Shawangunk fatality

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
Came across this article in the on-line edition of the Times-Herald Record this afternoon, a newspaper based in Middletown, New York. Will keep you informed as more news develops. Originally the news was a climber, but now it indicates a hiker.

Hiker dies in fall off Shawangunk Ridge cliff
By Paul Brooks

Times Herald-Record
April 20, 2007
Gardiner - A 69-year-old male hiker apparently fell to his death from a cliff on the Shawangunk Ridge sometime yesterday.

Two hikers found the victim’s body at the Gunks climbing area near Trapps Road, off Route 44/55, about 6:15 p.m. yesterday.

Police are withholding the hiker's identity pending notification of next of kin. Check back with Recordonline.com later today for more details.

Last edited:
That's awful....my condolences to the family.....Few months ago I went there with Matt C and Rocky summit....I liked going by the edge to look down....later on I thought about "what if" a gust of wind came.....I think next time I'll stay 5-10 ft away...once again my condolences...

Thanks for the posts Aaron. There is also an article in the Kingston Daily Freeman today which fills in a few details. The man was staying at a motel in New Paltz. He was solo rock climbing when he fell 80' onto a narrow ledge.

The articles are not very specific on the location. The "Trapps Road" is the carriageway south of Route 44/55, and so the accident may have been in the "Near Trapps" near the Millbrook Mountain Trail. North of Routes 44/55 the carriageways are known as Undercliff and Overcliff Roads, however, the accident may have been in this area known as "The Trapps" is a more popular climbing area.

Last edited:
For those who know the cliff, the fatality occurred in the Trapps on the climb called Frog's Head. A few prayer flags hung from trees at the base of the climb today. Although Frogs Head is not a difficult climb (5.6 -), it seems unusual that a 69 year-old would solo it (without a rope and belay). Condolences to the family.

Wow, that's really awful and sad... Frog's Head was my 2nd lead in the Gunks.
Very sad :(

I was up there Fri bouldering. At the time I hadn't known of the accident so I didn't think much of the strange ash like substance (looked like campfire ash) that was scattered about at the base of frog's head. It was only after talking to a ranger later on that I learned of the accident and realized that the "ashes" were probably spread to "clean" the site.

I highly doubt that this man was a climber though. Apparently he had asked about the climbers trail that meanders along the top of the ridge. While it is sad that a person died, the media needs to stop labeling any person who dies or is injured while climbing/scrambling or just peering over a cliff as a climber. As a climber this is a huge pet peeve of mine as it gives the general public the feeling that climbers are dangerous and reckless when we are quite safe (well most of us). But I guess the title "Climber dies at Shawanagunks" instead of "Hiker dies at Shawanagunks" catches your attention a bit more.

Last edited: