Expedition/Weeklong Packs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
I'm looking to replace my expedition pack that I've been using for the past 13 years as it's not very comfortable, it doesn't fit me well, and it's pretty heavy. For those interested, it's a Lowe Alpine Sentinel 75 + 20.

What I'm looking for is something in the 5000-5500ci neighborhood, under $200, and under 6lbs. I plan to use this both for weeklong backpacking trips and mountaineering out west (and beyond) so it's gotta fit a lot of stuff and stand up to heavy loads. Of course, the most important thing is fit and load suspension.

In my research, I saw some interesting models and brands that I'm wondering if anyone has experience or has heard much about:

Cabela's Diamond Peak Ridgeline
Golite Odyssey
Jansport Big Bear or Klamath
Kelty Red Cloud
Marmot Alpinst 85
Mountainsmith Circuit 3.0
REI Mars
North Face Outrider 75
ALPS Mountaineering Cascade or Denali

Any information about any of these models would be appreciated as would information about anything else that fits my criteria and is built to last and is comfortable. Thanks!

Well, two popular brands that are not on your list are:

Gregory & Osprey.

But, I suspect they may exceed your budget. Might check if the fit and weight justify the extra cost.

Are you currently filling the 5500 ci backpack? Many people are downsizing their packs.

I bought an EMS Long Trail II last year:

EMS LTII

Its volume runs anywheres from 5000-5600 cu. in. depending on size (S, M or L) and weight is from 4 lbs to 4lbs 7 oz. Overall I like this pack for backpaking. I had to buy such a big one at the time because my sister did not have a backpacking pack, so I got stuck carrying a lot of our gear. But I digress.

large volume but lighter in weight than others of its size
Price
comfortable (for me at least)

Dislikes:
Top loading only means you have to dig to get at stuff near the bottom
Not Hydration bladder compatable (not that big a deal really)
its awfully wide, as to be expected (which is why I decided to get a new winter pack instead of keep using this one.)

Brian

I sold a Lowe Alpine Contour 90 + 15 that I was very happy with, but wanted something lighter. I believe they now have a "Hyperlite" series of the Contour's :rolleyes: . Separately, I believe Sierra Trading has the Red Cloud on sale. I have the Kelty Shadow 4500, which I like but would be too small for your needs.

Although they once were the leaders in the pack business, it has been my experience that Kelty packs are not that great. They're okay for the price, but the ones I used and seen in use are not very comfortable.

Currently I own a smaller REI pack and a larger Lowe Alpine pack. The REI pack is very well constructed and has a very nice suspension system. The same is true for the LA. I am very happy with both brands.

I beleive Osprey packs are all made in Colorado, hence the price.

Keeo your eyes open on eBay, I got the LA pack there a few years ago for $40 new.

in terms of comfort, I love my Lowe Alpine Alpamayo. Its about 6 years old, so it may or may not be still in production. The extra lower back pad by the hip belt is a great feature. It also contours and compresses well. The one drawback is the lack of exterior cargo. I have had to use add on pockets.

I have a Kelty Flight, which is discontinued, but similiar in design to their modular Spectra packs. If you can find one, I recommend trying it out. It has clip on side pockets, a big shovel pocket on the back and various removable tool loops and straps. It's around 70 L or so, at least I think it is. Mine is quite comfortable. Here's a review of it- I "know" the reviewer (he was a moderator on another forum) so I think his review is reliable info-it meshes with my brief experience with the pack.
http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=8&cid=27

Although I've never used one in the field, I've tried on the Osprey Aether 75 and 90 (also discontinued) and like the fit of both of them. Not too heavy and comfortable for someone with a slender to medium build.

Last edited:
My advice is to try some on - even bring some weight to stuff in in case the store doesn't have any. When I bought my large pack (awhile ago now), I was convinced that I wanted a Dana Designs as it had rave reviews from friends & in magazines. But after spending about half an hour unsuccessfully trying to adjust one to fit me I realized that it was not the way to go. 3 or 4 stores & many packs later I found a Gregory that fit me great. It did exceed my original budget, but was totally worth it!

I have an older version of this pack - I think. either way its similar

http://www.rei.com/product/739388

I really like the way my REI pack carries and I have had at least 65-70 pounds in it - at least one time ;)

I have also had similar size packs of:

LLbean - crap
Lowe Alpine: decent, but liked the REI feel better

can't comment on gregory,arcterx, osprey, etc.. they are good I know, but out of my $$$ range.

Lowe Countour 4,
Bladder, big loads, and great fit.
Purchased in vermont for $198.00
Lots of Miles and always a great pack.

Regards
SABERG

I have a 75 + 10 Wild Thing (used to be Jack Wolfskin I believe) and I love it. Very confortable, very roomy. I love the fact that it has 2 big side pockets (I usually store a mesh bag with all my repair stuff/pliers/headlamp/toothpaste,brush/deodorant/etc in one and MSR whisperlite in the other) and the top pocket is huge, with enough room to accomodate 1 balaclava, overmitts, 2 pair of fleece, 1 pair of heavy mitts and ski goggles (and a ziplock full of nuts).

Suspension is very good as well as padding: I paid mine for 179$ CDN at La Cordee (in Mtl, right next to the Jacques-Cartier bridge).

Killarney Ridge Backpack

Kelty Flight

TomD--
Yes, I have a Kelty Flight too which I used to hike the length of the NPT. I've never had to use the padded hipbelt, having managed always to stay below the 35lb limit, even in winter, so I wore the pack in the stripped down mode. It's really a climbing pack and pretty rugged, more so than most commercial ultralight packs. A useful mod to use the pack stripped down is to sew another tunnel on the pack for the webbing hipbelt, so you aren't reliant on the fallible velcro arrangement. I've never had to use the internal frame, either, so I can't comment on it.
Walt
TomD said:
I have a Kelty Flight, which is discontinued, but similiar in design to their modular Spectra packs. If you can find one, I recommend trying it out. It has clip on side pockets, a big shovel pocket on the back and various removable tool loops and straps. It's around 70 L or so, at least I think it is. Mine is quite comfortable. Here's a review of it- I "know" the reviewer (he was a moderator on another forum) so I think his review is reliable info-it meshes with my brief experience with the pack.
http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=8&cid=27