Wedding Bells - An Invitation!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
A little over 2 years ago, Laurie and I went hiking together for our first date. We were heading to Colden on a beautiful, but cold (-10F) day. When we were nearing Marcy Dam, we heard birds chirping in the trees. When we stopped, they came closer and closer. I suggested to Laurie that she try to feed one and I would take her picture. It was the first picture I ever took of her:

bird.jpg

We made it to the top and enjoyed the summit. But something stuck in Laurie's mind that day, the image of a winged messenger, an angel perhaps? A sign that this was a match made in heaven.

2 years later, we've done a LOT of hiking together and a lot of other things as well. We both love the Adirondacks, and we thought of a way to get married on a summit that would still allow us to invite friends and family who are not hikers.

So, yes I said it:

You are all cordially invited to the wedding of

Tom Rankin and Laurie Moore

Saturday, June 23rd, at Noon

On the summit of Whiteface Mountain!

wf.jpg

(This post sort of looks like our wedding invitation)

Drive, ski, bike, run, hike, helicopter in, but show up at Noon! :D If you are driving, identify yourself as being part of the wedding, and they are supposed to give you a discount at the toll gate.

Dress is casual.

The ceremony will be fairly short, we promise! :D

(A private reception will follow for family members. In case of really bad weather, we'll go to Plan 'B'.)

If you're planning to show up, please let us know!

Congratulations!....Would love to be there...will have to wait until it gets closer...can I get a v@B hike on the way?

WOW !!! Fantastic news for you, Tom, congratulations ! My condolences to the Laurie, however ! :eek: ;) ;) ;)

We leave for WY at 4am on the 24th, but I think I may have to join you both there for the ceremony. Let me confirm.

How many Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA's does it take to calm a Groom these days ?

Congratulations, you two!

How wonderful! And you met on a hike......... :)

I'm a sappy romantic, so you'll just have to "read" that into my joyful post!
So hard to get emotions across on the internet, but I am so very
happy for the both of you!

I hope that MichaelJ and I can be there to share in the joy of your wedding day !

:p
<insert happy dance here>
:p

-Sabrina

Edited to add: He's checked the calendar, and we are coming!

Last edited:
I'm planning on it. Maybe we can toast the bride and groom from the deck of the Lake Placid Brew Pub afterward. Anyone else interested in a post-ceremony get together?

Woo-hoo! Congratulations!!! Ja, I do believe we'll be there and I'll have my fingers crossed for good weather and good times. :)

Wow! I think I still need WF as a bwhack, I think I'll go up that slide we went down. Hey, why don't the 2 of you come with me? Imagine bushwhacking to your own wedding and then coming up the slide while everyone cheers you on.

I promise we'll get there on time.

That is really awesome! Good fer the two of you! Great place to get married. Wish you two the best.

Amazing Tom! Congrats!
Couldn't have picked a better spot either.

Those 90 minute IPA's are good, but I'm thinking a custom labeled homebrew commemorating the event is in order. I call it.

btw. 120 min ipa is way too sweet. just can't do it.

Wow! Congrats Tom and Laurie! I'll try and make it and will bring a date, even though I don't need Whiteface...... at least not in summer, lol! :D

What a wonderful tale! Congratulations! I wish you both the best. Too bad there is not a little heart icon or cupid smilie I could add to this.

Congratulations Tom, I will be there. Lets me know if you want to have
one very good bottle of home made Italian wine.

Rejean. :)

Congrats. I'd like to make it, but it's a trailwork day. I couldn't convince you to change the location to a certain muddy spot on the Elk Lake-Dix trail. We could place a large rock in the middle of the mud, for the bride and groom to stand on.

Woody48 said:
Congratulations! I wish I was going to be able to hike up Whiteface that day. I'll be hiking over on the left coast at that time.

Woody

Ditto!! :D

I would gladly join you two on your special day and it would be a good excuse for me to finally visit the 'dacks, but the call of the west is too strong (plus I already bought my plane tickets). :cool:

FWIW, I think you should go with Neil's idea. From what I remember of our Mendon climb, 'whacking to your wedding would be a good test! ;)

Seriously though, congratulations and all the best.

Thanks all! :D

David - you can do any peak, then hit either LPPB or Great Adirondack, both in Lake Placid.

Chip - Red Square!!! :eek: :D

Sabrina/Michael - Ok, great.

Rejean - Sure! :D

Pete - We'll keep that rock in mind in case of deluge! :eek:

Alan - After the reception, we might be a little busy! :D We could still consider dropping by LPPB, no promises...

I'll be there!
I also will brew a special something for the occasion. I'll try for a double batch, so around 100 bottles. Tom, name your favorite type of brew and send me a source pic of you and the lucky lady for the label and I'll get started.

How good an introduction to the adirondacks is this? awesome.

congrats again!