TBTS Hike 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
I know this was discussed a while back but I don't recall any decision on where to hike this year. (and since the NE/ADK split, the only way to find it is via search)

Are we looking at another Presidential Traverse or another long distance hike for a wonderful cause?

I'm game for another Presi-traverse although some other options might include; (somewhat bias by my personal peakbagging lists)

Kinsman Ridge Traverse from 112 to Cannon or the other way
Carter's Traverse (allows options of skipping Wildcat's adding Shelbourne Moriah close to group dinner in Gorham)
Pemi Traverse - thinking 112 to Zealand but other options doable
Franconia Traverse - Skookumchuck to Lincoln Woods

Actually, it's not in either the NY or NE forum, it's in the Trip and Events section:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15547

Jay's latest update on the last page:

OK folks, I'll be honest with you all, been kind of lethargic on the planning for this but I am hopefully getting my act together soon. I've been so busy with my house renovation and many things going on.. But I'm thinking this event isn't going to be as hard as the previous years while I continue to ponder the logistics of a Great Range traverse in the ADKs...

I'm thinking of some peaks in VT, perhaps not in the traditional summer solstice timeframe but more like the fall. This will be pretty, will also allow everybody's summertime plans to be done and gone and I think we'll be fun.

I'm either thinking Abraham/Ellen on the Long Trail or Camel's Hump and Mansfield further north, dates are flexible now, but sometime in the fall would be nice I think and it will be a change of pace from the traverses we have done and would attract folks still looking at the VT peaks on the NE115 and those that perhaps didn't get to do them at the VT gathering, etc. etc.

Jay

Thanks PG, I'll weigh in over there for thoughts on the TBTS hike. Anyone have any plans for some type of hike the Saturday before Father's Day if the TBTS hike is going to be in the fall, which is usually around the Gathering.

If I only had one car, I'd probably look at a Twins, Zealand & Hale loop descending the Old Fire Wardens trail but with multiple cars, one of the traverses I mentioned or maybe up Castle Ravine & down either a trail on the other side of Madison or someplace else on Rt. 16. (I'd be open to Adams/Madison or head south & do Jefferson/Washington, maybe Isolation too???)

Mike P. said:
Thanks PG, I'll weigh in over there for thoughts on the TBTS hike. Anyone have any plans for some type of hike the Saturday before Father's Day if the TBTS hike is going to be in the fall, which is usually around the Gathering.

If I only had one car, I'd probably look at a Twins, Zealand & Hale loop descending the Old Fire Wardens trail but with multiple cars, one of the traverses I mentioned or maybe up Castle Ravine & down either a trail on the other side of Madison or someplace else on Rt. 16. (I'd be open to Adams/Madison or head south & do Jefferson/Washington, maybe Isolation too???)

I am tossing around a tentative plan to do a "cross-Pemi" Traverse during the middle of June. I am thinking 2 groups headed in opposite directions, with a key exchange in the middle. So, meet Friday night, exchange cars. One group drives to Lincoln Woods and the other group to the trailhead for the Gale River trail. Hike in opposite directions over the Bonds and Twins, exchanging keys along the way and back to the cars and home.

I ran this by a friend who hikes faster than me and she is interested pending finding her a couple of others to hike with heading South. That is my idea for this years June time "adventure".

As far as the TBTS hike, I think Jay will be planning that as we get into the summer.

sli74

Sli74,

Quite doable, we did it a few years ago with Zealand & Lincoln Woods with the key swap. We swapped keys back after the hike not before, before is preferable as long as you remember to take your boots out of your car. :eek:

It rained almost all day (except when we were considering doing a different hike) & some pictures I think still exist on Dave's website, pre-chicken hat :D

Hi Mike, our last TBTS hike was the presidential traverse and we had a good turnout and decent fundraising. Not as much as I had hoped but because of the timeframe and I believe father's day, it was kind of a tight-odd schedule. I just like to vary the locations having had it twice in the catskills and once in the White (presies), I considered the Pemis and such and still have that in mind but I thought VT would be fun and there was the VT gathering and thinking it would be a change of place for me and many folks. I haven't hiked much in VT, other than parts of the Long Trail (no peaks involved) and having done Equinox in winter....

I like the idea of Camel's Hump and stuff but don't know the area at all, having not made the VT gathering nor having been there and I'm not a downhill skier.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents, could and would welcome any and all help on the fall hike though as far as ideas for camping and/or lodging in the area...

Jay