Mother of all nor'easters coming?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is GREAT - easily one of the most beautiful streak of April snowstorms I can remember. Great time to be out in the mountains - snow plastered trees, warm temps, and long days! Enjoy it while it lasts :)
MansfieldChinApril11_2007.jpg

April 11 2007 Mount Mansfield

Here's a view from the top of S. Pack Monadnock from noon today. Heavy snow and 40 mph winds. Picnic anyone?

Selected Snowfall amts

There aer some snowfall amounts across New York and New England that are beginning to impress me, and we haven't really started this storm, esp across northern NH.
NH
Pinkham has 8, Crawford Purchase 11, the Kanc pass has 9.5, Lost River 8.5. Also, New London has picked up 9 inches and Sunapee has had 8 inches with trees down. All these amounts are at places over 1000 feet so the elevation really is playing a key role.

VT
Wheelock 8, Eden 8, Mount Holly 10, South Woodstock 9.5, Andover 11, and Warren 17!!! Again, elevation.

NY
Caroga Lake 10.5, Wells 10, Middle Grove 13.8, Bakers Mills 11, Richmondville 7

With only about 1/2 the bad part of the storm being over, these amounts will continue to pile up, esp in the higher elevations. If you live in these areas, take it easy tonight and tomorrow.

grouseking

Conway area started to see rain around noon Sunday, changing to snow around 1:00pm. Took a moose cruise on the Kancamagus where it was snowing heavily with a half-foot up by the pass by 5:00pm. No moose, but I did see a snowshoe hare. :)

By midnight, precip changed to sweet rain in Madison, and at this time it's still raining hard. Yes :D There's about 2" of slush on the ground as a result.

It's pouring like crazy here in good ol' Topsham, ME, and melting what snow was still on the ground. Pretty windy too... I can only imagine that this precipitation is translating into lots of snow at the right elevations in the mountains! Wow...

forestgnome said:
Conway area started to see rain around noon Sunday, changing to snow around 1:00pm. Took a moose cruise on the Kancamagus where it was snowing heavily with a half-foot up by the pass by 5:00pm. No moose, but I did see a snowshoe hare. :)

By midnight, precip changed to sweet rain in Madison, and at this time it's still raining hard. Yes :D There's about 2" of slush on the ground as a result.
Just about the same in nearby Tamworth - rain to snow to sleet last night, to rain, now its starting to mix with sleet again.

Down here at sea level the rain has been pouring down for over 24 hours now, usually at a pretty good clip. There are all kinds of floods and warnings, and the basement of the apartment building I live in is being pumped out right now. Good thing I'm on the 2nd floor! :eek: :D

Just HIGH winds and some rain here in the upper valley. Trees down, lines down, power down. Sustained winds over 40 mph. No snow though. Some slushy stuff yesterday, but the rain pretty much decimated that.

Mt Holly 10

Wow, we're not far due west of there at all, but much lower in elevation, and it was barely a coating of slush/sleet/snow yesterday and is all pouring rain here now. It'll be interesting to see tomorrow morning what happened up there.

It's been raining here for the last 24 hours, dreary Sunday yesterday and I don't see much improvement in the clouds. However it's a lovely day to read a book or write.

yeah, the weather sucks outside

one of the benefits of crossing the border to work in Mass. is the three day weekend no one else has, but its not being spent outdoors as planned!

MichaelJ said:
Wow, we're not far due west of there at all, but much lower in elevation, and it was barely a coating of slush/sleet/snow yesterday and is all pouring rain here now. It'll be interesting to see tomorrow morning what happened up there.

Elevation is such a major factor with this. We had barely an inch of sleet/snow slush yesterday at 600 feet but when I took a walk up a hill wiht an elevation of 1100 feet there was 6-7 inches! So I'm assuming that most of the amounts that I listed are very elevation driven.

At least a foot of real heavy wet snow here in central New York. It's so dense that it just keeps packing, but there's still over a foot deep. My white pine is listing to starboard and threatening to take out the fence.

I'm grateful for snow days :D

Over in WNY we are just experiencing more gloomy weather! The planned trip to Tuckerman's this weekend is probably going to be nixed due to snow/avy conditions.

Today's report from Mt Washington Center:
At Hermit Lake we received 13.4" (34 cm) of snow at our snowplot with a density of 18.5%. The new snow is an exaggerated example of an upside down snowpack with light density snow underneath and heavy snow and mixed precipitation on top.
There are interesting pictures showing conditions from a couple weeks ago. This is link to the Huntington Ravine picture page. Look at Pinnacle pictures from 4-11 and 3-27. The ice has grown!

arghman said:
it's another @#%@#% flood for the Piscataquog R in southern NH.
the USGS gage station here is showing 11.52 ft (2 1/2 ft above flood stage) which is the 4th highest ever (last year's flood crested at 12.55ft, #1 and #2 were floods in the 1930's) and it still hasn't crested today yet :eek:

Yup, they closed Henry Bridge Road sometime this afternoon (I was able to drive over it this morning headed to work, but it was closed on the return drive.) We had to go through the center of town where a number of gawkers, and a mobile unit from WMUR, were watching the river from the waterfront.

Brian