Mount Cardigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Does any one have any advice or suggestions for hiking up Cardigan? I am looking for an 'easier' hike to work my foot back into hiking shape.
If it is too short I may try for Welch Dickey on the way home too.
Hum, guess I am working on the 52 With a View... :eek:

There are worse things in life than hiking lists :rolleyes:

chinooktrail said:
There are worse things in life than hiking lists :rolleyes:
Yes indeed...this is true.
How about Clark /Cathedral Forest trail on Mt. Cardigan. It is accessed to the left of the AMC lodge, a short distance up the wide path just past the small pond. Mt. Cardigan is a beautiful spot with nice views on a clear day. The AMC has maps available on site.
This is a site that describes the "easiest route". It is accessed on the Orange side of the mountain vs the Clark/Cath. Forest which is accessed on the Canaan side.
http://www.summitpost.org/route/164944/west-ridge-trailhead.html#chapter_1

Last edited:
You could consider the route I recently hiked from the AMC Cardigan Lodge. It heads off on the Back 80 Trail and approaches Cardigan from the North. It is an easy route with multiple bail-out opportunities along the way. If you decide at Firescrew you've had enough there's an exit available. The same is true for the summit of Cardigan. If you still feel like more you can head for the South Peak, Rimrock, or even Orange Mountain with multiple exits along the way. You can decide as you go if you're feet are still in the game and act accordingly.

A while earlier before Winter I hiked a shorter route from Cardigan lodge as well. Both are documented in trip reports posted on VFTT.

Enjoy the hike! :) Remember the camera, there are great views all along the way.

Earl

West Ridge trail is definitely the easiest way to get to the top from a trailhead.
chinooktrail said:
I am looking for an 'easier' hike to work my foot back into hiking shape.
much sympathy, I've been in similar conditions off and on in the last 10 years...
some other suggestions:
- Morgan & Percival off Rt 113 in Holderness
- Hedgehog or Potash off the Kanc
- the Sugarloaves in the Zealand area (once Zealand Rd reopens)
- Mt Crawford in Crawford Notch

Cardigan's amazing. about a half hour from my house. I'll agree that the west ridge trail is easiest at 1.5 miles. It really does matter where you're driving from though. There is no quick way from one side to the other.

Warning though. Last time I saw Cardigan the top was entirely snowcapped. The slick nature of the bald top lends itself to ice, so bring traction if you go soon.

Last edited:
From which side will you be approaching? The best optins for rehabbing will probably be from the Canaan side, even with the winter closure (which adds 2/3 mile each way). The West Ridge Trail is the quickest and simplest (1.5 miles each way from summer trailhead to summit firetower), but there are a few variations if you find that you summitted too quickly and want to add distance.

The South Ridge Trail departs the West Ridge 1/2 mile after the (summer) trailhead. This heads up to Rimrock and is a fun hike. The Skyland Trail departs the West Ridge about 1.1 miles after the trailhead and climbs to Rimrock as well.

From Rimrock, you can take the South Ridge Trail to South Peak, and then on to Cardigan, most directly by the Clark Trail, which goes by a warden's cabin. This is a fantastic approach!

PM if you want more details. The trails can be a little confusing, especially coming off South Peak in snow.