782-2423

FYI- this weekend on a hike to North Twin I lost all but 1 cleat off both feet!

I emailed 32 North and they sent me a similar email. Hope this works, but I bought the Microspikes just in case. I fell a couple of times and banged my knee pretty good and don't want that to happen again. My first version Stabilicers seem to have been made more sturdy- I let them know that as well.
    Eric

"Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home." John Muir

"If you save your breath, I feel a man like you could manage it." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

All Hiking pix Can be seen here

Racetwitch.com- a worldwide resource for endurance athletes