Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know of any hikes that include a ghost town?

Does anyone know of any hikes that include a ghost town?

I was surprised to learn on New England Chronicle recently that Vermont has ghost towns. Sure Enough, http://www.ghosttowns.com/ lists ghost towns in New Hampshire and Vermont. At least one of them says you can't get there on a 4-wheeled vehicle, which makes me think some of them might be part of a nice hike. Does anyone know of any hikes that include a ghost town?

Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kimchi

Check out the Glastenbury Mtn area

After getting back from a fairly epic weekend backpack recently I stopped in to McNeills in Brattleboro for a replenishing brew. There are lots of interesting folks to chat with there. One of the older guys I know, Lee, is an antique book dealer and local history buff. He informed me that there is quite a bit of history around disappearances on and near Glastenbury Mtn. The loop hike on that mountain is pretty great with a fantastic shelter on the LT. He also informed me of a book called Mischief in the Mountains. An old book about strange happenings in the New England mountains.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff I suggest checking out books by Joseph Citro. He's the resident chronicle-er of the strange and paranormal and creepy in New England (specially VT) Green Mountain Ghosts. He has a book called Curious New England that might give you some ideas too. Maybe not long distance stuff, but off the beaten path for sure.

And way over in Mass there is Dogtown. That one is fairly well know though...
    Dogtown

I'm planning on checking the Joe Citro books out of the library so I'm armed with good frightening stories to freak me out(and any hiking partners) while I ramble through some of VT's 100 highest in the coming years!

Have fun!

The now abandoned Mt Peeling trail (?) off Rt 118 took you past the cellar holes of Peeling NH. You can find the trail description in old guidebooks but the trail was a mess of downed trees when I was there 20 years ago. I don't know if you follow it from the north, but might be able to from the south.

Glastenbury! Isn't that where the sasquatch is supposed to roam? That would explain everything.

There's an extensive ghost town in Little River State Park in Waterbury, VT. It was quite an area up on the hill overlooking what is now the reservoir. There are many trails for biking or walking in the area along with informational pamphlets given out by the park service that describes all the sites. Pretty interesting and beautiful in the fall. Not exactly untouched and unreachable, but a ghost town nonetheless.
    "Katahdin is a strange, lone, savage hill, unlike all others...It does not need superlatives to set it off." - Fannie Hardy Eckstorm

Vermont Views and Brews

I don't know that it qualifies as a ghost town - but there is what was once an Indian reservation off of the CT AT. Not sure exactly what is still there, but I have read that there are certainly remnants.
    "In that cool mountain air on an Appalachian Trail, Life is better there"
    -Yonder Mountain String Band

Adopted trail: Zeacliff

Hiking or biking around Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts you can see the remains of the towns of Dana, Prescott, Enfield, and Greenwich.

Actually, I don't think you can get to all 4, but still what's there is pretty cool. An example.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Not much of a hike but the town of Livermore on the Sawyer River road is preety large. The old ways for the sawmill are real impressive. I find that its better to visit in the winter as the old cellar holes and ground distrubances show up better than in the summer when the undergorwth blocks the views.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cozy
    If you're interested in this kind of stuff I suggest checking out books by Joseph Citro. He's the resident chronicle-er of the strange and paranormal and creepy in New England (specially VT) Green Mountain Ghosts. He has a book called Curious New England that might give you some ideas too. Maybe not long distance stuff, but off the beaten path for sure.

I'm planning on checking the Joe Citro books out of the library so I'm armed with good frightening stories to freak me out(and any hiking partners) while I ramble through some of VT's 100 highest in the coming years!
    Check out "Passing Strange" By Joseph Citro. That's a great book about weird things in new England and a real fun read!

Dudleytown is a legendary haunted ghost town in CT that gets a lot of press. The NY section of the AT between Fahenstock State Park and Bear Mountain Bridge has a lot of cellar holes, stone walls, and chambers near by with interesting history as well. Ninham Mt. is also close by Fahenstock as well, and it has a lot of stone walls, a firetower, cellar holes, and a stone chamber..... it is also reputedly haunted by either aliens or the ghost of Wappinger chief Daniel Ninham.

I grew up in a tiny town in central VT and there were a few 'ghost towns' around in the hills. I remember one called NoTown in particular. The hills and woods are filled with old, long-abandoned settlements, often as a result of mining or logging activities. There's a particularly fascinating cemetary high on South Hill just south of the town of Pittsfield, with lots of old, slate headstones dating back hundreds of years. But, if you're hoping for a town with recognizable buildings - I think you'll be disappointed for the most part. At best, there are cellar holes and maybe a stone wall, and sometimes the cellar holes are hard to distinguish. With the amount of rain and freeze/thaw cycles, structures simply deteriorate and vanish rather quickly.

If you hike Pocumtuck Mountain in Massachusetts (the 1.872 foot one, not the Pocumtuck Range in Deerfield) via Colrain, you'll go through the old Catamount area (they had the first schoolhouse in the country to fly the American flag). No buildings stand, but there are still old roads, foundations, and cemetaries throughout. It's been abandoned for almost a century now.

http://www.franklinsites.com/catamount/

It used to be travelled frequently by Jeeps, however since the ban about a decade ago, it's a pretty remote area - no trail blazes, etc. Nice view from Pocumtuck's southern ledge.

In NY, there is Doodletown in Harriman SP. Not exactly a "ghost"town but it is an abandoned town with a really good book written on it by a person who lived there... It's in Orange/Rockland county...

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

Monson

Monson is a southern NH ghost town with trails around and through it. The hike itself is tame, perhaps a couple miles if you walk all the trails.

http://www.oldnh.com/monsongt.html

This thread had a lot of info last year, I believe:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8511

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Speaking of Ghost Towns, this one isn't even in the US but this account is pretty interesting:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before but it's worth rementioning.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide

Dogtown on Cape Ann might be good place to hike

Towns have come and gone in many many places in New England probably more than can be counted. Quabbin Reservoir reservation has quite a few abandoned towns under and above water. In particular areas where there was mines that got played out or logging exhausting the forest (Think Livermore on Sawyer River). One spot of interest would be Dogtown on Cape Ann near Gloucester and Rockport MA. The town was located in a boulder field. One enterprising stone cutter carved numerous messages and mottoes on the sides of boulders and they remain today for the curious hiker to discover. See this website for story of Dogtown and collection of photos of the Babson Boulders.

Babson Boulders and Dogtown
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."