Gunstock 4/14/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
In sharp contrast to that hellacious Lowell-Anderson-Duck Pond report I just read, some of us had a most mellow time on the sunny slopes of Gunstock. Sherpa Kroto, Hillwalker, BoB, Pat, Audrey, and wonder Lab Genie met at the Gunstock ski area, donned our backcountry skis, and started slogging. Hillwalker left the rest of us behind in no time - he had to, since he must train for his future AT thru-hike. Genie also decided we were way too slow and joined forces with Tom.

Within a couple of hours, we had all straggled to the summit building deck, joined by other like-minded skiers and boarders and doggies.

Only one accident - Genie, fascinated by a snowboard, got in the way and sustained some gashes to her leg. She's fine today and has probably learned a valuable lesson.

Given our light equipment and the deep sloppy snow, it was an enormous challenge to try to make any decent downhill turns: we could only manage some huge arcing sweeps and mostly opted for straightlining. Tom discovered that conditions were faster in the shade and ended up on his fanny a couple of times, as did most of us. Sherpa's one fall scared us all, but he was fine and said he was glad to get it out of the way.

With some bottles of Tuck's to restore us, we reflected on our very fine day. You all can relax, Sherpa's on his way back from the abyss!

Pics are here:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/558668402FUOfMm

Great report and pix Audrey. Looked like lotsa fun!

I notice that Sherpa K was wearing the same shirt there that he later wore to the FTFC Annual Meeting :eek: Glad he sat with Bob in the auditorium ;) :p

Marty

Last edited:
Nice day - great company

Wow, what a wonderful day. It's hard to believe that now, looking out the window with the snow falling hard, that yesterday was even in the same universe.

Great to have spent the day with you all, and to see Sherpa back out in the world of fresh air and mountains.

Still looking for trail work volunteers......

Hi Laurie :D

Yes, a fine day indeed. Walked away with only a stiff shoulder. Was so sweet slowly skinning up to the summit, sun poking out often enough to get a nice tan, tunes on the headphones, wind in my face. Strange day as the higher we went, the better the weather got. It was so good to be able to do this with good friends, and have the weather and views to add to the day. If the snow had been a td better (plenty of it, but way soft), it would have been perfect. No, wait a minute: it was perfect :D

But, now back to reality. My Sox Monster Seat tickets are sitting there at the will-call while I pump out the basement.

Last edited:
marty said:
I notice that Sherpa K was wearing the shame shirt there that he later wore to the FTFC Annual Meeting :eek: Glad he sat with Bob in the auditorium ;) :p
Yeah, but guess who sat right next to them?? :eek: :rolleyes: :p

audrey said:
Only one accident - Genie, fascinated by a snowboard, got in the way and sustained some gashes to her leg. She's fine today and has probably learned a valuable lesson.
Ouch!!! I was so sorry to hear Genie got hit by the snowboarder!

Last edited:
I told Cooper his "Massachusettes" buddy got nicked and he did a head cock...

I think that's good, or at least concerned... if not cute!! Good to hear she's fine and you had a great day out. :cool:

SherpaKroto said:
My Sox Monster Seat tickets are sitting there at the will-call while I pump out the basement.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!

Great to see you all getting out in the snow, particularly one of you. :)

I was stuck up north in this:
lj01a.jpg

lj11a.jpg

Sherpa, you're going to lose all of your karma points if those monster seat tickets go to waste today. :eek:

-dave-

Karma Chameleon

Karma points secured. Pumped out the basement, got a new surface pump, called my son, and off we went. Made it to the game for the top of the 2nd (it was 6-1 by then). Andrew (son) came within 2 feet of catching that Angels HR in the 9th Near Catch (Watch to the end. I'm in the Blue, Andrew is in the Brown). Ok, riddle me this, how can they run out of Monster Burgers by the 4th inning of the 3rd home game? It's not like they have a huge menu :rolleyes:

Now back to pumping...

Last edited:
awesome day with good friends, that's what really made it so good...

Are you the guy who jumped up, missed the ball, then grabbed your leg in pain? :D

We never learn, do we? :D I've been re-straining my elbow quite a few times recently! :eek:

SherpaKroto said:
Ok, riddle me this, how can they run out of Monster Burgers by the 4th inning of the 3rd home game? It's not like they have a huge menu :rolleyes: ...

It's part of the nw marketing plan. If you only stock two innings worth of burgers you will sell more sushi.

BoB, you're looking really cute...

Okay, you're all looking really cute...nice pictures. Glad you all had a good time. Glad to hear Genie is well.

Wow! Metsky...is that really you? You ski as great as I do...yea, then I woke up. :p

Who is this Donna that keeps posting? I vaguely remember somebody by that name that USED to hike with us...

Bob said:
Who is this Donna that keeps posting? I vaguely remember somebody by that name that USED to hike with us...

That's just her screen name. No one knows who she really is...

Shepa....good to hear your having fun.....I truly enjoyed winning that beer from last years Yanks/Sox wager....I'm not saying I enjoyed drinking that beer (Sam Adams) How about another wager?....Same as last year....who ever goes the furthest...

I hope I just didn't jinx myself :confused: