Mt. Morgan/Mt. Percival loop 4/21/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
After yesterdays trek over the Franconia Range I wanted something with the best chance of little to no snow. The southern facing Morgan and Percival loop fit the bill and was also an "easy" enough hike to bring some friends who don't hike as much as I do. The caves and ladders also give it the "wow" fun factor, coupled with a beautiful day to make a good experience. So myself, my housemate Ryan, his girlfriend Courtney, and our friend Katie were good to go.

Took the loop clockwise up Morgan first, both the Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival trails were free of snow, just wet and muddy in spots. The cave after the ladders going up Morgan is a VERY tight squeeze right now because of snow but the 4 of us all made it by throwing our packs through first, getting on our stomachs, and pulling ourselves through with our arms, super fun! The ridge trail between the summits was covered in snow but no postholing. The lakes and mountains were beautiful again today and everyone was enjoying the day out. Took good breaks on the Mt. Morgan view ledge and an even longer one on Mt. Percival munching on snacks and taking in the sun and lake views.

On the descent we went the "ballsy" way off the front of Percival through the boulders. Although the cave squeeze on Percival was still blocked by a lot of snow, we were able to rock-hop around it to the right back to the trail. The rest of the walk down the Percival trail was free of snow but wet, and after the first half mile it was a pretty mellow walk through the woods. We took the connector trail back to the cars parked at the Morgan trailhead. A beautiful day out, mother nature sure is blessing us with some weather, huh? 75 and sunny tomorrow, hopefully I'll be running around on Welch-Dickey!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the very informative post, TDawg!! I had been wondering whether there were any snow-free trails right now. Looks like this loop is a good option.

Anyone done Mt Pemi by the Indian Head Trail (from Rt 3 near the motel) recently (after the Nor'easter)?? That's another potentially snow-free trail (low elevation, south facing, open hardwoods almost to the top).

Thanks, I was wondering about that loop hike yesterday while postholing up Mt Isreal. That will be my next hike.

Happy Trails :)

TDawg said:
Took the loop clockwise up Morgan first, both the Mt. Morgan and Mt. Percival trails were free of snow, just wet and muddy in spots. ... The ridge trail between the summits was covered in snow but no postholing.
Did you use snowshoes on the ridge, or was there just a small amount of snow?